Does anybody know what Magic Mike looks like?

20 minutes ago, Strider said:

And you know he was a 'burnout' how exactly?

No, he did not record bootlegs...he recorded concerts and traded tapes among friends but never bootleggers. It was other people who made his tapes available to bootleggers.

well just basing off the info we have from his alleged friends, they says he was still living with his mom and was a janitor in his later life. that doesn't exactly scream success to me.

and yes he was a bootlegger. he recorded and distributed copies of someone else's intellectual property. it doesn't matter if he didn't make any money off of it.

Edited by sk8rat

3 minutes ago, TheGreatOne said:

not exactly, some retired people do Janitor jobs.  When I grew up, my Janitor was involved with the WW2 Little Boy nuke.  It's a blurry memory as a child but remember he had a military picture of him next to the bomb with other people

that may be but as I said im going off of the info we have from people who knew him. they basically say he lived at home his whole life and didn't get out of the house much other than to do his job, as a janitor at a highschool and to record concerts.

11 minutes ago, TheGreatOne said:

Electronics were not cheap back then.  That popular recording device used looks like it weighs a good 25 pounds or so and cost few thousand dollars

Nakamichi was top of the line quality stuff. If you had a Nakamichi tape deck you were the envy of your friends. They weren't cheap.

41 minutes ago, Strider said:

Nakamichi was top of the line quality stuff. If you had a Nakamichi tape deck you were the envy of your friends. They weren't cheap.

F that! I had a sweet Panasonic 8-track & a Mr. Microphone. I was bustin out the dope rhymes and tracks in my hood. Cost me $25 for both and the salesgirl gave me an "old fashioned" since I was customer #100 for the day. She was no beauty but she did have Palmolive soft hand with the kung fu grip, which made me go drip, drip, drip.

I am completely puzzled by this thread...

Who cares who Mike Millard was?!

Who cares if Mike was a low life who lived with his mother and worked as a janitor?

Who cares if Mike Millard was his real name or just a cover name?

Who cares if Mike actually forged a wheel chair handicap to sneak in top-line recording equipment into concerts? Well that is actually a great question and is the only possible way I could possibly think of.. Please share any other possible way he could have brought in the recording gear that he used if you can think of any...

Who cares if Mike recorded those shows to make profit or to have for his personal pleasure and to share with his friends (which I couldn't imagine only having the original 'The Song Remains The Same' to listen to for live Zeppelin, which was the only live Zeppelin fans had in 1977. After seeing Led Zeppelin one time would force anyone to record their shows for their personal pleasure).

All I know is that Mike Millard gave us some of the greatest f***ing live albums of all times, and he certainly deserved to make a lot of money for his work, whether he actually made money or not. Mike Millard should have been hired by bands to record their concerts from an audience perspective as he was the only one who knew how to capture the magic. He is certainly someone who should never be bashed by anyone for what he did, and deserves nothing but a huge thank you from us and from the band themselves. His recordings can turn anyone into a huge Zeppelin fan! His recordings of Kashmir in LA 1977 alone are something to always treasure. I only wish he would have recorded Zeppelin in LA 1970, 1971, 1972, and 1973 as well.. Heck, I wish he recorded every single Zeppelin show!!

Who cares if Mike is really still alive ?     - I think that would be very fascinating

Nobody dies and no record of it ?   He had to have been a citizen with social security number and this was a Suicide so the newspaper for many counties would have this on micro-film at the library.

Of all the friggin Zeppelin mysteries and this one taps a good gold and quartz vein.

Edited by TheGreatOne

11 hours ago, TheGreatOne said:

buahaha, I forgot about Mr Microphone.  Could have sworn you needed to tune in an AM station but may have been something else.

You are correct, it needed a radio station to use, however that sweet Panasonic was an 8-track AND radio...

"Hey good lookin...I'll be by later to pick you up..." Remember that from the commercial???

13 hours ago, IpMan said:

F that! I had a sweet Panasonic 8-track & a Mr. Microphone. I was bustin out the dope rhymes and tracks in my hood. Cost me $25 for both and the salesgirl gave me an "old fashioned" since I was customer #100 for the day. She was no beauty but she did have Palmolive soft hand with the kung fu grip, which made me go drip, drip, drip.

Ahhh yes. If only Mike had used a Mr. Microphone to tape the concerts. 

Then we wouldn't be having this discussion for there would be no need to start this thread because nobody would have remembered Mike Millard because his tapes would have sounded like shit.

2 hours ago, Strider said:

Ahhh yes. If only Mike had used a Mr. Microphone to tape the concerts. 

Then we wouldn't be having this discussion for there would be no need to start this thread because nobody would have remembered Mike Millard because his tapes would have sounded like shit.

Yes, but he would have been the life of the party.

Mr. Mike Millard and his Magic Mr. Microphone, presents Led Zeppelin in all their distorted, 8-track Panasonic glory live from who the fuck Caresville.

19 hours ago, sk8rat said:

well just basing off the info we have from his alleged friends, they says he was still living with his mom and was a janitor in his later life. that doesn't exactly scream success to me.

and yes he was a bootlegger. he recorded and distributed copies of someone else's intellectual property. it doesn't matter if he didn't make any money off of it.

12 hours ago, TheGreatOne said:

Who cares if Mike is really still alive ?     - I think that would be very fascinating

Nobody dies and no record of it ?   He had to have been a citizen with social security number and this was a Suicide so the newspaper for many counties would have this on micro-film at the library.

Of all the friggin Zeppelin mysteries and this one taps a good gold and quartz vein.

Perhaps it is better that some mysteries remain mysteries. His family obviously wants to keep his and their privacy and I respect that. That is why it has never been a priority with me to snoop around and verify every detail of what we know of Mike Millard.

The important thing is the valuable cache of tapes he left us.

Success is not only measured in money. That is a narrow and crass definition of success. None of us are in a position to judge or smirk about Mike Millard's life. We don't know if there were brain problems or developmental issues that prevented him from living on his own. For all we know, being able to keep a job as a janitor might well qualify as a success in his situation. None of us knows what his life was like, what tortures he suffered if the stories of his depression are true.

I do know this. His tapes have given joy to millions of people around the world...and not just Led Zeppelin fans, but Pink Floyd and the Rolling Stones and more.

But Led Zeppelin most of all. Imagine a world where there were no Mike Millard tapes. You think the 1977 tour gets criticized now? Just imagine how badly people would dump on the '77 tour if we didn't even have the Forum tapes to enjoy?

If you measure success in how many people you touch and give pleasure, give them something meaningful in their lives, then by all means I consider Mike Millard a success. His mark on the world is far greater and deeper than mine will ever be.

So yes, I get a little touchy and angry when I see people mock or disparage him. He loved Led Zeppelin...loved them enough to go to extreme lengths to capture for posterity many classic concerts that we would not have otherwise.

Led Zeppelin's legacy is all the richer for his endeavors. 

11 minutes ago, Strider said:

Perhaps it is better that some mysteries remain mysteries. His family obviously wants to keep his and their privacy and I respect that. That is why it has never been a priority with me to snoop around and verify every detail of what we know of Mike Millard.

The important thing is the valuable cache of tapes he left us.

Success is not only measured in money. That is a narrow and crass definition of success. None of us are in a position to judge or smirk about Mike Millard's life. We don't know if there were brain problems or developmental issues that prevented him from living on his own. For all we know, being able to keep a job as a janitor might well qualify as a success in his situation. None of us knows what his life was like, what tortures he suffered if the stories of his depression are true.

I do know this. His tapes have given joy to millions of people around the world...and not just Led Zeppelin fans, but Pink Floyd and the Rolling Stones and more.

But Led Zeppelin most of all. Imagine a world where there were no Mike Millard tapes. You think the 1977 tour gets criticized now? Just imagine how badly people would dump on the '77 tour if we didn't even have the Forum tapes to enjoy?

If you measure success in how many people you touch and give pleasure, give them something meaningful in their lives, then by all means I consider Mike Millard a success. His mark on the world is far greater and deeper than mine will ever be.

So yes, I get a little touchy and angry when I see people mock or disparage him. He loved Led Zeppelin...loved them enough to go to extreme lengths to capture for posterity many classic concerts that we would not have otherwise.

Led Zeppelin's legacy is all the richer for his endeavors. 

:bravo: 

I couldn't have said it any better, Strider!  I don't understand the entitlement in today's world to know everything about everybody.

I honestly don't think anyone would argue over the quality and being more than thankful, but I dunno, In a way it's almost like it's blatantly obvious in a way people are covering for him in sense they don't want people to know the real truth.

There lot of shady stuff going on aside from Mike in general

Just now, TheGreatOne said:

I honestly don't think anyone would argue over the quality and being more than thankful, but I dunno, In a way it's almost like it's blatantly obvious in a way people are covering for him in sense they don't want people to know the real truth.

There lot of shady stuff going on aside from Mike in general

Annoyed by a person's privacy, eh?

6 minutes ago, TheGreatOne said:

If someone were to lie and fake their own death,  What other lies are being covered up in the Zeppelin world?

So, Mike is under some fantasy "Zeppelin world" banner because he taped them multiple times? He taped Yes and Jethro Tull multiple times too. I suppose that also makes him part of the shady "Yes world" and seedy "Jethro Tull world"?

1 hour ago, Walter said:

:bravo: 

I couldn't have said it any better, Strider!  I don't understand the entitlement in today's world to know everything about everybody.

+2

Just now, pluribus said:

Makes perfect sense. I'll alert the Rolling Stones, Paul McCartney, Genesis, and Stevie Wonder fanclubs that Mike was part of their dark underbellies as well.

Very cute, why do you want me to speak for you?  And you shift the attention to something else?

37 minutes ago, TheGreatOne said:

If someone were to lie and fake their own death,  What other lies are being covered up in the Zeppelin world?

You make an excellent point here since Elvis is currently on tour with Bonzo on drums, Jaco on bass, Billy Preston on keys, and Ronnie Montrose on guitar, however they are incognito and calling themselves the Fabulous Turd Burglars.