Plant turns down 14 million

mesamay2003

I have no doubt Robert turned it down and I also have no doubt Jimmy would have done it.  But I am not mad at Robert any more.  I was.  After the O2.  I will admit it.  I thought, all of these other bands have done it.  And they have made the kind of money that Led Zeppelin truly deserved far more than any of those bands.  Maybe the Who are an exception but without Entwistle its not really the Who.  But Robert has preserved their integrity forever.  The Rolling Stones are the classic example of a band that has outwore their welcome.  I love the Stones but lets get real.  When you see Led Zeppelin perform on tape in the day, you know it cannot be like it was.  It takes a ton of energy to play that kind of  music and physical endurance.  I commend Jimmy for being able to do what he can do at his age.  Robert was questioned on his ability to hit the high notes after Houses of the Holy.   For Gods sake, how could he do it now? Well, just maybe he could? But he is not going to and the fact that he has repeatedly turned down these offers says he is sure not hurting financially.  

On 28/8/2016 at 4:16 AM, PlanetPage said:

The band doesn't owe anyone shit. In fact, the only thing they might owe us is to be responsible, and not tour around the world at the age of 70 singing "squeeze my lemon til the juice runs down my leg". Its 36 years since they were even a band, and some things should be left well alone. Fair play to Robert Plant for sticking to his guns over this.

The main stumbling block to any reunion has been money and success.

Plant has no money worries and his solo career is successful.

It's worth noting that the only time he formally reunited with Page was in 1993, when Plant's solo career was in the doldrums and he was supporting Lenny Kravitz. No coincidence there.

If Plant's solo career had been a turkey it could be totally different.

5 hours ago, Boleskinner said:

The main stumbling block to any reunion has been money and success.

Plant has no money worries and his solo career is successful.

It's worth noting that the only time he formally reunited with Page was in 1993, when Plant's solo career was in the doldrums and he was supporting Lenny Kravitz. No coincidence there.

If Plant's solo career had been a turkey it could be totally different.

Sad to say there could well be something in this. Didn't Robert absolutely insist on not playing any Zeppelin songs as a solo artist - until Shaken 'n' Stirred was really badly received and attendance at his gigs dropped, whereupon he suddenly started playing several Zeppelin songs at each show? Robert's various reasons for avoiding a reunion all sound plausible - but if he was skint...? Then again, who knows - Mick Ronson genuinely was skint, but he still turned down Bowie's offer to reform the Spiders From Mars (with the words 'Don't be bloody daft - it's been done!').    

1 hour ago, Brigante said:

Sad to say there could well be something in this. Didn't Robert absolutely insist on not playing any Zeppelin songs as a solo artist - until Shaken 'n' Stirred was really badly received and attendance at his gigs dropped, whereupon he suddenly started playing several Zeppelin songs at each show? Robert's various reasons for avoiding a reunion all sound plausible - but if he was skint...? Then again, who knows - Mick Ronson genuinely was skint, but he still turned down Bowie's offer to reform the Spiders From Mars (with the words 'Don't be bloody daft - it's been done!').    

Lol. Great quote from Ronson there. In '88 interviews, Plant said it was his new young songwriting partner who said something along the lines of your a blues singer and that's what you do best, go back to that. But I dare say you are right and a big factor was that his career was in the commercial dunnies and he needed some Zep songs to generate interest. I actually think his first three solo albums are his best and after that he played it safe until 2000, when he rediscovered his muse. Anyway, I think there's more chance of Plant signing for Wolves on transfer deadline day than a Zep reunion!

6 hours ago, Boleskinner said:

In '88 interviews, Plant said it was his new young songwriting partner who said something along the lines of your a blues singer and that's what you do best, go back to that. 

Bill Curbishley was hired as manager in early Autumn 1986, and he encouraged Robert to change the direction of his solo career. Robert then met Phil Johnstone (and Dave Barrett) in October 1986, and within two days the three were writing songs together. 

I'd just like to see another zep album. I mean what a fantastic opportunity to be in a position to use the talents of page, Jones and Bonham in the very broad and varied context of led Zeppelin as a vehicle for further experimentation. Surely it's there that the greater musical reward is, not farting about with ex members of "flash in the pan" acts. Yes Zeppelin happened in their youth, but he keeps banging on about putting the picture in a different frame, well it's about time he actually did that properly, in my humble opinion of course.

appologies if you are reading this . I did really enjoy the gig at Leeds academy 2014.

2 hours ago, SteveAJones said:

...in October 1986, and within two days the three were writing songs together. 

There was a point early on in Florida that it was showtime and less than 25% of the seats were filled at showtime...  no longer time to "distance myself" from LZ.

Personally, I have always found the numbers below interesting: 
@SAJ  [not referring to Plant wearing the elf suit/jumper curled shoes]

Artist: Robert Plant
Touring Year  + (Setlists)

16 hours ago, Dallas Knebs said:

There was a point early on in Florida that it was showtime and less than 25% of the seats were filled at showtime...  no longer time to "distance myself" from LZ.

His first Florida show as a solo artist was June 29, 1985 at Exposition Hall in Tampa.

However, I believe you are referring to his July 1, 1985 concert at the Sportatorium in Florida. The interesting thing about that one is it was rescheduled from the day before (a Sunday), when 16,000 fans were turned away after he refused to take the stage on account of the roof leaking (according to Sun-Sentinel, a local newspaper). 

I think the Shaken n' Stirred album was an artistic success, yet clearly a commercial failure. To his credit he has maintained a sense of humor about it, saying it was pointed out to him that perhaps it would have sold more copies "if we had included a ten dollar bill in the shrink wrap" (in other words a money back guarantee).

He issued a press release announcing he had sacked that band (October 14, 1985), then participated in ill-fated rehearsals with Led Zeppelin (January 1986) and played a few benefit dates (Spring/Summer 1986) before signing a management deal with Trinifold (Bill Curbishley) in Autumn 1986. The rest is history. 

1 hour ago, SteveAJones said:

His first Florida show as a solo artist was June 29, 1985 at Exposition Hall in Tampa.

However, I believe you are referring to his July 1, 1985 concert at the Sportatorium in Florida. The interesting thing about that one is it was rescheduled from the day before (a Sunday), when 16,000 fans were turned away after he refused to take the stage on account of the roof leaking (according to Sun-Sentinel, a local newspaper). 

I think the Shaken n' Stirred album was an artistic success, yet clearly a commercial failure. To his credit he has maintained a sense of humor about it, saying it was pointed out to him that perhaps it would have sold more copies "if we had included a ten dollar bill in the shrink wrap" (in other words a money back guarantee).

He issued a press release announcing he had sacked that band (October 14, 1985), then participated in ill-fated rehearsals with Led Zeppelin (January 1986) and played a few benefit dates (Spring/Summer 1986) before signing a management deal with Trinifold (Bill Curbishley) in Autumn 1986. The rest is history. 

Maybe I am in the minority here but I really like Shaken n' Stirred. Not the direction anyone was expecting from Plant at the time and artistically speaking, a breath of fresh air. I remember at the 85' concert supporting the album, with that gloriously weird stage set up that looked like combination fall hazard, skate park, and mothership connection, and Plant announcing Too Loud as "the song the stations refuse to play." I really liked that show in 85', it was a great setlist with a unique mix, plus, we got the Honeydrippers jam complete with poodle skirted backup singers, and Robert & the band in leather jackets and ducktail do's. I feel that particular tour was a musical and visual highpoint in regard to Plant's overall live presentation. I was blown away.

1 hour ago, SteveAJones said:

July 1, 1985 concert at the Sportatorium

yes, oh yes it was... no air conditioning and the "leak" was like it was raining center stage and on the front 10 rows. The acoustics were like Charlie Brown's teacher was trying to sing Ave Maria thru a wet blanket... rather than a crooner swinging out to Sea of Love.  Infamy...

Either put $10bills on the ticket backs or put Whole Lotta Love on the setlist- kinda the same thing maybe, well it got sorted and worked out nicely.

10 hours ago, IpMan said:

Maybe I am in the minority here but I really like Shaken n' Stirred. Not the direction anyone was expecting from Plant at the time and artistically speaking, a breath of fresh air. I remember at the 85' concert supporting the album, with that gloriously weird stage set up that looked like combination fall hazard, skate park, and mothership connection, and Plant announcing Too Loud as "the song the stations refuse to play." I really liked that show in 85', it was a great setlist with a unique mix, plus, we got the Honeydrippers jam complete with poodle skirted backup singers, and Robert & the band in leather jackets and ducktail do's. I feel that particular tour was a musical and visual highpoint in regard to Plant's overall live presentation. I was blown away.

I agree and loved the direction he took with his first three solo albums. He was backed by some great musicians and it was really adventurous. After the commercial decline of Shaken 'n' Stirred he went back to being in character for a while. It was only in 2002, with Dreamland, that he rediscovered his creative muse.

I forgot about the short-lived Zep rehearsals in Bath in '86. Another example of him running back to his old band when his solo career faltered.

On 6/23/2016 at 2:08 AM, Jimmywalnutz said:

Do you think I would have opened another chapter? I hope we never cross paths again. Those precious memories are still intact. She will always remain the same in my minds eye. I did nothing to change that.....but could have.

Same principle. Why would Robert Plant ?

So you and Robert dated the same girl? Small world!

I wonder if Robert would be willing to do these two shows if he didn't have to spend the next five years defending his position about not participating in a full zeppelin revival. But you would think that a Press Conference where he could tell the world that he's just doing these two shows and then going back to his solo career would  put a stop to all the rumors

I certainly understand that he has the right to do what he wants assuming there is no real animosity  amongst the three remaining members, why the hell not do the shows...at least for your fans who have been supporting you for over 35 years. You have to admit that the Zeppelin fans are probably the most loyal and frustrated fans out there. They (or Robert) are truly unique in their attitude about performing together. I guess we don't count.

20 minutes ago, ledrim said:

You have to admit that the Zeppelin fans are probably the most loyal and frustrated fans out there. They (or Robert) are truly unique in their attitude about performing together. I guess we don't count..

You (not literally you) have to admit that Led Zeppelin's fans are among the most selfish fans out there too. They are truly unique in their refusal to accept reality. The fans don't count?! Robert gave them the 02 show. It's done. It's over. Goodbye.   

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/2/2016 at 0:04 PM, SteveAJones said:

You (not literally you) have to admit that Led Zeppelin's fans are among the most selfish fans out there too. They are truly unique in their refusal to accept reality. The fans don't count?! Robert gave them the 02 show. It's done. It's over. Goodbye.   

Yes, one show with JPJ in the last 30 years, is a great way to honor the fans faithful support. I just don't think it needs to be so black and white, there could have been room for the occasional show/tour while maintaining his solo career (i.e. Phil Collins).

11 minutes ago, ledrim said:

Yes, one show with JPJ in the last 30 years, is a great way to honor the fans faithful support. I just don't think it needs to be so black and white, there could have been room for the occasional show/tour while maintaining his solo career (i.e. Phil Collins).

What have "faithful" fans got to do with anything, It is Black and White, over, done, finished...Forget it....

Archived