LA Drone?

Jukkin

I was listening to A Night At Heartbreak Hotel tonight and, like always, played all through LA Drone as I think it's a brilliant way of building anticipation - I was actually surprised that its was put together by Jimmy and John-Paul with Jimmy bowing an acoustic guitar - for some reason I always assumed to was some LA type thing used by the promoters. Duh! Anyway when I was reading about LA Drone on Wiki I was really surprised to see that it was only used over a thirteen day period - June 15th to 28th, 1972. The band played 10 concerts during that period and only one was at the forum - June 25th. The idea as I've said was to build anticipation and excitement and it really sounds like something that would do exactly that if you were at one of the concerts. So, why only 10 gigs in 13 days? Why was it binned, anyone know? A real shame. The drone running into Immigrant Song always gives me goosebumps. Having some dude or dudette introducing the band and then listening to then fine tuning just can't compare to starting with LA Drone.

I have no idea why they stopped using it but I agree, it's a cool intro.  And from a period in which some would argue the band were at their peak as a live act - I think Jimmy made this point regarding why he chose the June 72 shows for HTWWW.  So when I hear it, I think, man this is when they had it all going on.

I've been going to gigs since 1983 - my first being Robert Plant at the Rosemont Horizon in Illinois. So I never had a chance to see Zeppelin. But the LA Drone post got me thinking....

Was there music played before they took the stage? With no opening band, was there any "entertainment" before the house lights when down? 

33 minutes ago, The Only Way To Fly said:

I've been going to gigs since 1983 - my first being Robert Plant at the Rosemont Horizon in Illinois. So I never had a chance to see Zeppelin. But the LA Drone post got me thinking....

Was there music played before they took the stage? With no opening band, was there any "entertainment" before the house lights when down? 

If you have been to concerts you should know the drill. There is usually a mixtape of music played over the house P.A. before and between bands at a concert. Some bands will have a personalized mixtape made of their favourite songs to give to the soundman.

Then, just before the band takes the stage, the music is cut off and the house lights darkened. If a band has an elaborate intro planned (Elton John at the Hollywood Bowl, the Rolling Stones in 1975, Led Zeppelin's drone intro in 1972), this is when they begin.

Otherwise someone will introduce the band (Led Zeppelin in 1975), or if there is no intro, the band will just walk on stage and begin like Led Zeppelin did in 1973 and 1977.

I loved the drone in 1972 and wished Jimmy had included more of it on the official HTWWW release. It played for almost five minutes before the band started.

It was a very cool way to start the show.  Wonder why it wasn't used before the 15th?  Also wonder if it was the inspiration behind the "In The Evening" intro?  I always like the Page/Plant intro they used in the 90's.  Gave a good build up too, IMO.

Archived