Landover 2/10/75

drpete

On 5/2/2016 at 10:24 AM, Dirty Work said:

I've been listening to people claim with certainty for years that 2/12 was the earliest board. Glad they were wrong! Not sure how they came to that conclusion but I feel you brother, me too.

Yep. There is still no pattern and the predictions are proven wrong again.  

Access to this many dates of the tour, across both legs, all in the same professional quality, all being funneled through one bootleg company. Come on.  This cannot be a random person sitting on a collection that they somehow compiled on their own, trickling them out like honey over the past 14 years. EV have released 13 soundboards from the 1975 US tour so far, and Landover will make 14.  No reason at all not to assume that they have the full tour, or are being given each show one by one.  The most "high profile" shows (regardless of whether they actually are the best of the tour), are the ones still being held back. The early shows with the Wanton Song and Levee, the remaining unheard dates with no audience source, and the favorites like Long Beach 3/12, Seattle 3/21, and the LA run 3/24, 3/25, 3/27.  The filler inbetween where the band was nearly recovered (like this Landover show, Detroit, Philadelphia, and the early New York dates) will fill out the release schedule.  It's anybody's guess.

5 hours ago, pluribus said:

Yep. There is still no pattern and the predictions are proven wrong again.  

Access to this many dates of the tour, across both legs, all in the same professional quality, all being funneled through one bootleg company. Come on.  This cannot be a random person sitting on a collection that they somehow compiled on their own, trickling them out like honey over the past 14 years. EV have released 13 soundboards from the 1975 US tour so far, and Landover will make 14.  No reason at all not to assume that they have the full tour, or are being given each show one by one.  The most "high profile" shows (regardless of whether they actually are the best of the tour), are the ones still being held back. The early shows with the Wanton Song and Levee, the remaining unheard dates with no audience source, and the favorites like Long Beach 3/12, Seattle 3/21, and the LA run 3/24, 3/25, 3/27.  The filler inbetween where the band was nearly recovered (like this Landover show, Detroit, Philadelphia, and the early New York dates) will fill out the release schedule.  It's anybody's guess.

There is obviously a pattern, it is absurd to say otherwise.  I do not know who Dirty Work (whom you quote) is referring to, but it can't be me since I've only been posting here for 1/2 year (not "years") and I've made clear my reason for my position on this topic (hence he can't claim ignorance as to why, on my part).  To repeat:  EVERY '75 (and '77) SB has come from a contiguous set of dates, namely mid-Feb (end of the first leg) to mid-March (end of the second leg).  The new Landover show does not break that pattern.  The probability that the source has January shows and has not released any is very small.  Hence the available evidence points to the source coming from a specific subset of the entire tour.  And not a random person, but someone who stole a block from a chronologically arranged set.  Evidential/probabilisitic reasoning is not infallible, of course, and I didn't think there were any more Feb shows (and I admitted I was wrong).  But it's a question of what theory is most consistent with observations, and more importantly, is there a mechanism for revising the theory as new information comes to light.  I see no reason to believe there are any January or LA shows.  But, I do know what it would take to change my mind, and here's the thing:  it's not the actual release of those particular shows.  Can you say the same? 

4 hours ago, JohnOsbourne said:

There is obviously a pattern, it is absurd to say otherwise...To repeat:  EVERY '75 (and '77) SB has come from a contiguous set of dates, namely mid-Feb (end of the first leg) to mid-March (end of the second leg).  The new Landover show does not break that pattern. 

For years, people swore that the range of 1975 boards started with New York 2/12 and ended with the first Vancouver show on 3/19. In fact, it was a full 10 years after Flying Circus appeared before Vancouver 3/20 came out. Previous to that, 3/19 was the latest show in the series. Now Landover 2/10 appears, 14 years after Flying Circus, and it's "I guess the range starts with 2/10 and ends with 3/20...THAT must be the range".  

Just look at the timeline of the soundboard releases. They started in 2002 with New York 2/12/75, then took 14 years to trickle out Orlando 8/31/71, Landover 5/26/77, Dallas 3/4/75, San Diego 3/14/75, St Louis 2/16/75, Houston 5/21/77, Vancouver 3/19/75, Dallas 3/5/75, Landover 5/28/77, Uniondale 2/14/75, Long Beach 3/11/75, Baton Rouge 2/28/75, New York 6/7/77, Seattle 3/17/75, Vancouver 3/20/75, Landover 5/25 and 5/30/77, Uniondale 2/13/75, Fort Worth 5/22/77, Fort Worth 3/3/75, and now Landover 2/10/75.

The only pattern here is that there will always be a new theory that coincides with each and every release. Prior to New York 6/7/77 coming out, people swore that only May shows were available from 1977. More than 6 months passes between each release and you hear the chorus of "That's it, they've run out. There aren't anymore boards. They're scraping the bottom of the barrel." Now it's "they have nothing from January 1975" or "they have everything up until LA 1975". It's the same old fortune telling, which has always been wrong.

15 minutes ago, TheGreatOne said:

I lost track with all these numbers.  Has it been 14 years since Orlando '71 ?  Maybe we are due for another '71 soon

Couldn't ask for anything more. I'd specifically want 9/3/71, which is reasonable since it's smack in the middle chronologically between the Orlando and Toronto soundboards

I think the pinnacle would be the release of the long rumored Japan 1971 multi-tracks, but who knows 

2 hours ago, pluribus said:

For years, people swore that the range of 1975 boards started with New York 2/12 and ended with the first Vancouver show on 3/19. In fact, it was a full 10 years after Flying Circus appeared before Vancouver 3/20 came out. Previous to that, 3/19 was the latest show in the series. Now Landover 2/10 appears, 14 years after Flying Circus, and it's "I guess the range starts with 2/10 and ends with 3/20...THAT must be the range".  

Just look at the timeline of the soundboard releases. They started in 2002 with New York 2/12/75, then took 14 years to trickle out Orlando 8/31/71, Landover 5/26/77, Dallas 3/4/75, San Diego 3/14/75, St Louis 2/16/75, Houston 5/21/77, Vancouver 3/19/75, Dallas 3/5/75, Landover 5/28/77, Uniondale 2/14/75, Long Beach 3/11/75, Baton Rouge 2/28/75, New York 6/7/77, Seattle 3/17/75, Vancouver 3/20/75, Landover 5/25 and 5/30/77, Uniondale 2/13/75, Fort Worth 5/22/77, Fort Worth 3/3/75, and now Landover 2/10/75.

The only pattern here is that there will always be a new theory that coincides with each and every release. Prior to New York 6/7/77 coming out, people swore that only May shows were available from 1977. More than 6 months passes between each release and you hear the chorus of "That's it, they've run out. There aren't anymore boards. They're scraping the bottom of the barrel." Now it's "they have nothing from January 1975" or "they have everything up until LA 1975". It's the same old fortune telling, which has always been wrong.

I'd be pretty confident that the current source of this stuff - and it seem to me most likely that it is a single source - is restricted to US shows in 1975 and 1977. Beyond that, all is (fun) speculation. Old-style tapers and collectors of this stuff can be an odd bunch (as opposed to sane and reasonable parvenue internet upstarts like myself), and I wouldn't put too much store on them always acting rationally. So it's hard to predict what might happen. It's very possible that the earlier 75 boards (Flying Circus and the two Earls Court shows) have a wholly different origin, as you have previously alluded.

I see no reason why there couldn't be something to come from January 75. That would be of far more musical and commercial interest than yet another Feb/March show. On balance I'm a sceptic... as time passes it seems less likely we will see anything from January, but who knows. What would be really interesting, in more ways than one, would be either of the Brussels/Rotterdam warm up shows from January 75.

Same goes for 21st March and the LA Forum shows. Those would be so obvious to put out, that the longer we go without them, the more we are likely to think they either don't exist, or are damaged etc. Actually, damage may well be a bigger reason for some no-shows than we think. These tapes are getting old.

One other thing is striking. It's interesting that some venues don't seem to leak at all. Chicago and the LA Forum were both big and successful venues in 75 and 77, but we have no board tapes at all from any of those 16 shows, barring a short and (I think?) officially-sanctioned snippet from LA 77. There may be something in that, although I'm not sure what.

Outside USA 75-77, I wouldn't expect anything new at this point, it's been so long. Although I'd be delighted to be proved wrong. We know (in broad terms) where the 73 and 80 stuff came from, and there's been nothing from 73 since, barring Southampton. But that's a special case, and was a few years ago now in any event. I'm sure Jimmy has all his boards locked up pretty firmly these days!

Thre are a few things that could come out officially, from what we know, as opposed to wishlists or speculation. Knebworth79, Earls Court 75, Southampton 73, a full treatment of all three MSG 73 shows , ditto for LA/Long Beach 72, Japan 71, RAH 70 and (possibly) Bath 70 are all plausible candidates for official live release. But Jimmy's on record as not being interested, sadly. He missed a trick when doing the reissues, these live shows would have made the companion disks far more interesting IMHO.

So any new show is good, for a band which stopped playing 36 years ago. I'll be glad to have a listen to Landover 75 when it lands.

55 minutes ago, ZEPKID said:

What about the famous Chicago "75 show with WTLB?  What's out there is pretty horrible!

Except for Plant's voice, that is a strong show. The two versions of Levee I hears, Chicago & Brussels, are performed well but they both have their issues. The Brussels gig has Plant's voice sounding much better than Chicago, however Chicago has the stronger playing by the band.

They should have made this song a staple as they pulled it off well even under bad circumstances...same with Wanton Song. Missed opportunities.

9 hours ago, IpMan said:

Except for Plant's voice, that is a strong show. The two versions of Levee I hears, Chicago & Brussels, are performed well but they both have their issues. The Brussels gig has Plant's voice sounding much better than Chicago, however Chicago has the stronger playing by the band.

They should have made this song a staple as they pulled it off well even under bad circumstances...same with Wanton Song. Missed opportunities.

agreed, both versions are pretty cool with decent solos by Jimmy and fantastic drumming by Bonzo, you can tell he is into playing Levee.

The performance of The Song Remains The Same at this show is one of their best. The sound quality is superb; especially the balance on the drums (Bass Drum, Tom Tom and Snare) along with the bass.  A stellar performance by the band.

Well, it's still a great '75 show, no doubt, but I have to admit for now being a tad disappointed in the new SB.  It does lose the vibe of the audience recording, and it amplifies Page's mistakes (e.g. Stairway has a few teeth-gritting moments).  Heartbreaker is really great, however.  Hopefully I'll warm to it more, but no way it's as good as the NY-area shows, not even close (the audience recording at least left open that possibility).

My Highlights are: 

Rock And Roll (Bonzo is on fire there)  Over The Hills And Far Away, Kashmir (especially the last two mins the band is on fire, really like the riff Jimmy plays before the last part, and Jonesys bass pedal thing sounds very good and clear). I think that Moby Dick is one of the better ones.

Lowpoints:

No Quarter is quite uneventful, Trampled Underfoot is not the strongest. They still are allright.

3 hours ago, rebeldhipi said:

My Highlights are: 

Rock And Roll (Bonzo is on fire there)  Over The Hills And Far Away, Kashmir (especially the last two mins the band is on fire, really like the riff Jimmy plays before the last part, and Jonesys bass pedal thing sounds very good and clear). I think that Moby Dick is one of the better ones.

Lowpoints:

No Quarter is quite uneventful, Trampled Underfoot is not the strongest. They still are allright.

Yes, unfortunately NQ in particular loses some of its atmosphere compared to the audience recording.

Honestly after listening to 3/12 and being blown away, I'm not sure 2/10 rates highly, but it is a very fun listen and has some great moments... 2/14, 3/11, 3/19 and 20, we have some good stuff already. Really solid stuff. 2/28 too noob mistake

thats right, there was the rumor that 3/19 was the "last board from 75 in EV's possession" and sh*t like that ... 

3 minutes ago, Dirty Work said:

Honestly after listening to 3/12 and being blown away, I'm not sure 2/10 rates highly, but it is a very fun listen and has some great moments... 2/14, 3/11, 3/19 and 20, we have some good stuff already. Really solid stuff. 2/28 too noob mistake

thats right, there was the rumor that 3/19 was the "last board from 75 in EV's possession" and sh*t like that ... 

Uh, so a rumor from 10 years ago?

4 hours ago, Dirty Work said:

Best Over the Hills and Far Away we have on soundboard from '75 in my opinion! It smokes!

IMTOD is growing on me. TSRTS smokes

There is that little mistake from Bonzo at the end of the guitar solo. But yeah superb effort.

On ‎5‎/‎8‎/‎2016 at 0:08 AM, JohnOsbourne said:

It does lose the vibe of the audience recording,

Believe or not this show has already been "re mastered" or at least tinkered with. It's on Youtube . He did the same thing with 5/22/77, I checked yesterday and lo and behold Landover 2/10/75 NEW SOUNDBOARD REMASTERED.

He added more crowd noise from the AUD source and did some obvious EQ work to suit his taste. I'm not knocking the guy I can barely turn my CPU on !

Archived