Dazed and Confused: Which TSRtS version is better?

According to the Garden Tapes, the version of Dazed and Confused from The Song Remains the Same film (which was used for the 2007 remastered CD) is heavily edited towards the beginning, and this version has a length of about 29 minutes. The 26 minute version from the original LP is heavily edited towards the end. Right now I'm trying to figure out which versions of TSRtS songs are the best to make my own CD, and D&C is definitely not as clear cut as let's say No Quarter. So what's your preferred D&C from TSRtS?

I prefer the film/remastered version because I find the cuts in the solos excessive on the original album version--probably only done so as to fit it on one side of vinyl without comprising sound quality.  Also, Bonham's solo at the end is much better on the film/remastered version (it's the one from the 29th, the one from the 27th is used on the original album version). 

So, I actually prefer the film/remastered version musically in this case, but in general I would say if it's "too close to call," side with the remastered version for the improved sound quality.  Under that criteria, the only song that I consistently turn to the original album for is "No Quarter".

1 hour ago, Bonzo_fan said:

I prefer the film/remastered version because I find the cuts in the solos excessive on the original album version--probably only done so as to fit it on one side of vinyl without comprising sound quality.  Also, Bonham's solo at the end is much better on the film/remastered version (it's the one from the 29th, the one from the 27th is used on the original album version). 

So, I actually prefer the film/remastered version musically in this case, but in general I would say if it's "too close to call," side with the remastered version for the improved sound quality.  Under that criteria, the only song that I consistently turn to the original album for is "No Quarter".

Alright thanks! I think once I get a few more responses on this thread I'll start a separate one with the songs that I would choose to make my version and ask for opinions.

45 minutes ago, reswati said:

I also opt for the remaster........and just for the case of completeness......get the bootlegs and get the real deal, warts and all.

The bootlegs are towards the top of the list of the ones which I want to get, not just for the regular set songs, but also for "Thank You." However, I want to get other bootlegs, like Blueberry Hill and some of the '69 recordings (eg 4/24, 4/27, and 8/31) first. Thanks for replying!

This is a great question, but completely ties me up into a pretzel. Slightly prefer the film/remastered version, but that 

jarring edit around the "San Francisco" section is awful. Also the edit(replace) with part of the bow solo. And the other

nights(bootlegs of all the shows), Page tends to solo better after the bow extravaganza. Although the film of course

uses solos from diff shows. AARRGGHH !!! You want to lose your mind ?? Go research "the Garden Tapes" some compendium which someone supposedly put together to explain exactly in hair-splitting detail how TSRTS was put

together. It is considered to be very accurate.

For me the vinyl has always come across as the most powerful since I first heard it and played it a million times, it's been a little while since I have listened to the remaster, but I'm pretty sure my opinion will remain unchanged. I love them both but I grew up with the vinyl and the original vinyl version is etched in my memory.

I tend to prefer the original version. Mostly because it's the one I grew up listening to, but also the 2007 version has a cut or edit or something at 5:24 that just sounds dreadful to my ears. I cringe every time I hear it.

I recently made my own TSRTS CD where I used all the songs from the 2007 version except D&C and No Quarter from the original, with the volume boosted a bit on those tracks to match the higher volume of the remaster.

What I'd love to find is the Heywood version, but tracking that down has proven to be difficult. More than two months of looking and still haven't found it. :(

2 hours ago, Balthazor said:

I tend to prefer the original version. Mostly because it's the one I grew up listening to, but also the 2007 version has a cut or edit or something at 5:24 that just sounds dreadful to my ears. I cringe every time I hear it.

I recently made my own TSRTS CD where I used all the songs from the 2007 version except D&C and No Quarter from the original, with the volume boosted a bit on those tracks to match the higher volume of the remaster.

What I'd love to find is the Heywood version, but tracking that down has proven to be difficult. More than two months of looking and still haven't found it. :(

I have the 2nd Heywood version, pm me.

7 hours ago, Balthazor said:

Me too! It's just what I knew and was familiar with. I was in 8th grade when Bonzo passed and it seems like for every birthday, Christmas list was filled with requests for Zeppelin cassettes or LP's. TSRTS was given to me around 1982 & I just LOVED it. 

On ‎6‎/‎29‎/‎2016 at 11:11 PM, reswati said:

......get the bootlegs and get the real deal, warts and all.

7/28/73 The Effect Is Shattering. IMO is the Best SRTS related document. It's pretty cool that it starts off with a radio commercial for The Houses of The Holy.  I love the Dazed from that tape

Sonically the remaster is tough to beat plus you get all the songs. The benefit of the original is that No Quarter is the complete song, no edits or chop suey (drums from 7/27 , guitar piece from 7/28 etc.)

For 7/27 Winston did a great job on a Remaster from The Garden Tapes but it's truncated , I believe 8 songs , tops are featured. The No Quarter from The Garden Tape is basically what you hear on the first pressings of the SRTS. I like it. The remaster cut the only "real " song by almost a minute.

7/29 is a show that I really can't seem to find something I would call definitive. I wish Godfather would have released this one because it is a great show. I think they would have done it justice.

As boots go avoid 7/28 Jimmy's Missing Doll by Electric. Horrible sound.

The Remastered Dazed and Confused found on the official recording sounds great but it was created, not captured. As official live recordings, IMO , TSRTS remaster is the best . HTWWW has a great song selection and of course sounds great, but when played next to my Equinox 6/25/73 the editing is painfully apparent. Again, it's created. They layered the guitar on Immigrant Song , it's two distinct guitars!

That's why I love boots.

BTW, There is a new video boot out that cuts through all the SRTS

2 hours ago, Jimmywalnutz said:

BTW, There is a new video boot out that cuts through all the SRTS

Wait, do you mean there is a TSRTS video boot that has ALL in place band playing - no movie 'dream sequence'?

50 minutes ago, rm2551 said:

Wait, do you mean there is a TSRTS video boot that has ALL in place band playing - no movie 'dream sequence'?

No there is not, as everybody already knows the dream sequence footage is there because there is no performance footage for those parts.

There are fan made editions that have fewer shorter dream segments using still pictures and some clever slow-mo editing .

29 minutes ago, JTM said:

No there is not, as everybody already knows the dream sequence footage is there because there is no performance footage for those parts.

There are fan made editions that have fewer shorter dream segments using still pictures and some clever slow-mo editing .

That's what I thought....

It isn't a case of the legality of the deal for TSRTS means footage of the live playing for the whole thing is forever locked away due to IP law right? The actual footage does NOT exist. That is how I understand it, it was destroyed in making the movie.

5 hours ago, JTM said:

No there is not, as everybody already knows the dream sequence footage is there because there is no performance footage for those parts..

After 3 nights of filming there is no way in hell there was "no performance footage for those parts". The dream sequences were always part of the plan so right off the bat the concert footage was never suppose to be complete. Throw in the Shepperton re-shoot that was done for artistic film production values alone, and we're left with a shit load of concert footage that hit the cutting room floor. None of this was due to missing footage IMO

Well the new version is better in terms of sound, less is missing, the pre bow section is better and more complete!

But you need the european 73 dates, for amazing energy and out of this world Bonzo.

Earlier versions are also there for far better vocals, a shorter performance, with many parts alerady there,

but more condensed and more importantly more technically precise!

So think about, how much you are going to listen to it at all. 

It does include some of Pages best solos phrase wise.

• 3 weeks later...

As mentioned the original vinyl is what grew up on (since 77) and that's what I prefer although sonically the re master is a gas.I didn't know it was a cut and paste till read this thread.Pardon my ignorance.

Archived