Robert Plant makes surprise appearance at Deborah Bonham's Hereford gig

sam_webmaster

• Administrators
Robert Plant makes surprise appearance at Deborah Bonham's Hereford gig

http://www.herefordshirelive.co.uk/music/led-zeppelin-superstar-robert-plant-makes-surprise-appearance-at-deborah-bonham-s-hereford-gig

Was this the greatest moment in Hereford's proud musical history? Well, it was certainly one of them.

I'd heard a few rumours that this might be happening but to see it unfold just a few feet away from where I was standing at The Left Bank was still a shock to the system.

You don't expect a genuine superstar to leap on stage in Hereford. But this is exactly what Led Zeppelin front man Robert Plant did last night.

It comes as no surprise that there is a deep connection between Robert Plant and Deborah Bonham, little sister of the late Led Zeppelin drummer John Bonham.

The bond between them is one of family - Robert tells the audience it is as if he is Deborah's uncle. They know far too much about each other, he says.

IMG 2675

Deborah then walks off stage and Robert takes the stage to sing Zeppelin's 'When The Levee Breaks'.

She returns to perform the Johnny Kidd and the Pirates number 'Shakin' All Over' with him. 

A special moment for sure and one that will linger long in the memories of Hereford gig-goers lucky enough to be there.

There is no doubt Deborah Bonham has a sensational voice. She can tackle any genre from the Stevie Nicks-esque 'Take Me Down', to the ultra-bluesy 'Fly'. And the touching 'Old Hyde' about the family farm is quite simply epic.

We were also treated to a duet with folk singer Deborah Rose. Fleetwood Mac's 'Songbird' was the perfect choice, performed with a delicacy that was beautiful to behold.

IMG 2632

Deborah Bonham was supported by Rocky Road To Ruin, Raptor, and the Troy Redfern band. The event was a Hereford Rocks promotion. 

• Administrators

3.JPG

2.JPG

5.JPG

Photos by Helena Williams and Pat Lyons

-------------------

Led Zeppelin legend Robert Plant gives surprise performance at Deborah Bonham's gig at Hereford's Left Bank

Robert Plant performing at the Left Bank, Hereford. Photo: Richard Shakespeare.

Robert Plant performing at the Left Bank, Hereford. Photo: Richard Shakespeare.

ONE of the best-known names in rock and roll surprised an audience in Hereford on Saturday.

Led Zeppelin frontman Robert Plant turned up at the Left Bank where Deborah Bonham – sister of the rock band's drummer John Bonham – was performing with her own band.

Robert performed two songs – a Led Zeppelin track with Deborah's band and a cover of Shakin' All Over by Johnny Kidd and The Pirates with Deborah – to the delighted audience.

Promoter John Hales, of Porkbelly Promotions and Hereford Rocks, said: "I had a suspicion but nothing had been confirmed. It was something like intuition really, obviously with Deborah being John Bonham's sister and his [Robert’s] living close by.

"It made my day. He was a lovely guy, very amenable, chatty and willing to talk to people.

"I think everyone was over the moon. Everybody was ecstatic and cameras came out and everybody was having an amazing time.

"It transferred on to the stage as well. Teamwork made things possible and a big thanks must go to my publicity guru Clare Foster."

Mr Hales organises the Hereford Blues Club at the Booth Hall and anyone interested in finding out more about upcoming events can visit the Facebook page.

A blues festival is also being planned for the city for November.

http://www.herefordtimes.com/news/14465575.Led_Zeppelin_legend_Robert_Plant_gives_surprise_performance_at_Deborah_Bonham_s_gig_at_Hereford_s_Left_Bank/?ref=rss&utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Oh wow, how lucky for those attending.  I can't imagine how much of an awesome surprise this was
for the audience. Thank-you for all the links, articles and YouTube clips everyone has posted. :D

Archived