Elephants

Charles J. White

A bit off topic, but I heard about the poached ivory that they will burn which I think is ridiculous. I mean, the dirty deed is done, so why not sell the ivory instead and use the money for conservation? Burning it makes no sense.

I heard on the news that Ringling Bros is cancelling all of their elephant shows and sending the elephants off to some farm.  Such a shame as this was the best part of the circus when I was a kid.  Now all the circus is will be clowns and high wire acts.

On 5/15/2016 at 3:20 AM, kipper said:

I heard on the news that Ringling Bros is cancelling all of their elephant shows and sending the elephants off to some farm.  Such a shame as this was the best part of the circus when I was a kid.  Now all the circus is will be clowns and high wire acts.

That made me grin 

• 8 months later...
On 5/16/2016 at 4:07 PM, slave to zep said:

Animals are not here for our amusement. They deserve to free to live their natural lives.

I agree totally and anyone that would shoot and elephant or a Lion should be shot himself.  Like that asshole dentist.  I hope they really crack down on these bastards and stop the poaching for Ivory and for Tiger's and such.  These animals will go extinct if we do not step up and protect them.  It CAN happen.  It has happened.  Maybe many not due to humans but extinction has no morals or favorites.  We have to protect Elephants, Tigers, Rhino's, Whales, Florida Panther's and Manatee's and Gorilla's.  i know there are more than I have listed.  Polar Bears also.  

• 8 months later...

African Rhino Injures Poacher in Rare Reversal of Fortunes

by THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

NAIROBI, Kenya - A rhino turned the tables on a suspected poacher in Namibia, charging and injuring the man while he was allegedly tracking it.

The incident happened in Etosha National Park after suspect Luteni Muharukua and other alleged poachers illegally entered the wildlife area in hopes of killing rhinos for their horns, The Namibian newspaper reported last week.

The newspaper said the rhino "appeared from nowhere" and quoted Simson Shilongo, a police officer, as saying the rhino inflicted a severe leg injury on Maharukua after he fell while fleeing.

The suspect's friends found refuge for him on a nearby mountain and police arrested him there on Oct. 15, a day after he was injured, according to Shilongo Muharukua was being treated at a hospital under police guard.

The Namibian posted an online cartoon showing a snarling rhino butting a man with a rifle who is already ariborne from the blow. "The poacher, poached1" reads the caption.

Rhino poaching has increased in recent years in Namibia, which has one of Africa's biggest populations of the critically endangered black rhino. Neighboring South Africa is home to most of the continent's rhinos, including the more numerous white rhino species.

Rhinos have been heavily poached to meet demand for their horns in parts of Asia. Some consumers believe rhino horn can cure illnesses if ingested in powder form, although there is no evidence that the horn, made of the same substance as human fingernails, has any medicinal value. Rhino horn is also seen by some buyers as a symbol of status and wealth.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/african-rhino-injures-poacher-rare-reversal-fortunes-n813066

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/agents-arrest-16-rescue-smuggled-exotic-animals-operation-jungle-book-n812936

• 11 months later...
On 5/16/2016 at 1:07 PM, slave to zep said:

Animals are not here for our amusement. They deserve to free to live their natural lives.

My cats could never survive in the wild.  Besides, I keep them amused as much as they do me. I see how they look at me, and I know what they are thinking.

8 hours ago, kipper said:

My cats could never survive in the wild.  Besides, I keep them amused as much as they do me. I see how they look at me, and I know what they are thinking.

They should be allowed some outdoor time. 

How would you like to spend your life indoors 24/7!

Elephants MUST BE PROTECTED just like Tigers, Rhino's, Giraffe's and pretty much all of our wildlife.  The American Bison was almost wiped out.  Theodore Roosevelt, the best conservation President of ALL TIME,  did much to save them and bring their numbers back.  We need a new champion so save many of these endangered species.  The guy sitting in office now certainly not only does not care, but is not aware.  Billion dollar jackass. 

On ‎10‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 7:17 PM, slave to zep said:

They should be allowed some outdoor time. 

How would you like to spend your life indoors 24/7!

Dead right Joolz.  Our cat spends more time outdoors than inside most of the year, spring, summer autumn she only comes in to eat then she's off out. Winter she comes in to sleep during the day, she rarely stays in at night only if it's really cold or windy, snow too will keep her in. She treats the place like an hotel.

Anyway Elephants, a pic from our last visit to Chester Zoo 

nolUkK9FFjcioRsywpLo64ymWMzAxQoIBg-IsbBLhTiZfOVBZiru15tlJsoPiWvJNbDiIP9g-9zC0l--BhkQo_3lNeviPYPhUXv3fpkXQEwZjPxjVzN17C9A0GSSnz72OOAgNkFAPmhO2Y-fCxrsWf8kiekmD5lcHFYvXGBuhAXBiw1aXJPQNClwpJu6xeTdsHrcIsIOLavp7e6Mn8rIpR95MpQwMKp4mJKsaHFReTIcX2nZL8NaG8tmPEreDKmBxA0-UNVXfiZDB0ArkDL_O5r2CXbXNL6hVUc91x-3B0WT0x6OkxRBp3yST12q7-gEcE_eig7zFOzfUcBK5TFOLoeNi7AH4Dc_CN_H49VoKVmWHyqAuJGvx6B44MeigmWc53KXkoDqcCpiocYWnRTQEZJ5517qLytxrJJVWYk6fqspda0XxQVp52VLasYUgbWnuEJDvnC82CbUbQuxzFAvOX16-qO0pMdND6h_UKsZ1o4QaY_215tZqUrgCTXoyDi038DRAidmcTaSYLKyZJMyfMb5yo8baADrL-1sbOy_sB01VY0AOADm_cn5uPcG6IduOJwTAYHvfwh5dJOOeA7O3Znw__qlUSHFgVJATxShnI3WUlQy1a097gNoPtBxWZQ=w1113-h626-no

Edited by JTM

• 10 months later...