BBC Sessions and How the West Was Won Reissues

CrashMonkey

Is there any chance of these getting reissued or at least the originals pressed to vinyl again? Well again for BBC Sessions, HTWWW was never release on vinyl to my knowledge.  BBC box is currently going for $400+ on ebay. JP has said he was done after the current reissues, but then there was a comment about a year ago of him saying he'd release other studio stuff in maybe 5 years' time. 

Anyone heard anything about these getting done?

I wish they would reissue HTWWW with Tangerine, Heartbreak Hotel/Slow Down (edited out of WLL on the official album), Everyday People, Louie Louie, Organ Solo/TY, and CB. Especially since, overall compared to bands of a similar popularity that were also active in the 1970s, there isn't that much official live Zep. There's a number of songs that aren't properly represented live on the official catalog. I'm sure Jimmy could release some tracks from the '71, '73, '77, and '80 soundboards. And, with both nights combined, he could piece together more tracks from Earls Court. I should stop before I get on an off-topic rant...

Long Live Zeppelin, and may there be more live releases!

HTWWW was, in my opinion, a poor offering. No feeling, no Plantations, cut and pasted with an almost canned crowd. If ever I feel like listening to anything related to one of those shows I dig out "A Night At The Heartbreak Hotel"

9 minutes ago, Jimmy's Dragon Suit said:

I remember buying HTWWW and excited to hear a '72 soundboard of a legendary show. I couldn't even get passed the first two songs it sounded so compressed to hell. I still listen and enjoy the audience recordings. Re-release HTWWW on vinyl with no edits or cuts.

Yeah, I just wish Jimmy wouldn't be such a perfectionist and cut everything up. Plenty of bands/artists are willing to release something imperfect, and not cut bits and pieces out of everything. The Who, for example, don't chop-up all of their live output (listen to IOW '70, it's great, but imperfect, or the early stuff on the TKAA soundtrack). They even released all of their shows from 2002, 2004, 2006, 2007, and the U.S. tours from 2015/16 without edits. Twice in 2006, Roger Daltrey had to walk off stage due to allergies or bronchitis, and they just released those shows without edits.

And how about releasing a '70 or especially a '71 complete soundboard from before RP got screechy sounding.

Disc three is all new ''officially'....Of course these tracks have been available on bootleg forever...

Disc: 3

1. Communication Breakdown (23/3/69 Top Gear)
  2. What Is And What Should Never Be (22/6/69 Pop Sundae)
  3. Dazed And Confused (10/8/69 Playhouse Theatre)
  4. White Summer (10/8/69 Playhouse Theatre)
  5. What Is And What Should Never Be (1/4/71 Paris Theatre)
  6. Communication Breakdown (1/4/71 Paris Theatre)
  7. I Can't Quit You Baby (14/4/69 Rhythm & Blues Session)
  8. You Shook Me (14/4/69 Rhythm & Blues Session)
  9. Sunshine Woman (14/4/69 Rhythm & Blues Session)

• 3 weeks later...

I do still enjoy HTWWW but I'd agree the cuts and mixing of shows does rob it of a lot of the sense of occasion. Hopefully this big Floyd box will get Zep to put out something similar. Even if nothing else is in the vaults and Page isn't happy with just SB recordings then unedited versions of the RAH show, the 72 forum show, the Southampton 73 show and one of the nights at EC would make for a good boxset.

On 8/5/2016 at 11:08 AM, greenman said:

I do still enjoy HTWWW but I'd agree the cuts and mixing of shows does rob it of a lot of the sense of occasion. Hopefully this big Floyd box will get Zep to put out something similar. Even if nothing else is in the vaults and Page isn't happy with just SB recordings then unedited versions of the RAH show, the 72 forum show, the Southampton 73 show and one of the nights at EC would make for a good boxset.

Yeah. Jimmy would have to mess around with the vocals from the 5 different EC nights to make something that would satisfy him. But that's the thing: fans have lower standards than him.

22 hours ago, St Tristan's Sword said:

Yeah. Jimmy would have to mess around with the vocals from the 5 different EC nights to make something that would satisfy him. But that's the thing: fans have lower standards than him.

I can kind of see Page's viewpoint when it came to the DVD and HTWWW, these were the first big Zep releases since the band folded and were always going to get a ton of publicity and generally have an appeal to the mainstream music buyer. After those releases and the remasters of the standard albums though I think anything more is naturally going to be more of a hardcore audience that's going to be happier to put up with some rough edges and want a bit more of a sense of occasion.

Floyd who you could argue previously had even more exacting standards than Page seem to have picked up on that with this boxset so hopefully Page follows suit. Again its not like he would need to even fall back to SB's to put together quite a sizable release, more complete versions of what we already have with less editing and maybe Southampton 73 as well.

Archived