Am I the only one who hates Jimmy's noise solos?

Eman the Epic

Nope, I hate them too as IMO they are Jimmy's "Yoko Moment" as they are more avant garde sound solos than guitar solo until he picks up the damn bow. I understand what he was trying to do  but I believe the heroin usage prevented him to focus which resulted in one long sonic mess.

I also feel the same about Bonham's Over the Top solo as well. Unless you have naked honeys juggling fire at the same time, even the best drum solo gets real boring, real fast after 10 min max...and that's pushing it at that.

Now that I think of it, if Cirque du Soleil had been around in 77', Zep could have pre-dated Celine Dion's Vegas act by 30 years.

I dont hate them but I dont really listen to the later, super long stuff. I like the earlier stuff like dazed and confused and whole lotta love.

53 minutes ago, badgeholder said:

You had to be there. And be stoned. And say "far out" a lot:lol:

:lol:

On 6/4/2016 at 11:29 AM, badgeholder said:

You had to be there. And be stoned. And say "far out" a lot:lol:

52 minutes ago, SteveAJones said:

They haven't aged well at all.

Agreed!  Too long, repetitive and uninspired...

If it was more along the lines of the bowed guitar intro Jimmy did for "In The Evening" at the 1979 Knebworth shows, it'd be much better.

Doing the drum solo and then Jimmy's Noise Solo back to back as they did most nights...what the fuck were they thinking? Any momentum the band had built over the previous two hours of the concert died right there.

20 hours ago, Sue Dounim said:

Im gonna regret saying anything but I love them. One of the coolest things about the 77 tour if you ask me

When I first got Destroyer on vinyl sometime around 1980 when I was in high school, I struggled with the whole thing until I got to the Theremin solo. It blew my little psychedelic mind away. 

I love the Theremin solos of the 1977 tour. They were ahead of their time. I don't feel the same way about the noodling before or the bow after. The Theremin solo of 6/25 is my current favorite. 

There is just something otherworldly about the echoes he gets. I love it to no end. The thought of those sounds bouncing around an arena are just breathtaking to me. I want to create a compilation of them someday.

Most of the noise solo's are awful but as was mentioned the earlier ones are more tolerable.

Having said that Moby Dick and Over the Top do not always get skipped it depends on how long they run. Anything over 20 minutes and i start to lose interest .

However, naked beauties juggling fire would take a while to tire of.

Even some of the real long anti-climatic  Dazed and Confused get skipped over. 3/27/75 immediately comes to mind. But the earlier 70's 18-20 minute Dazed and Confused are among my favorites.

Visually, they were stunning. Sonically, some were better and more focused than others. "Star Wars" had just been released so the theramin part sounded like a lightsaber duel.

But the important reasons for the drum and guitar solos were these:

1. It gave Robert time to rest his injured leg and foot...and his voice.

2. It gave us in the audience time to take a piss and refuel at the snack bar without missing the finale of "Achilles Last Stand" and "Stairway to Heaven". The solos on the 1977 tour usually came at just over two hours into the show. I don't know about you, but I have never known a girl who can go more than two hours without pissing.

19 hours ago, Strider said:

Visually, they were stunning. Sonically, some were better and more focused than others. "Star Wars" had just been released so the theramin part sounded like a lightsaber duel.

But the important reasons for the drum and guitar solos were these:

1. It gave Robert time to rest his injured leg and foot...and his voice.

2. It gave us in the audience time to take a piss and refuel at the snack bar without missing the finale of "Achilles Last Stand" and "Stairway to Heaven". The solos on the 1977 tour usually came at just over two hours into the show. I don't know about you, but I have never known a girl who can go more than two hours without pissing.

True, but what lady needs 30 minutes to piss?

2 hours ago, Strider said:

You have obviously never been to a concert at the Forum. The lines are ridiculous.

True, but why don't the ladies just use the mens room? I have been to several concerts in the 80's when the women waiting in those long lines just said "fuck it" and went into the mens room. No one seemed to care and even applauded the ladies for their assertiveness.

Whoops, think I just veered WAY off topic...

I can't remember if it's only in the LTTE show  6/21/77, but in the solo for that show around the 8 minute mark, you can see a huge influence on the attached Eddie Van Halen song "Cathedral".

So much so, I first thought that was what the bootleg title was ribbing EVH about.

1 hour ago, IpMan said:

True, but why don't the ladies just use the mens room? I have been to several concerts in the 80's when the women waiting in those long lines just said "fuck it" and went into the mens room. No one seemed to care and even applauded the ladies for their assertiveness.

Whoops, think I just veered WAY off topic...

You'd have to be a brave woman to go into the men's room at the Forum. It could get pretty gross...piss and vomit everywhere.

Frankly, when I said the lines were ridiculous I wasn't just referring to the ladies room. All of the lines were a hassle...men's room, snacks and beer, merch table. There's 18,000 people...there are going to be lines wherever you look.

I hope it's not a harbinger of things to come but a month ago at a Derek Trucks show at NJ PAC the had a 30 minute intermission right smack after a scintillating Guitar Solo. First time I ever saw that happen. Talk about breaking momentum. It ruined the show for me.

• 2 weeks later...

Depends on how long they go on for and how he played it.

personally I think the knebworth ones were perfect not too long and I have always loved the bow section.

suppose there is a massive difference between seeing and experiencing it and listening to it cold on a recording. Although I take the point that on the 1977 tour it was probably factored in as part of giving Robert a rest.

moby dick/over the top probably splits opinions in a similar way.

Nope I'm NOT  a fan of listening to it at all,  but let's keep that our little secret ;). I'm sure live
like Strider pointed out,  it was a chance for the crowd to get a bathroom break, whatever,  
and for band members to take a breather depending on who was soloing Jimmy, Bonzo etc  
but listening to it after the fact in your home  nah I'll pass.   I like 1977 but an edit button was
needed - either that or somebody should have forgot to pack Jimmy's bow and theremin for
some of the 1977 tour.   And I say this as somebody who thinks  the bow / theremin for some
shows was a pretty cool section.   The only thing about getting too trigger happy with the edit
button is I love  A L S,  so I'm royally pissed if I cut some out because I'm trying to chop out some
of  Jimbo's noise solo.   I should also say seeing compared to only listening  could greatly change
my opinion.  

Archived