Does anyone no where to find correct tab for stairway to heaven?

The

I'm trying to learn stairway to heaven and all the videos I've seen on youtube on how to play the solo are clearly wrong.All the online tabs I've found for the solo are wrong too.I just want to play it 100% correctly and when I finish learning it,I will put the first correct stairway to heaven solo tutorial on youtube.

Thank you if you reply

This guy has one of the best solo's tutorials for Stairway on the web - here is the half speed version - check out his full speed version as well.  I slightly disagree with a couple of his actual moves and position choices but it's almost 100% (he's about 99% - which as you know for Stairway on the web is pretty good. Most guys are not anywhere close).

I know Stairway very well and have just finished a 6 month recording project transcribing every single part. Here's some tips that will help you learn the solo.  First: the solo - is way faster than you think it is. 95/96 bpm .  Break it down into pieces and gradually thread them together as you learn and keep pushing yourself to play to speed.  You want to get serious and have some real fun? Download REAPER -- it's a recording program like protools and free to demo and use for as long as you want.  Drag Stairway into the program -- ignore the bpm settings.  You can speed up or slow down the song at pitch (or change pitch - but I'd keep it to pitch) which will help you practice along and help you "hear" what's going on.

Keep practicing (literally -- 100's of times until you can play it perfect).  Then when you think you can play it perfect practice it 100's of more times and really try to get into the feel of it. Most guys on the net blow the feel (that's assuming they can even play it right).  If you master the notes AND THE FEEL you'll be a waaaaaaaay better guitar player for it - and a waaaaay better musician - plus you wont be a hack.  There are so many hack versions of Stairway on the net it isn't funny.

As far as transcriptions go over the years there have been several in the various guitar mags going back to the 80's. (Guitar World & Guitar for the Practicing Musician were the two biggies)  Seek those out if you can - they might be floating around out there.  There are also a couple of note for note songbooks too.  Problem is - lots of these are "wrong" --- the degree to which they are wrong varies - some are crap, others are pretty good with only a few being excellent.  Watch out and let your ear guide you. Most can be found on various torrent sites or purchased on Amazon or your local music store.

Specifically Alfred has a new "Platinum album Edition" they have just released --- the guitar one is good (though I was disappointed they didn't do an off the record version as a complete album score).  There's also an old Alfred "Off The Record" edition out there that's pretty good - not perfect but darn good.   Use your ear.  If you are really serious about learning Stairway be warned - it is deceptively simple but is actually enormously complex. It's just an amazing song and recording. I first learned it when I was 12 or 13. I've got a couple of stories about Stairway on my website dogoverlava.com if you want to look those up for fun - I talk about the year my band played it for a talent show when I was 13 or 14.

Anyway -- good luck.

There's a songbook you can buy called "Led Zeppelin Complete" (even though it only has the first five albums) published by Alfred, that has the tabs for the acoustic portion. It's pretty much accurate. It sounds good anyway. Why do you care if it's 100 per cent accurate as long as it sounds good? In my experience tabs are usually 80-90 percent accurate but you can figure out the rest once you have 80-90 percent of it down.

As for the electric solo, there's a Youtube video out there that has most of it. I can't remember the guy's name. Once you learn most of it you will see it is played on A minor pentatonic positions and you can figure out or improvise the rest.

Listen closely to what DogsoverLava said. Besides the transcription sources, etc., there are certain sections of the studio

solo where Jimmy is kind of playing behind,on, or in front of the beat. What does some of this mean ? Mainly that 

there are many notes which are not straight 1/4, 1/8, or 1/16 notes , or even simple groupings of those notes. I myself

have figured out the solo for students many times, but very quickly I forget the exact feel of certain sections. The TSRTS

version is much harder still, with numerous sections where Jimmy  is simultaneously nailing the changes, yet also

sort of  playing a parallel line, almost like a jazz soloist. Any disputes here ? It's really harder than it sounds.

If you listen to the out-takes (yes they are out there) Jimmy was having a hard time with the solo. He was having trouble threading together something that worked.  His early efforts sounded more "trapped" in the boxes he was playing in - thematically he just didn't have the narrative UNTIL the take on the record.  I agree it's harder than it sounds for sure. It's also hard to play against the rhythm guitar. You really have to know how to orientate in time with it like Mithril says -- you have to learn where to stick it to get the timing.  When I learned the solo I literally played it about 1000 times as I learned it.  When I recorded it I cut about 30 passes a night  for several weeks until I was happy with it.  By the time I was done I could play it on demand at any tempo, starting at any point in the solo (you need to be able to do that to own it).

Something that's challenging to most students when learning things like this is that they learn it to the point where they can sort of play it, then they kind of get lazy and wing it in a half correct half improvised way.  The absolute key to learning this and retaining it in your ability is muscle memory and your ear.  You have to be able to play it backwards and forwards to the point that fingering the notes becomes boring - mindless. If you are struggling to keep up in any section then you've not drilled through it enough.  Keep going - push harder.

This goes for anything -- take any Yngwie run --- Any player (novice or pro) can nail any Yngwie run if you spend the time with it and play it backwards and forwards. It might takes weeks or months but by the time you are done you'll be able to play it anytime/anywhere -- and it will work itself into your playing - expand your vocabulary.... same with scales and scale patterns ---- sure you can "play" them -- but have you drilled them so you can actually play them at tempo anytime anywhere?  That's how you learn stuff.  You gotta put in the work.

I've never tried to play TSRTS version but it's very cool - maybe I'll try that one day too.

Archived