BEST LIVE VERSION OF NO QUARTER?

2 hours ago, tom kid said:

^ Have you listened to the version from the San Diego '75 show (the 'Conspiracy Theory' boot)? That must be one of the longest too, about 32 mins.

Indeed I have, that's a real fun one.  If I remember correctly, there are only six that crossed the half hour mark:

1. 6/22/77 LA:   ~34:00
  2. 6/27/77 LA:   ~33:30
  3. 6/26/77 LA:   ~32:30
  4. 6/11/77 NY:   ~31:45
  5. 3/14/75 SD:   ~31:00
  6. 6/23/77 LA:   ~30:30

A few others come close: 6/21/77 LA is just over 29:00, 6/25/77 LA is ~28:30 and 3/27/75 LA is ~28:30 with a cut, but I think the cut is patched on the releases that merge the alternate source and there isn't much missing, maybe 30 seconds or so.

14 hours ago, Nutrocker said:

Yep...sadly.

I admit I have little interest in solo Garcia but I do want track down a show or two from when he had Nicky Hopkins playing keys with him (1975, I think it was) just because I love Nicky's playing on anything, with anybody (even his cheesy sounding organ work on "Cherry Oh Baby" by the Stones😁)

Anyway, sorry for the diversion, gang- we should probably take the Dead talk to the Dead thread, back to yer scheduled "No Quartah" discussion...

Just one last thing on Garcia/the Dead. I noticed you mentioned you were wanting to track down some stuff with Nicky playing with the band. Check out this release

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Let_It_Rock:_The_Jerry_Garcia_Collection,_Vol._2

LetItRock.jpg

It's really good... Might change your opinion of the JGB.

1 hour ago, tom kid said:

Just one last thing on Garcia/the Dead. I noticed you mentioned you were wanting to track down some stuff with Nicky playing with the band. Check out this release

LetItRock.jpg

I'm going to check that out too -- an 18-minute "Let's Spend The Night Together" sounds fascinating! 😂

8 hours ago, tom kid said:

LetItRock.jpg

Heh, I grabbed a couple of JGB shows with Nicky Hopkins- 19 December and 17 October '75. Pretty good stuff, bit of a different context than regular Dead.

• 2 years later...

Holy thread revival, Batman!

I think they got it right 1975 with the right amount of "self-indulgent soloing" and setting the mood. By the end of 73 US tour they were getting the hang of setting the proper tone and mood around the piece and the key to that was JPJ-Bonham and JPJ Page interplay. Finding the ideas, tones, moods and timings. However, in 75 they really could deliver the right mood with the piece when they extended it.

Now, as for 75 I was long dependent on the EC 25th version and after that started to hear the US tour versions. However, when I heard EC 24th I thought this is it. What makes it for me in NQ is when JPJ starts his piano part, how he builds it up and a mini climax is reached when Bonham joins and they start to build that one up. On that 24th nigh JPJ's simple yet effective patterns make it very appealing for me. Yes, there are more jazzy and groovy, faster or slower jam sessions but this is the one, the part before Page joins in. It hooks me. Then Page joins but gently. Whatever happens after can only ruin it but he did not. He follows JPJ's and Bonham's ideas and continues to build up the tone and mood without any major bursts. Talking about them, the 21st June 77 version has really something in it with Bonham beating the shit out of the skins but when I consider to the whole piece that is when they are reeling me back in after "losing"me in the boogie section, which is a tad silly. It ain't bad but it feels a little disjointed.

Joints... that ist the thing with Zep live versions. They had a skeleton of a piece that they would work out every night. All parts had something in them and most nights they would be close to the mark with them and hit bull's eye with one or two parts. Like Dazed. So many parts, timings, ideas and riffs. Is there a version where they hit all of them. I doubt and I think we do not need one either. Studio is for that. Part of the attraction is to hear when they pick up on things on the spot.

Anyway, 24th EC flows the best for me and it makes it the most appealing version for me. If it is the best, I cannot say.

Do I make sense?

I've been thinking about a 10 ten for this song, and I think I have the first 9 rounded out....

2/16/75

6/23/77

8/11/79

3/19/75

2/28/75

7/17/77

5/24/75

7/18/73

2/13/75

After that, I'm having trouble deciding whether 2/14/75 or 7/17/73 should end the list. Then there's boots I haven't listened to as nearly as others--I'm sure if I listened to Seattle 21, 1975 more often, that would be a strong contender as well....

Edited by paul carruthers

12 hours ago, ohjimmy said:

July 28th/73….. Benchmark “No Quarter” . The perfect version.

It is the JPJ playing that starts at roughly the 41 minute mark, which is the tone setter here. The notes he hits at 42.57 have the perfect timing and tone. One of those things that hit you in the gut you here them the first time. Definitely the most coherent 73 version I have heard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4Ig_8En93A

Edit: just listened to the one from 27.3. 1975 for the second time. It does get points for effort 😁

Edited by JMH

• 2 weeks later...

Listening to 20.3.75 Vancouver for the second time in row. Have heard this one before but now I realize it has a great uptempo jam section. Nornally I have felt the slower tempo ones are my favourites but at least this one works very well.

Anyway, all these get blurry after a while but I have listened to 21. & 27.3. recently and I have a feeling this one tops them.

I hate any 1977 NQ. Too long . Period. Plus I thought  Pagey and his tone was off key at times. The boogie woogie stuff , to me, was added because that’s what Jimmy could play well at the time. It’s not hard. However, fine tone and picking while adding bent note crescendos and so forth takes concentration and alertness….which he wasn’t in 1977. Jones was completely self indulgent and bored half the audience. Jeez I can only imagine what Planty was thinking sitting on the sidelines watching this. Jimmy was not fluent and his fingers were all jumbled in his picking. 
1975 versions were the best ..Montreal stellar. Jimmy’s tone, phrasing and buildup was so emotional. LA has a great version too with some fine wah wah stuff that has Page sounding like Peter Frampton in some parts. Jones buildup is short and sweet.It was mid career for the lads. Jimmy’s hair was super long and the Les Paul was getting lower and lower ..haha..and there are many nights where the holding back, pauses and tension make the whole solo. 

On 9/23/2022 at 9:44 AM, Blaize86 said:

I hate any 1977 NQ. Too long . Period. Plus I thought  Pagey and his tone was off key at times. The boogie woogie stuff , to me, was added because that’s what Jimmy could play well at the time. It’s not hard. However, fine tone and picking while adding bent note crescendos and so forth takes concentration and alertness….which he wasn’t in 1977. Jones was completely self indulgent and bored half the audience. Jeez I can only imagine what Planty was thinking sitting on the sidelines watching this. Jimmy was not fluent and his fingers were all jumbled in his picking. 
1975 versions were the best ..Montreal stellar. Jimmy’s tone, phrasing and buildup was so emotional. LA has a great version too with some fine wah wah stuff that has Page sounding like Peter Frampton in some parts. Jones buildup is short and sweet.It was mid career for the lads. Jimmy’s hair was super long and the Les Paul was getting lower and lower ..haha..and there are many nights where the holding back, pauses and tension make the whole solo. 

Come on now... You're being very harsh on '77 for it's length and self indulgence while a few lines down praising '75! There is a version from '75 that clocks in at 35 mins, which I love by the way. If you were to average the length of the '77 and '75 versions I'd say that they would be very similar in length. Page had some very sloppy nights in '75 also.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 10 months later...
On 9/22/2022 at 10:44 PM, Blaize86 said:

Deffo a matter of taste here. Just listened to the June 22nd 1977 and love so much of what Page does in his solo, amazing funky rhythm breaks at the start and some classic off the wall phrases. Admittedly it doesn't have a build or release to it but Page and Bonham are constantly pushing for exciting stuff. The blues section is crap as usual  though.

• 2 weeks later...

Listening to EC 18th May and that NQ has not yet ignited me... strange. The 24th one got me right away when I heard it the first time.

To make clear, not the first time I am plowing through the show.

Edited by JMH