Little Things You Don't Like About Led Zeppelin?

I can't really think of anything major but more will come to mind

1 - I kinda hate all photos of Jimmy wearing sunglasses in '77.  Some are really cool but others just too kinda creepy and depressing in his drug daze and thin body posture.

2 - Not sure about '75 and have to see but some '77 shows Robert is little too giddy and has an annoying laugh, but seems little fake or too many times he says like a HaHa short and quick.  Not sure if he was tweaking on pills but seems it a bit.  At end of few comments he do that quick laugh.

I agree about White Summer and out of place and others have mentioned Rain Song being out of place in the 1980 shows.   Not enough videos, - God today with Cellphones would be epic to see some of the Hotel shenanigans going on.

The thing with Plant wearing feminine garb along with Page sometimes, I can't see how it's so bothersome. I mean a

large part of Zep's music was so aggressive and macho, some actually thought the clothes are a reason to question

their manhood ?? Maybe the blouses etc. may irk some, but Plant almost had girlfriends in every other town, and he 

and Page of course had their individual sexual escapades. You're not talking Bowie or whatever. I actually thought

some of the feminine stuff made the band appear even more macho, because it seemed like a statement saying there's

no way you're gonna take the man out of me, and I'm gonna wear whatever I want, F..ck what society thinks. And White

Summer, many later versions are almost unprofessional, embarrassing in fact. Page really almost slid into a mild 

delusional state with those habits. In fact I'm irritated that Page never really went into the addiction and it's terrible

effects on him. But his condition did get so bad that many falling so far and hard don't want to speak.

I'm not sure who started the blouse thing.  Mick Jagger, New York Dolls ?

1967 Jimmy was wearing blouses technically and lot of ruffled shirts that looked from 17th century.   Pretty sure I've see some photos of Jimmy with Andy Warhol, there was a whole scene going on there too

4 minutes ago, TheGreatOne said:

I'm not sure who started the blouse thing.  Mick Jagger, New York Dolls ?

1967 Jimmy was wearing blouses technically and lot of ruffled shirts that looked from 17th century.   Pretty sure I've see some photos of Jimmy with Andy Warhol, there was a whole scene going on there too

The Pirate Shirt!?

As for dislikes, gripes about things that happened almost half a century ago are moot points.

I have always admired their warts and all approach. Plant obviously dressed for the ladies as did Page. Effeminate? Depends on your perspective.

It is as it was.

Damn I miss the '70's!

Lack of video, but not so much as there is some stuff out there and the DVD's.

Mostly though, the vids do not show enough of Bonham when he is rampaging through a particularly tasty fill or JPJ pretty much at all!

Most annoying on that point - in WLL off TSRTS, there is a baseline run that speeds up and goes up a gear, and the fact no mofo thought to capture that moment in particular, especially since they wern't capturing a lot of him, so why not at least that!

at around the 3:12 - but pretty much the bass through that section: "hey guys, hear that cracking good underlying bass? How about you get AT LEAST ONE SHOT of it?!?!?!?!" Someone should have said!

21 minutes ago, the chase said:

As mentioned the wardrobe was a sign on the times and pretty tame compared to a lot of artists.. 

Bowie

Elton John

NY Dolls

Kiss 

Queen 

Sweet

Ian Anderson.... 

......(and) Didn't they all look ridiculous, never got that camp theatrical look, don't think Ian Anderson should be on your list though.

21 hours ago, sk8rat said:

no offense but the contrast in opinion is probably because you are not a guy :D.  I dont think many of the guys were too excited to see roberts pants back in those days.:lol:.  he was always a bit feminine from the early days and as a guy I can say, man did he pull it off but the later days was really more for the ladies than anything. that said it wasnt always extremely over the top but sometimes it could be distracting.

:wave:

I do understand your side of the coin. :yesnod:  I kind of look at like Plants pants in T S R T S movie
is a female displaying ample amounts cleavage.  It's not meant to be focal point - just a fun
distraction.   And yes  Zep through the eyes of a female and through the eyes of (most) males can
be very different haha! :lol:  It's cool though! We're all fans of their music!!

Shit this is so off topic.  It's a thread about little things about Zep that irk you and I'm derailing the
hell out of it.  Sorry to the original poster.
 :oops:

22 hours ago, Reggie29 said:

The Pirate Shirt!?

I don't recall anything with a Pirate symbol or anything.   There a few shirts I've seen and was mostly all Pre-Zeppelin.    Ruffled by the chest area and some shirts with ruffles at the cuff area too

32 minutes ago, TheGreatOne said:

I don't recall anything with a Pirate symbol or anything.   There a few shirts I've seen and was mostly all Pre-Zeppelin.    Ruffled by the chest area and some shirts with ruffles at the cuff area too

That refers to a Seinfeld episode.

17 hours ago, TheGreatOne said:

pirate jimmy :D

tumblr_nf6t2vbti91tg7un8o1_540.jpg

I respect others views of the band at times maybe dressing a bit feminine at times. But take 73' as an example. Yes, Plant

would wear blouses,etc. But within 5 or 10 seconds of opening with Rock'n'Roll, it is unmistakeable that the band wants to

blow the roof off of the venue they're playing. It's like there would be a SWAT team in dresses but all holding AK's....

The odd/feminine clothing thing , I understand people's technical/ emotional response, but the immense power

Zep generated live, would some fans actually still be bothered all the way thru the show by the clothing ?? I would admit

that if you showed video of the band without any music, to a stranger unfamiliar with Zep, it may well appear odd.

1 hour ago, Mithril46 said:

I respect others views of the band at times maybe dressing a bit feminine at times. But take 73' as an example. Yes, Plant

would wear blouses,etc. But within 5 or 10 seconds of opening with Rock'n'Roll, it is unmistakeable that the band wants to

blow the roof off of the venue they're playing. It's like there would be a SWAT team in dresses but all holding AK's....

The odd/feminine clothing thing , I understand people's technical/ emotional response, but the immense power

Zep generated live, would some fans actually still be bothered all the way thru the show by the clothing ?? I would admit

that if you showed video of the band without any music, to a stranger unfamiliar with Zep, it may well appear odd.

True dat! The aspect of comparison thought would be between Zep & Queen as they both presented themselves in a similar vein live. However, thought Freddie was gay, his stage movements and actions came across as more masculine than Plant's in 73' in particular. Of course once Freddie started with the cape and crown only a fool would miss what Freddie was getting at. It seems obvious to me in retrospect that both bands were influenced (stage presentation wise) by glam and Bowie, after all Jimmy started wearing the stage costumes during the end of the Ziggy Stardust tour 72' - 73'. Plant though seemed more ultra-hippy in 73' than glam which seemed to be Jimmy's thing. When you think about it the band members themselves were very different in regard to stage look from 73' to 77' than any other band I can think of. Other bands, the members tended to have similar looks on stage, but Zeppelin, you had glam (Jimmy), the hippy (Plant), the average joe (Bonzo), and Jonesey, well, he was doing his own thing which varied from night to night. 

The thing is, if this is / was the only thing that put me off from time to time, it really is nothing. 

Ian Anderson & the cod piece, classic! Gotta love the 70's! The metal / glam bands of the 80's like the Crue and such tried to be outrageous with their look but just would up looking ridiculous. Big hair, make up, and active pick ups...no thank you. Though Mick Mars is a monster guitarist so he gets a pass.

It annoys me that Jimmy was on a show with that bum, Jack White/Black, whatever his name is. Sounds like a male Yoko Ono, and can't play.

Jimmy (and Jeff Beck) seem to play with anyone because they can't sing.. Black Crowes, Puff Daddy, etc... I actually wish he'd release another instrumental album, I don't like his songs with vocals. "Emerald Eyes", "Prelude" "The Release" are a few great tracks.

19 hours ago, JTM said:

Yes, but Ian Anderson did'nt use make up.

OK fair enough. Stays on my list though. I'm probably a bigger fan of that JT era now more than ever too. Incredibly tight band.  

The whole Robert Plant stage persona when I first saw TSRTS did surprise me a little. Again my only real complaint was the imbalance of press, camera time, photos, lighting and interviews during their existence was pretty annoying. You see the same thing with a lot of bands.

Aerosmith bothers me too for this reason. Joe Perry gets credit for much of Brad Whitord's playing.. Not Perry's fault. He says he couldn't do what he does without Brad. 

Edited by the chase

On ‎7‎/‎27‎/‎2016 at 4:10 PM, Walter said:

Yep!

As far as the sexuality of the performances, remember they  were on the heels of the sexual revolution of the 60's.  Society had kept sexuality under wraps for so long, until Elvis and many others tried to bring it to tv, etc.  Jim Morrison was forbidden to say lyrics to Light My Fire on tv because of the sexual imagery (even though he still did).  This was a different time and the music was pushing personal freedoms - sex included.  So, while I don't enjoy Robert's shrieks as much as his singing, I just chalk it up to the times and the limits being pushed.  

Jim Morrison wasn't allowed to sing the lyric higher, because of the drug reference.

11 minutes ago, #1fan said:

Jim Morrison wasn't allowed to sing the lyric higher, because of the drug reference.

That's funny because the "higher" censorship reference, I've always heard, was referring to an erection/f*cking. 

2 minutes ago, Walter said:

That's funny because the "higher" censorship reference, I've always heard, was referring to an erection/f*cking. 

Just watched a doors documentary, It said it was for drugs, I always heard drugs too. lol

Fronted by their charismatic-but-unpredictable singer Jim Morrison, the group had recently scored its first No. 1 hit with “Light My Fire,” and Sullivan’s show — which had made instant superstars of Elvis Presley and the Beatles — was a choice booking. But the Doors’ performance that night would live on in a very different way, resulting in the group being banned from the show in perpetuity.

According to the official Ed Sullivan Show website, rehearsals for the show went well, and with 15 minutes to air time, Sullivan went to see the band in their dressing room, telling them, “You boys look great, [but] you ought to smile a little more.” Shortly after, a producer from the show came by to inform the band that they needed to change the line “Girl, we couldn’t get much higher” to “Girl, we couldn’t get much better” when performing “Light My Fire,” ostensibly because the line might be construed as referring to drugs.

Read More: 48 Years Ago: The Doors Banned From 'The Ed Sullivan Show' | http://ultimateclassicrock.com/the-doors-banned-from-the-ed-sullivan-show-september-17-1967/?trackback=tsmclip

You have to remember that there was a huge wave of androgyny among top music acts, particularly the Brit ones, and society as a whole during the 70s.  Jagger, Bowie, Stewart, Elton John, Queen, etc.  Mascara was universally worn.

29 minutes ago, #1fan said:

Just watched a doors documentary, It said it was for drugs, I always heard drugs too. lol

Fronted by their charismatic-but-unpredictable singer Jim Morrison, the group had recently scored its first No. 1 hit with “Light My Fire,” and Sullivan’s show — which had made instant superstars of Elvis Presley and the Beatles — was a choice booking. But the Doors’ performance that night would live on in a very different way, resulting in the group being banned from the show in perpetuity.

According to the official Ed Sullivan Show website, rehearsals for the show went well, and with 15 minutes to air time, Sullivan went to see the band in their dressing room, telling them, “You boys look great, [but] you ought to smile a little more.” Shortly after, a producer from the show came by to inform the band that they needed to change the line “Girl, we couldn’t get much higher” to “Girl, we couldn’t get much better” when performing “Light My Fire,” ostensibly because the line might be construed as referring to drugs.

Read More: 48 Years Ago: The Doors Banned From 'The Ed Sullivan Show' | http://ultimateclassicrock.com/the-doors-banned-from-the-ed-sullivan-show-september-17-1967/?trackback=tsmclip

Thank you for that information.