John Bonham vs Karen Carpenter

What a laughable joke, she has no stamina or energy to compete with John Bonham.

Those stupid Teen Rag magazines have been doing that for years.  They make up their own lists and even Rolling Stone magazine comes up with stupid top lists of guitar players or best albums...bla

I think it's a '75 show where Plant mentions Karen Carpenter before introducing Bonham in Moby Dick

3 hours ago, TheGreatOne said:

That would have been like National Lampoon magazine doing the same poll

Well a bunch of horny guys reading Playboy voting for best drummer.. The results aren't a total surprise.. I was always a little baffled that John Bonham seemed upset by the slight when it's kind of funny. He made it into a much bigger issue by his reaction than if he had just let it go.

KC  was also not only a great singer, she was also a very good drummer. 

I was thinking something along those lines of horny guys and illusion of a firecracker of a gal.  I suspect the poll was rigged or the tally results were counted in Floriduh

Who has some old Playboys in their basement?  Wish I could see the article and what was the full list of competing people.

6 hours ago, the chase said:

Well a bunch of horny guys reading Playboy voting for best drummer.. The results aren't a total surprise.. I was always a little baffled that John Bonham seemed upset by the slight when it's kind of funny. He made it into a much bigger issue by his reaction than if he had just let it go.

KC  was also not only a great singer, she was also a very good drummer. 

Well sometimes it's just weird, when it's just hard to conclude, whether to respond to this kind of stuff or not, for your own good. It seems that ultimately, we are all judged morally, that is what matters, the most, but there are many issues of sensitivity and social akwardness, that have nothing to do with morals, yet can make people look problematic, much more then they are(weird that Playboy is mentioned in this topic, I think sexuality should  certainly be without such negative connotations that it had before the sixties, but I'm definitely for relationships). Every person is just an individual and it's important that we can move on in life and eventually reach a fulfilled life. No matter what trouble you went through, people will just look at the whole thing and mostly take the best out of it and it doesn't really matter then that much, if you have perhaps just been autistic in a mild way(just getting reevaluated). I don't know about John Bonham, but his best qualities will be, what he will be remembered by, his drumming, his personality, however Plant said, he was very sensitive.

6 hours ago, TheGreatOne said:

I was thinking something along those lines of horny guys and illusion of a firecracker of a gal.  I suspect the poll was rigged or the tally results were counted in Floriduh

Who has some old Playboys in their basement?  Wish I could see the article and what was the full list of competing people.

Was she also nude within the magazine? Maybe the readership thought they were voting in a different poll and were confused. I could see some pubescent male thinking, "Karen Carpenter vs. John Bonham nude? WTF??? Bozo's a great drummer but I sure don't want to see him naked...cast my vote for Karen."

4 minutes ago, boylollipop said:

What is interesting is her technique.

It is quite impressive and way beyond Bonham's, which could explain why she won that particular poll.

What's even more impressive is, that this kind of disscussions, are completely irrelevant and it's always just who is your favourite,

so I wonder what kind of person you are, you could be all sorts of things, including a psychopath, and it's even more impressive,

that judging so far, you are absolutely not. So I'm telling you, no one cares, not even you. So much for rigid autistc thinking! ;)

I am 34 though haha!

2 hours ago, Matjaz1 said:

What's even more impressive is, that this kind of disscussions, are completely irrelevant and it's always just who is your favourite,

so I wonder what kind of person you are, you could be all sorts of things, including a psychopath, and it's even more impressive,

that judging so far, you are absolutely not. So I'm telling you, no one cares, not even you. So much for rigid autistc thinking! ;)

I am 34 though haha!

What's irrelevant about it? Karen Carpenter came in ahead of John Bonham in a Playboy drummer poll. Bonham was upset enough to make a stink about it.. It's part of Zeppelin history / legend.. Even more so than Jimmy's bestest hair style.. 

1 hour ago, the chase said:

What's irrelevant about it? Karen Carpenter came in ahead of John Bonham in a Playboy drummer poll. Bonham was upset enough to make a stink about it.. It's part of Zeppelin history / legend.. Even more so than Jimmy's bestest hair style.. 

It's irrelevant who is better! And Bonham has got a right to do a statement and it was quite a clever one and he didn't even say he is better, even if to many, 

many, he quite clearly is. 

1 hour ago, Matjaz1 said:

It's irrelevant who is better! And Bonham has got a right to do a statement and it was quite a clever one and he didn't even say he is better, even if to many, 

many, he quite clearly is. 

Well JB said "I'd like to have it publicized that I came in after Karen Carpenter in this years Playboy drummer poll. She couldn't last 3 minutes playing a Zeppelin number. Karen Carpenter. What a load of shit!" From memory but pretty much exact.. 

So it mattered to Mr Bonham.. I agree with you that polls are irrelevant. 100%. That's why I was shocked JB was so worked up about this. Felt this way in 1975 when I first read it and moreso now. If he let it go, we wouldn't be talking about it 40 years later.

I don't think I need to argue for a man, dead for so many years, only he and people around him, knew how upset he really way. And I as a person,

who thinks, he is obviously far better then she, I think he didn't really say anything particulary problematic. It doesn't neccesarily mean, he had a very high opinion of himself or always wanted to be first, he probably just thought, he was better, which is rather normal and for many also so obviously and clearly right, perhaps there is no need for discussion because of that.

2 hours ago, Matjaz1 said:

I don't think I need to argue for a man, dead for so many years, only he and people around him, knew how upset he really way. And I as a person,

who thinks, he is obviously far better then she, I think he didn't really say anything particulary problematic. It doesn't neccesarily mean, he had a very high opinion of himself or always wanted to be first, he probably just thought, he was better, which is rather normal and for many also so obviously and clearly right, perhaps there is no need for discussion because of that.

I'm not against him so you don't have to argue for him. John Bonham is the reason I'm a drummer today. Just clarifying what I read. His drumming influence is beyond reproach and gets stronger year after year.

But you said JB didn't say he was better. Saying she wouldn't last for 3 minutes doing what he did was saying he's better.. Agree?

Karen is known more now for her beautiful voice and tragic death from Anorexia Nervosa than for her considerable drumming talent. I'll leave it at that.

I admire your stance and agree nobody knows his thoughts but those around him. Some things do come off worse in print and he seemed very moody on the 75 tour.. 

Tommy Lee was placing in best keyboardist polls for his performance on Home Sweet Home so I don't need to say what a bunch of bs best of polls can be.. It's a popularity contest in a lot of cases and not a true mark of talent. 

7 hours ago, the chase said:

I'm not against him so you don't have to argue for him. John Bonham is the reason I'm a drummer today. Just clarifying what I read. His drumming influence is beyond reproach and gets stronger year after year.

But you said JB didn't say he was better. Saying she wouldn't last for 3 minutes doing what he did was saying he's better.. Agree?

Karen is known more now for her beautiful voice and tragic death from Anorexia Nervosa than for her considerable drumming talent. I'll leave it at that.

I admire your stance and agree nobody knows his thoughts but those around him. Some things do come off worse in print and he seemed very moody on the 75 tour.. 

Tommy Lee was placing in best keyboardist polls for his performance on Home Sweet Home so I don't need to say what a bunch of bs best of polls can be.. It's a popularity contest in a lot of cases and not a true mark of talent. 

Yeah well said.

There goes 5 minutes of my life, spent reading this thread. 

At the risk of getting my head bitten off, I'm going to say that polls are highly subjective. Besides, it depends on who the target audience was (the kind of people who voted in this poll, in terms of demographic information, etc.).  I really don't go by the results of polls. Hell, I even find myself shaking my head sometimes, at some election and recent referendum results. 

Anyway, I am just going to google Karen Carpenter and see what she's all about, when I have the time and inclination. Hopefully, I am in for a treat! 

Sheesh. They are both dead. Let it rest. I am sure Bonham was only taking the piss when he made those comments about the 1975 Playboy music poll. I doubt he took it serious...he probably found the results as goofy and hilarious as the rest of us. The whole thing reeked of a frat stunt...a bunch of guys saying "Wouldn't it be funny if Karen Carpenter won best drummer?" and flooding the Playboy offices with ballots.

That said, Karen Carpenter was no joke...she had some skills.

The Playboy Jazz & Pop poll began in 1957. Playboy's main interest and focus was on jazz...Hugh Hefner was, and still is, a huge supporter of jazz. The Playboy Jazz Festival has been around for ages and Hugh donates money to restoring old jazz films.

It was only as more baby boomers became readers in the 1960s and 1970s that Playboy granted more space and respect to rock and roll. But jazz was still the main love of its staff and most of their readers. So take the results with a grain of salt.

I don't think Playboy even does a music poll anymore, so it seems they realized their polls were useless after all.

18 minutes ago, Kiwi_Zep_Fan87 said:

Anyway, I am just going to google Karen Carpenter and see what she's all about, when I have the time and inclination. Hopefully, I am in for a treat! 

Here you go Kiwi...

Archived