Led Zeppelin were fans of and fans from...

If you have a nice quote, story, please paste below... It could be other greats who have mentioned Led Zeppelin, or individual members of LZ who say things about other greats.

I have John Bonham's book and read Supertramp was his favorite band (one of my favorites too!)

On ‎6‎/‎8‎/‎2016 at 11:05 AM, MortSahlFan said:

If you have a nice quote, story, please paste below... It could be other greats who have mentioned Led Zeppelin, or individual members of LZ who say things about other greats.

I have John Bonham's book and read Supertramp was his favorite band (one of my favorites too!)

Maybe I am wrong, but I do not think that Supertramp was his favorite band.  He liked songs from their album, "Breakfast in America", but I do not think that they were his favorite band.  Bonzo also seem to like Kansas' "Carry on My Wayward Son" and that he would put on that song and drum along to it. 

Edited to add:  I am one of the biggest and most die-hard fans of Led Zeppelin and their history, but I know of no book written by John Bonham.  I have in my possession about three books written about John Bonham, but none penned by the Man Himself. 

4 hours ago, kingzoso said:

Maybe I am wrong, but I do not think that Supertramp was his favorite band.  He liked songs from their album, "Breakfast in America", but I do not think that they were his favorite band.  Bonzo also seem to like Kansas' "Carry on My Wayward Son" and that he would put on that song and drum along to it. 

Edited to add:  I am one of the biggest and most die-hard fans of Led Zeppelin and their history, but I know of no book written by John Bonham.  I have in my possession about three books written about John Bonham, but none penned by the Man Himself. 

Quote " I am one of the biggest and most die-hard fans of Led Zeppelin and their history".... That's a mighty claim to make, how did you come to that delusion...

https://www.amazon.com/John-Bonham-Thunder-Drums-Softcover-ebook/dp/B00AMTZNRO/ref=sr_1_4?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1465742340&sr=1-4&keywords=john+bonham#reader_0879306580

"He also loved Supertramp and was very fond of Joni Mitchell and ABBA"

I read Supertramp was his favorite band somewhere else as well. I have this book, it's good.

16 hours ago, JTM said:

Quote " I am one of the biggest and most die-hard fans of Led Zeppelin and their history".... That's a mighty claim to make, how did you come to that delusion...

I am not going to get into an inane argument with you, but if what I say is true, how can that be considered "delusion"? 

I have spent over 32 years listening to, reading, researching, etc... everything that I can know and find out about Led Zeppelin and each of their histories and backgrounds.  I have done this willingly and not one minute of mine was wasted on/in my pursuit. 

Reply if you want and say what you want, but you do not know anything about me except for the things that I post on this great and wonderful forum dedicated to the greatest rock and roll Band of All-Time.  How is that? 

I STAND BY MY CLAIM AND ANYTHING YOU SAY WILL NOT DIMINSH WHAT I KNOW AND THINK. 

6 hours ago, kingzoso said:

I am not going to get into an inane argument with you, but if what I say is true, how can that be considered "delusion"? 

I have spent over 32 years listening to, reading, researching, etc... everything that I can know and find out about Led Zeppelin and each of their histories and backgrounds.  I have done this willingly and not one minute of mine was wasted on/in my pursuit. 

Reply if you want and say what you want, but you do not know anything about me except for the things that I post on this great and wonderful forum dedicated to the greatest rock and roll Band of All-Time.  How is that? 

I STAND BY MY CLAIM AND ANYTHING YOU SAY WILL NOT DIMINSH WHAT I KNOW AND THINK. 

Wow.....Thirty Two + years that's impressive......the ultimate fanboi... 

2 hours ago, MortSahlFan said:

I heard from a friend (who knows his music) that Bonzo loved Jethro Tull's second drummer.

Is that an insinuation......The very thought ewwwww....

Well, I can name a bunch of stuff. Page in the 70's namedropped Little Feat as one of his favorite American bands. Sometime in the 80's he really praised ZZTOP, not just the music but also their great videos in his opinion. Page also was 

pretty fond of Bob Marley and Reggae. He commented that "Whitey can't quite get it, it is very much a Jamaican 

cultural thing. And Page and JONES, thought Jethro tull was awful live, calling them "Jethro Dull". Bonzo and Jones

were huge fans of Motown, not surprising at all considering their rhythmic skills. From other artists, Prince once

said other guitarists play in black and white, "Page pays in color". Carlos Santana once said Page kind of picked up

where Hendrix left off. Page was particularly in the studio a sound sculptor and architect, creating sheets and layers

of sound  creating guitar symphonies unlike anyone before him. There's more, much more...........

I do remember Plant Page and Bonzo praising The Damned. Bonzo was apparently mates with Rat Scabies (their drummer) who got no end of stick from the punk establishment for having Bonzo as a friend and hero.

In fact LZ Elton John and the late Marc Bolan (who took The damned on tour with him) were the only acts who saw what the new generation was up to and even went to gigs. Plant even co produced a couple of tracks for a local act.   

On 6/13/2016 at 5:01 PM, JTM said:

Is that an insinuation......The very thought ewwwww....

It's true.  John Bonham had called Barriemore Barlow "the greatest rock drummer England ever produced"

Barlow also appeared on both Jimmy Page's Outrider and Robert Plant's The Principle Of Moments.

So while they were not JT fans, they were quite aware of Barriemore Barlow's talent.  

21 minutes ago, the chase said:

It's true.  John Bonham had called Barriemore Barlowe "the best drummer to come out of England".

Barlow also appeared on both Jimmy Page's Outrider and Robert Plant's The Principle Of Moments.

So while they were not JT fans, they were quite aware of Barriemore Barlow's talent.  

I mistook  the Mort..'s post as Innuendo, hence my comment. I don't doubt Bonzo liked BB's drumming ...I myself also think BB's drumming in JT is excellent....

2 hours ago, JTM said:

I mistook  the Mort..'s post as Innuendo, hence my comment. I don't doubt Bonzo liked BB's drumming ...I myself also think BB's drumming in JT is excellent....

I had a feeling that's what it was.. Very cool.. The Drumming on Songs From The Wood and Minstrel In The Gallery.. just to name 2 is unbelievable.. 

Well also Robert admired Phil Collins drum skills. In fact when Robert toured after two solo albums, when I saw

him at MSG in 83', Collins was on drums. He played great and I must mention despite no Zep it was a fantastic show,

Robbie Blunt but Robert in particular still sounding tremendously powerful but subtle when necessary. As far as Jimmy,

he has mentioned Radiohead as being very unique and talented, the same for the late Jeff Buckley. Also when Jimmy

jammed with Santana during his show while simultaneously doing the Europe 80' tour, jimmy said it was great soloing

and improvising over such a full backdrop of wide ranging percussion and keyboards.

Bonzo and Jonesy were big fans of Motown funk and Rhythm and Blues.  James Brown in particular.  I remember reading that when Led Zeppelin shared a bill with James Brown (and others), all three of James Browns' drummer were huddled around John Bonham's drum kit, watching what this one drummer did what it took all three of them to accomplish.  All three in awe, of course. 

I wonder if Bonzo liked Clive Bunker (Jethro Tull's first drummer) - did he like the band in general?

I also remember reading Jimmy say his favorite solo was Steely Dan's "Reelin' In the Years" - thanks willie... (is that for Blind Willie McTell?)

38 minutes ago, MortSahlFan said:

I wonder if Bonzo liked Clive Bunker (Jethro Tull's first drummer) - did he like the band in general?

I also remember reading Jimmy say his favorite solo was Steely Dan's "Reelin' In the Years" - thanks willie... (is that for Blind Willie McTell?)

Nope. Blind Willie Johnson.

• 3 months later...

There are numerous mentions of Page really liking Rush, from having Rush tunes on a jukebox at a bar he used to frequent( possibly also a cover band doing Rush), to Page meeting the band backstage after a show, although I'm not

positive Page actually watched the show. Not mentioned guitar wise is Page loved Les Paul's playing, as he was probably

the first multi-tracker, which Page of course did artfully in his guitar orchestrations. Also Page loved Django Reinhardt,

who was a two finger gypsy jazz player. Of course Jimmy didn't play jazz, but Jimmy did at times copy Django's aggressive

style and solo rhythmic patterns in a blues/rockabilly/rock style. Jimmy also in a general sense praised the Stones , the

Who, and Floyd(79'', I think) as bands that reliably put out good or great material.

Archived