Led Zeppelin 1 LP

I noticed a copy of Led Zeppelin 1 on vinyl today (not sure of its age) and it was priced at £30.00 ($44.00). However when I looked closer the adhesive holding the cover together had completely perished in effect making the cover a single piece of card. The inner sleeve and disc seemed in reasonable shape.

Was that a bargain, or overpriced and have a missed on getting an original copy.

You maybe should have asked the store clerk. I'd speculate that if they are charging that much, there must be something special about it. If you ever see a record like that with a high price, you should ask the clerk what is special about it, because chances are there is something special about it, and that is the reason for the high price. For instance, long ago I was in the record store looking at Zeppelin albums, and I noticed a copy of "In Through The Out Door" that was more expensive than the others and I thought, "this is overpriced". It wasn't until later I found out it was a copy with the hardest to find printing, so definitely inquire when you see something like that anniemouse. :)

Ok I went back and bought it.

Not sure which version I have. Definitely dated 1969.  Orange lettering Matrix number and label match.

1.3 & 4 Superhype Music 3 Jewel Music

Confused about the matrix number. It ends in a letter then there is something else really tiny at the top right (could be an asterisk)

From what I have checked so far it is either version 3 or 4.

I am not really sure on the value, but I hope it's worth what you paid. Some places do overcharge so you have to exercise some caution and do some homework maybe before you buy. Did you ask them why exactly is it priced like that? I am not a pricing expert, hopefully some other people will chime in here and provide more feedback...

I was fascinated by their pricing policy. I noticed a copy of The Rolling Stones Sticky Fingers for £50 and Janis Joplin's in concert also for £50. This seemed to be the price of most of the classic vinyl. Noticed some Yes Lp's Pentangle and some folk singers I had never heard of.

I have checked a few sites and I think I paid a fair price. Vinyl is in great condition as is the paper inner sleeve. Cover like I mentioned has the issue with the adhesive edges but has no damage/serious issues. You can tell it is old and I must say I had forgotten how thin early 1970's vinyl was.

From the publishing credits it is either a version 3 or 4 from the list Pb! posted. Been reading up on the plum label prints but mine is the classic Atlantic green / orange version.

I suspect that I might have to just be patient trying find other vinyl though and suspect that cheaper editions will be out there.

23 minutes ago, anniemouse said:

I was fascinated by their pricing policy. I noticed a copy of The Rolling Stones Sticky Fingers for £50 and Janis Joplin's in concert also for £50. This seemed to be the price of most of the classic vinyl. Noticed some Yes Lp's Pentangle and some folk singers I had never heard of.

I have checked a few sites and I think I paid a fair price. Vinyl is in great condition as is the paper inner sleeve. Cover like I mentioned has the issue with the adhesive edges but has no damage/serious issues. You can tell it is old and I must say I had forgotten how thin early 1970's vinyl was.

From the publishing credits it is either a version 3 or 4 from the list Pb! posted. Been reading up on the plum label prints but mine is the classic Atlantic green / orange version.

I suspect that I might have to just be patient trying find other vinyl though and suspect that cheaper editions will be out there.

I don't think you have an early pressing anniemouse, the give away is the Green/Orange label, that label was not used on UK Zeppelin albums until HOTH, all early press albums 1,2,3,4 were the Plum label. Orange/Green 1,2,3,4 will be re-presses. Unless of course you have a non UK press from somewhere that used the O/G label.

FYI my copy, catalogue number 588 171 with the "UPTIGHT AN' OUTASIGHT"  Atlantic Appretiation Society address on the rear of the sleeve. The runout groove has 588171 both sides with second 8 scratched out and another 8 scratched in, side one also has A#1  1  2    11. side 2 has B#1  1 S or a 5 ?  1 3. There is also a very thin grey bar along the bottom edge of the front sleeve. Publishing credit Side 1 has 1,3,4 Warner/7 Arts 2 Jewel Music   side 2 has 1,2,3,5 Warner Bros/7 Arts 4 Jewel Music..... Oh and Red/ Plum labels....

So am still in the dark if mine is an original or repress. (No other date on the disc sleeve other than 1969) I suspect I paid a fair price which is cool was never in it to make money just own a vinyl version of their first LP.

I will take care of it though as someone has obviously looked after it for some time and enjoyed listening to it.

My first thought is you overpaid but actually it is hard to find a clean copy of a classic title from the early 70's, and if you ever decide to sell it it's value will only increase.

As far as 'original' vs. 'repress' I will use book collecting terms:

The plum/maroon label versions are the 'first editions' - the one with the turquoise cover is a 'first edition, first state'.

You copy with the green and red label is a 'second edition' as JTM mentioned; it dates from early 1972 to 1975.

I am thankful for everyone's opinion. I actually bought it from a charity shop so if/have overpaid then so be it and the charity (in the case Oxfam)has benefitted.

Been an interesting experience learning about vinyl. Knew I was taking a risk though so no regrets. As for resale it has taken so many years to finally click with LZ's musical output and the disc will remain amongst my cherished possessions.

Thank you all for your advice.  

Archived