4 new colour photos of Perth, '72 concert. 44 yrs later.

Nick S

Hello everyone,

Finally they're here after 44 years!

I went into the city centre early and heard the band running their sound check,  found an open gate and wandered through, as ya do! There were about a dozen other people there and I began to take some pictures on my Canon FT SLR loaded with Kodak Ectachrome colour slide film 400-ISO.

I wasn't accosted by anyone and this was well before I became aware of Peter Grant's fearsome reputation!

I remained for about 15 minutes, having snapped about 8 photos, before running out of film.... ____king Muppet! and then left to kill time around the city. I returned later and sat up in Tier 2, all concrete structure, to be be blasted by sound and the next 3 days of tinnitus. It was a good show and topped the others that I'd attended.

Decades pass and I start to make enquiries about recovering the photos and other personal items and eventually, last weekend, I am able to collect them, work on them and here they are now. A few are missing, so I'm left with these which is as good as we can expect.. . . and that is pretty much it.

I was invited out to Oz from England, having left school in 1970 but now live in Exeter, south west England. I'm putting these out on Flickr and other Facebook fan sites.

Anyway, enjoy them and here's to the next 40 years..Nick

LZ.1-group_edit_txt-2000.jpgLZ.2-group_edit_txt-2100.jpgLZ.3-Robert Plant_edit_txt-2500.jpgLZ.4-JPJ_edit_txt-2500.jpgLZ.addon-sound dsk_txt.jpgLZ.jpg

Edited by Nick S
remove line

Cheers Sam,

What gets me is how slack I was in certain aspects, for example, composition/view finder technique. In photo 5, Sound engineer, I could have just panned an inch to the right and got the chap [update: Michael 'Tiny' Gossen (L) & Clive Coulson (R)]  I could've shot some pics of the others gathered around the stage. Just moving around will change your perspective/view point and produce a totally different pic. I'm very glad i did'nt get the cut-off heads or mike-in-front-of-face although I should've got a better shot of John Bonham. I was pretty naive in them days and was probably out of my comfort zone and being rattled by the sound. :-). Peter Grant's son, Warren is making a documentary of his dad; I'll drop a set into him and see if he identifies (?) on the right.

Edited by Nick S

Great photos! With regard to the two men on the far right of the stage, the man who is seated behind the equipment could be Michael "Tiny" Gossen, a Showco sound and lighting technician (he worked with the band prior to their association with Showco?) and the man standing to his right could be Clive Coulson, a member of the stage crew for quite some time.

http://www.led-zeppelin.org/biographies/64-reference/biographies/associates-bio 

Edited by SteveAJones

Cheers Kiwi, much appreciated. Photos and pictures deserved to be hung and viewed. Music to be played, heard and enjoyed. Food and drink, well you get my point. I'm very pleased that these photos, technology and Social Media have co-joined to make this possible. They could have disappeared forever. Hopefully we'll be seing more in the future :)

Edited by Nick S
spelling

Hi Badgeholder, Thanks. I see that. Maybe they thought the shape of the stage would amplify things. Theres a couple of concrete tiers just ahead of him and a number of folks have admitted that their ears were ringing for days after; mine certainly were.. N

On July 9, 2016 at 4:31 PM, sk8rat said:

awesome pics. I guess robert plant wasn't lying when he said, "I am a traveler of both time and space". look at jonesy talking on a cellphone :D.

Ha!  That was my first thought when I saw this pic, sk8rat!

Nick, these photos are super cool, thank you for sharing them!  :thumbsup:

Love the band (of course) but also love the photos of the surrounding area as well.  Great job! :) 

On 09/07/2016 at 10:00 PM, Nick S said:

Hello everyone,

Finally they're here after 44 years!

I went into the city centre early and heard the band running their sound check,  found an open gate and wandered through, as ya do! There were about a dozen other people there and I began to take some pictures on my Canon FT SLR loaded with Kodak Ectachrome colour slide film 400-ISO.

I wasn't accosted by anyone and this was well before I became aware of Peter Grant's fearsome reputation!

I remained for about 15 minutes, having snapped about 8 photos, before running out of film.... ____king Muppet! and then left to kill time around the city. I returned later and sat up in Tier 2, all concrete structure, to be be blasted by sound and the next 3 days of tinnitus. It was a good show and topped the others that I'd attended.

Decades pass and I start to make enquiries about recovering the photos and other personal items and eventually, last weekend, I am able to collect them, work on them and here they are now. A few are missing, so I'm left with these which is as good as we can expect.. . . and that is pretty much it.

I was invited out to Oz from England, having left school in 1970 but now live in Exeter, south west England. I'm putting these out on Flickr and other Facebook fan sites.

Anyway, enjoy them and here's to the next 40 years..Nick

LZ.1-group_edit_txt-2000.jpgLZ.2-group_edit_txt-2100.jpgLZ.3-Robert Plant_edit_txt-2500.jpgLZ.4-JPJ_edit_txt-2500.jpgLZ.addon-sound dsk_txt.jpgLZ.jpg

Cannot belive you were able to just walk in and watch the soundcheck and take photos. ..and you left after 15 minutes? ??

Thanks for sharing,  very jealous :)

Hi Slave to Zep, I was pretty naive back then and probably did'nt grasp the importance of the situation properly. I mean, running out of film for Gawd's sake! A bit of foresight and we'd all be possibly looking at another xx images :mad: But yes, it was pure fluke and life often turns out that way, one extreme or the other...N

Edited by Nick S
text change

Hi TOWTF,  It can be a surprise what is seen in photos at times; I noticed this when viewing the pic for the first time last week. I didn't notice when viewing them back in '72 'tho.. The set list and further info can be viewed here: http://www.ledzeppelin.com/show/february-16-1972      cheers N

Edited by Nick S
add text

• 2 weeks later...

So this is truly amazing, thank you. Nowhere to be found on my days on the internet have I seen ANY photos of Zeppelin in Perth '72. A real first. There is also the rumor that a soundboard or radio broadcast recording was made, but was either not broadcast, or plan was cancelled before the show. Do you remember seeing an abundance of mics on stage during the show? Been a long time, but this tour is what I argue to be Zeppelin at their absolute best, technically especially. Before the days of "the visual show", Zeppelin at their peak was all about sound. See HTWWW for an example of what Zeppelin likely sounded like in Perth, or better yet, there are some great recordings from the same tour Down Under '72 that you HAVE to give a listen. B)

Awesomeness thanks. Looked like an F-ing evening!

And that had to be one of the best acoustic sets ever. Can't have Zeppelin without an acoustic set IMO. What defines Zeppelin, especially in a gig, better than electric acoustic then electric. Well, you can, just won't see the best band ever. Only the 2nd best, Zep without acoustic set. :lol:

Edited by Dirty Work