Led Zeppelin Official Vinyls.......

Jimmywalnutz

, this is the next step for my Led Zeppelin collection. Unless a new boot drops or a definitive edition surfaces I'm pretty much done. I just made a huge expenditure on over half the known soundboards all EV and some GF. It was a bittersweet deal, the fellow has a sick child and I paid an extremely high price.

My daughter saw an ad on the bulletin board outside the ward for a collection being sold. It didn't take much negotiating to have him split it up and his asking price was too low. The despair in this man's eyes was painful . So I doubled it and later told my buddy, who owns a record Shop, if he gave him 10% above what he would normally pay I would make the introduction and give him what I didn't need from my haul. Free. Not easy calling it a "good deal" , perspective... I do consider myself fortunate and grateful to help.

I culled my boots and trimmed most of the fat and silvers I burnt myself. Save for a few Godfather titles needed to complete my run of Zep on that label I'm done with Led Zep boots.

Hey , thanks to anyone here who has given me a lead on a boot , sent me downloads or just enlightened me  especially  for quality audience sources. I have really come to enjoy them. But onward I go.

I would like to know the three best sounding presses for all the Studio and the ORIGINAL TSRTS Album. I know they vary but to what degrees ? I recently purchased a copy of the Fourth Album and " Porky" is inscribed in the dead wax . I'm told this is one of the finer pressings. It's tough to tell at this point because the only thing I have to compare it with is the remaster and a beat up copy I bought new as a kid.

I have noticed a difference in Led Zeppelin 1, sd8216 v. sd 19126, with both copies the media is NM + closer to mint,  but the latter does have brighter ambient sound and more bottom.

Why is this difference so ? Aren't they pressed from the same master ?

If anyone can provide some insight,( no bit of info is too small) on the better vinyl pressings. Ideally I would like to have two copies per studio album and I plan to listen to them. 

More Questions to follow but I don't want to mix up Threads

THANK YOU

It's different probably because the original recording was in Mono and someone manipulated it with Saturated Bass and distortion in 1 channel to give it a false stereo effect.   Someone here was mentioning the other month how it annoyed them hiss / crackle and dead sound was coming out 1 speaker.

1 hour ago, TheGreatOne said:

It's different probably because the original recording was in Mono and someone manipulated it with Saturated Bass and distortion in 1 channel to give it a false stereo effect.   Someone here was mentioning the other month how it annoyed them hiss / crackle and dead sound was coming out 1 speaker.

What ?.......

There is so much fake information with "Linage" posted all over the internet. Many people just cut and paste or make up their own information.  If you do a google search for most of the hardware and devices used, they are Mono.   How would saturated Bass and Echo mysteriously end up on the Left or Right Channel ?    When you go to a concert, does half the audience on 1 side of the arena get distorted bass while other half of the arena get a different sound ?

5 hours ago, TheGreatOne said:

There is so much fake information with "Linage" posted all over the internet. Many people just cut and paste or make up their own information.  If you do a google search for most of the hardware and devices used, they are Mono.   How would saturated Bass and Echo mysteriously end up on the Left or Right Channel ?    When you go to a concert, does half the audience on 1 side of the arena get distorted bass while other half of the arena get a different sound ?

It sounds like you're suggesting Led Zeppelin I was recorded in mono and is mixed in false stereo. Just want to clear the confusion because it seems like  JTM and I missed something reading your posts.

2 hours ago, TheGreatOne said:

I was under the impression Zeppelin I was one of his examples.  The first post covers few topic ranges and in past posts he has had quite a few Gripes

Hey I'm not looking to make waves. Just looking for information. Long winded ? I'm guilty . Gripes ?

9 hours ago, Jimmywalnutz said:

I would like to know the three best sounding presses for all the Studio and the ORIGINAL TSRTS Album. I know they vary but to what degrees ? I recently purchased a copy of the Fourth Album and " Porky" is inscribed in the dead wax . I'm told this is one of the finer pressings. It's tough to tell at this point because the only thing I have to compare it with is the remaster and a beat up copy I bought new as a kid.

I have noticed a difference in Led Zeppelin 1, sd8216 v. sd 19126, with both copies the media is NM + closer to mint,  but the latter does have brighter ambient sound and more bottom.

Why is this difference so ? Aren't they pressed from the same master ?

If anyone can provide some insight,( no bit of info is too small) on the better vinyl pressings. Ideally I would like to have two copies per studio album and I plan to listen to them. 

The pre amble may have confused some but above is the nuts and bolts of my post. Again any help or information is always greatly appreciated.

My intent is not to cause drama. Nor is it to vent (I pay someone quite well for that) . I'm just happy to share with like minded folk and learn as much as I can about my favorite band.

Hey, Peace. But, if anyone is offended or doesn't want to read my posts all I can say life is too short to waste your time. 

8 hours ago, lcondo123 said:

It sounds like you're suggesting Led Zeppelin I was recorded in mono and is mixed in false stereo. Just want to clear the confusion because it seems like  JTM and I missed something reading your posts.

I didn't miss anything, I could not believe what TGO was suggesting.

Thank you so much. Lots to learn and lots to spend. I'm already pondering storage solutions for all the vinyl in my future.  

I just became a member. My second message board.

For Led Zep I cannot imagine any place being better than this but being able to discuss other bands should be cool.

Thanks again.

On 6/6/2016 at 10:08 PM, Pb! said:

If you are seeking the best sounding vinyl, go here: http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/

WARNING: Be ready to have your eyes roll into the back of your head.

Its sure is a lot of information but the sheer numbers of what's out there is incredible. Ifeel like a whole new world has opened. Sure, I have a bunch of vinyl but it's mostly what would be considered a generic accumulation.

I produced a Zep Vinyl want list of 10 LPs. I plan on walking it over to my buddy's shop and going through his private vintage stock (the stuff without a price tag) and betting the afternoon will end with " Go ahead asshole, try Discogs".

I'm real excited about this project. My plan has changed.  I'm not a net surfer and wouldn't have found or chose the site on my own. Thanks again.

21 hours ago, Jimmywalnutz said:

Its sure is a lot of information but the sheer numbers of what's out there is incredible. Ifeel like a whole new world has opened. Sure, I have a bunch of vinyl but it's mostly what would be considered a generic accumulation.

I produced a Zep Vinyl want list of 10 LPs. I plan on walking it over to my buddy's shop and going through his private vintage stock (the stuff without a price tag) and betting the afternoon will end with " Go ahead asshole, try Discogs".

I'm real excited about this project. My plan has changed.  I'm not a net surfer and wouldn't have found or chose the site on my own. Thanks again.

I have at least 4 or 5 different pressing of each of the LZ studio albums (UK, US, Canadian, Classic Records you name it!) I wanted to find the best sounding Zeppelin albums because I was not satisfied with the CD's. I love going through the Hoffman forums. There is so much info on various pressings of Zeppelin and many other band's albums I get lost in the whole madness of it all. I will give you my two cents on the best LZ pressings:

LZ I -  Mid 70's George Piros  US repress with  ST-A6814616CC in the deadwax on both sides. Also the Classic Records 180g or 200g is phenomenal. The UK 1st press (A1/B1) is pricey and it sounds great, but the ones I just mentioned are far better.

LZ II -  US 1st pressings mastered by Robert Ludwig (RL with tiny ss etched in deadwax). Very pricey and very difficult to find in great condition but even a crappy copy will sound good because it was cut so loud it can overpower any crackle or pops.   UK 1st press A2/B2 matrices. Pricey as a Ludwig and sounds very similar but since you live in the US the Ludwig will be easier to find. The MFSL pressing is great too with lots of detail but has less balls.  The Canadian red label with T.G in the deadwax is great too and cheaper than a Ludwig. The 75 US repress mastered by Piros is another athat sounds great and cheaper!  Stay away from the Classic Records pressings.

LZ III -  US 1st press with Mastercraft and "Do What Thou Wilt" on side A and "So Mote Be It" on side B etched in the deadwax with "MO" initials (Monarch pressing plant) after the catalog number at the bottom of the label. Sounds great but it's hard to find a pressing without crackle; even a mint pressing. UK 1st press A5/B5 matrices with same quotes in the deadwax. Very pricey but sounds best to my ears. Canadian red label with T.G in the deadwax. Reasonably priced and a sounds a lot better than a US press. Great bass and detail!   Classic Records 200g sounds great but its very bright especially played on my tube amp.

LZ IV - UK 1st press George Peckham ("Porky" and "Pecko" in etched in deadwax) mastered with either A3/B3 or A3/B4 matrices. They both sound identical so it doesn't matter. Pricey and hard to find without inner groove distortion on Stairway and Levee but man once you find a decent copy it cannot be topped. Any of Peckham US mastered pressings vary in sound quality from pressing plant but there are subtle differences between a 1st press and any repressing so it will be easier find a cheaper and good sounding copy. Haven't heard the Classic Records pressings. Stay away from any US press that doesn't have "Porky" and Pecko" in the deadwax.

That's only the first four albums without going into too much detail just to give you an idea. If you want, I can give my opinions on the rest.

Thank you so much. I hit the ground running yes and maybe in the right direction, I think.

i'll post the pictures later but picked up III and the Fourth Album yesterday.

III has the Mote inscription on side 2 and in the same hand the letters PR. It also has Masterkraft (spelled with a K) written on it too. Side 1 does NOT have the Thou Wilt inscription. It has a series of numbers beginning with 7 followed by two commas.

The Fourth Album has Porky very clearly written on side 1 at 3 o'clock at 12 o'clock are the letters PR. Side 2 has Pecko duck written at 12 oclock and at 3 o'clock the letters PR.

I bought these from buddy's shop and he did mention to look for Porky and you can't go wrong. He is getting up in age and did advise me there is a lot to know. He is a conservative grader , the media on III was listed as NM and the Fourth was NM +. He charged me 80 bucks but I brought him lunch. 

Tomorrow he is going to have a  Mint copy of Physical Graffiti for me to check out. He turned it down because the guy who was selling it was asking about 20 bucks more than he wanted to pay. I told him I'd cover the 20. Its supposedly a First US pressing  but there was no deal so he didn't examine it closely. Like I mentioned earlier " The Major" is getting up in age and he spent six years as a Prisoner Of War (Vietnam) he seldom mentions it but it's obvious he still suffers. Point being, he smokes more than he ought and memory loss is a problem.

What should I look for on this set ?  And what would be some red flags? I'm prepared to overpay , which I don't mind. I do mind getting bamboozled .

The Steve Hoffman site is incredible. I spent a great deal of time on it yesterday but mostly reading up on turntables. I plan to add a new one to my system and if I'm going to be spending big time on vinyl. I am going to go high end. You can't just burn another record. Lol.

Thank you so much for taking the time to enlighten me. It is greatly appreciated . Thank you.

I for one want to hear Mr. Dragon Suit's opinions of the rest of the catalog; he did a nice job of editing the Hoffman threads down to the essence.

Any thoughts on pressing plants to seek out or avoid?

18 hours ago, Pb! said:

I for one want to hear Mr. Dragon Suit's opinions of the rest of the catalog; he did a nice job of editing the Hoffman threads down to the essence.

Any thoughts on pressing plants to seek out or avoid?

The preferred pressing plants are Monarch's (MO), Presswell (PR) and Specialty (SP). Some of the Columbia (CTH and CP) pressed albums used an inferior copy of masters or it had to do with the formulation of the vinyl itself. I had a LZ II Ludwig that was pressed at CTH and to my ears sounded outstanding but I have heard other albums pressed at Columbia that were so-so.

I'll give you the lowdown of the rest.

Houses of the Holy - 1st US press with Sterling stamped in the deadwax on both sides sounds pretty good just difficult to find one without surface noise. 1st UK press A2/B2 matrices with Sterling stamped in the deadwax on both sides is better sounding than the US but... there is another UK 1st press that was manufactured in Ireland. It has the A1/B1 matrices and was mastered by George Peckham ("Porky" and "Pecko" etched on both sides). That one is very hard to get and to find reasonably priced. That one will blow all the pressings away. Peckham got JPJ's bass to sound like it should on that pressing and it has all the instruments coming out on attack. Stay away from the Classic Records pressings.

Physical Graffiti - The US and UK pressings have both their strengths and weaknesses that if you picked either one, you would be satisfied. For the US, the Monarch, Presswell and Specialty all sound great. For the UK, A1/B4/C1/D1 matrices is the preferred pressing but will cost you some bones. A lot of people prefer the Classic Records 200g pressing. I heard the 200g and thought it sounded uneven. Kind of like the instruments were tame for one minute and then suddenly in your face the next. It could of been a faulty pressing.

Presence - My favorite record. I have a US Monarch, a UK 1st press A1/B1 matrices and the Classic Records 200g pressing. I recommend either one but if I had to pick, I really like the UK and the 200g so I can't decide between the two. If you have a decent system, this record will rattle your walls.

In Through the Outdoor - Not a great sounding record to begin with but there are pressings that present better detail and separation. The US and the UK pressings both sound the same but I don't listen to them to anymore. The Classic Records 200g is the superior pressing. Better mastering and vinyl. Also, the instruments sound like they are given more space to move around creating a better listening experience. This one will cost you north of $100. Surprisingly, the Canadian is my go pressing (sounds just like the Classic) and can be had for a lot cheaper.

Coda - Uhhhh... I don't think it matters which one you get. I never liked the way it was mastered to begin with.

Please note I have not heard the reissues from 2014 and 2015. From what I read, LZ II, III, ITTOD and Coda are the highest rated albums from the reissue campaign so take it for what it's worth. Those reissues I mentioned I would love to get just for the bonus tracks alone but I have so many LZ records, the studio reissues would take up space and I would never listen to them. In my opinion, the original pressings (outside some of the Classic Records pressings) cannot be beat.

On 6/10/2016 at 6:49 AM, Jimmy's Dragon Suit said:

Houses of the Holy - 1st US press with Sterling stamped in the deadwax on both sides sounds pretty good just difficult to find one without surface noise. 1st UK press A2/B2 matrices with Sterling stamped in the deadwax on both sides is better sounding than the US but... there is another UK 1st press that was manufactured in Ireland. It has the A1/B1 matrices and was mastered by George Peckham ("Porky" and "Pecko" etched on both sides). That one is very hard to get and to find reasonably priced. That one will blow all the pressings away. Peckham got JPJ's bass to sound like it should on that pressing and it has all the instruments coming out on attack. Stay away from the Classic Records pressings.

Physical Graffiti - The US and UK pressings have both their strengths and weaknesses that if you picked either one, you would be satisfied. For the US, the Monarch, Presswell and Specialty all sound great. For the UK, A1/B4/C1/D1 matrices is the preferred pressing but will cost you some bones. A lot of people prefer the Classic Records 200g pressing. I heard the 200g and thought it sounded uneven. Kind of like the instruments were tame for one minute and then suddenly in your face the next. It could of been a faulty pressing.

Thank You so much I picked up both of these albums yesterday. I met the seller at my buddy's shop. The Physical Graffiti seems like a generic 2nd Atlantic pressing it has none of the Hallmarks you noted but the condition was just too much to let go. Truly Pristine probably played once to tape it and the bag & seal. Likely stored flat. Beautiful. Im not going to even play that one.

BUT I did snag a Houses Of The Holy in Ex + with media being NM or better. Sterling printed in caps on both sides. I had just read this 10 minutes prior or wouldn't have remembered that it was worth a shot. I'm headed out for a new turntable in 20, but I just want to thank you again. I would not have bought it otherwise. I decided not to play it at the shop or here. I will let you know how it sounds once I'm set up. Thanks again. Your time is greatly appreciated.

Archived