Is this Jimmy on piano?

nahu

I am almost certain that is not jimmy. to me is sounds like an outtake from john paul jones. if you listen to this there are some similarities in the piano. deathwish II credits David Sinclair Whittaker, david lawson and gordon edwards for playing piano.

I dont think jimmy really knew how to play piano. I read he did play the mellotron but thats not quite the same as playing the piano.

2agohs9.jpg

It's not Jimmy on piano or Jonesy, it's Dave Lawson. From the liner notes from Deathwish 2: Expansion:

Alternate Jill's Theme (Piano Theme)

"This was an alternate melody I had on guitar for Jill's Theme. It is played here on piano by Dave Lawson but did not feature in the film."

If we can believe Paul McCartney and Pete Townshend, it is easier to compose songs on a piano than a guitar.  Page, like many rock musicians,  may play piano well enough to work out melodies and chords, but not well enough to play piano on a recording or live performance.   A musicians of his stature would want to assemble the best musicians possible to work on his projects so he would have hired an experienced keyboard player.

Archived