Little Things You Don't Like About Led Zeppelin?

On 12/16/2016 at 4:38 PM, Thomasw536 said:

Robert often came across too femanate and pretended he was this hippie free spirit on a journey, when in fact he was just sitting around hotel rooms getting stoned every night after shows.  He was just too girly for me.

Really? He was a free spirit on a journey every night - a recreational journey in his mind. Why do you think he was getting stoned every night? Called a trip for a reason. Sounds pretty acceptable to me.

What I don't like is that there are not enough studio albums. I get kinda bored listening to the same ones over.

Edited by Dane1968
forgot something

• 4 weeks later...

1. The fact that they populated their road crew with thugs and criminals and let them run wild

2. Richard Cole (see #1)

3. Robert's general cheesiness

4. Bonzo's offstage bad behavior

5. Robert's refusal to do a Zep reunion tour even though he performs Zep songs with everyone else in the world

On 3/6/2017 at 4:55 PM, ThreeSticks said:

I know, it's easy to get envious about a guy whose getting laid with a snap of his fingers, and so you want to find some way to put the guy down even though you secretly want what he's got. Plant was the definition of a rock star: all the chicks wanted to be with him, and all the guys wanted to be like him. If you've got those 2 things covered, your band is going to be popular. The fact that Plant is a highly intelligent person who is well versed in history, legends and mythology makes him all the more interesting.

Chicks may have wanted to be with Robert, but without question guys wanted to be Jimmy Page. If you asked male Led Zep fans which of the four band members they would have traded places with, 99% probably would have said Page. What guy doesn't want to be a Guitar God? Putting out all those sounds? I was in high school when Led Zeppelin was big, and all the boys worshiped Jimmy Page. Truthfully, I think most male fans tolerated Robert's flaky-ness in order to enjoy Page and Bonham.

And speaking as a chick, when I was 14 I thought Robert Plant was the hottest thing alive. I guess that tells you something about the demographic he appeals to. Then when I grew up, I was all about Jimmy. Robert looked like a hippie but Jimmy looked ... Rock and Roll. And he was handsomer. Now when I looked at Plant, all I saw was a frizzy mop of hair and bad teeth, thrusting his hairy bare torso out (we can see you have a hot body, you don't need to hit us over the head with it). He actually looked better in the Eighties once he got his hair out of his face. Robert's look completely stagnated between 1972 and 1977, his hair and stage apparel stayed exactly the same, so if I see a concert still of him from that period I have no way of knowing what year it's from, whereas that's not the case with Jimmy. Robert should have kept the goatee, it made him more interesting-looking.

And looking at the two men in recent years, you can't deny that Jimmy has aged waaay better than Robert. Robert's intelligent and does have knowledge about mythology, but Ahmet Ertugen and Neal Preston described Jimmy as the smartest in the band. When I think about it, of the four band members, the one who was the coolest onstage and offstage was John Paul Jones.

But it's Jimmy Page's picture that belongs in the dictionary under "rock star." Not Robert Plant.

Edited by LedGirl
Add content

Just now, porgie66 said:

I hate when Robert says  " feel it!!!" after ..." it isn't hard to feel me glowing" in 1975 versions of the Rain Song.  Always make me go ... :thumbdown:

You'd think the other three band members would have tried to shut all that cheesy shit down. I certainly would have. As a Zep fan, when you think of what embarrasses you most about the band it's usually to do with Robert. Just look at all the comments on this thread, they're mostly all Plant-related.

2 minutes ago, Mook said:

Some Zeppelin fan, your first three posts on the forum have been to slate Robert Plant.

Sorry not sorry. Since when are there "rules" for being a proper fan? As much as I love the band I believe in keeping it real. I'm not anti-Robert. I respect him as a great rock singer and I respect his post-Zeppelin career. He's obviously matured with age. But he's not my favorite member of the band, for certain reasons. Sue me. No one "owns" Led Zeppelin fandom or defines what it's supposed to be. If you think he's the shit, then good for you. I'm a Jimmy person. And I'm hardly alone in my views.

16 minutes ago, LedGirl said:

Sorry not sorry. Since when are there "rules" for being a proper fan? As much as I love the band I believe in keeping it real. I'm not anti-Robert. I respect him as a great rock singer and I respect his post-Zeppelin career. He's obviously matured with age. But he's not my favorite member of the band, for certain reasons. Sue me. No one "owns" Led Zeppelin fandom or defines what it's supposed to be. If you think he's the shit, then good for you. I'm a Jimmy person. And I'm hardly alone in my views.

Well, after all... this is the little things you don't like thread. Plant annoys me too, he always has... but he's also a distinctive ingredient in their success.  I suppose there should be a "Little Things You LOVE About Zeppelin Thread" too. I have a habit of focusing on what's wrong sometimes too! :unsure: Here's another little thing I don't like....the fact they dropped Wanton Song from the 75 set early in the tour. I would love to hear a clear recording of that tune!! Damn it!

Edited by porgie66

9 hours ago, LedGirl said:

I didn't say there were rules, it just seems odd that you've registered on the forum & have used your first three posts to slate Robert Plant & his 'cheesy shit'.

Personally I don't see the need to pick a band member, all four of them were great, they all had their faults too like any other human being.

Look, any entity, group, or outfit that is going to have as their main objective to create the most powerful, loud, audacious,

and or extreme/ limitless art or music is by it's very nature going to have detractors. Even among fans  Otherwise listen

to smooth jazz. Zep were gods musically, but they are also legendary for acting like gods, however distasteful.

18 hours ago, LedGirl said:

Robert's look completely stagnated between 1972 and 1977, his hair and stage apparel stayed exactly the same, so if I see a concert still of him from that period I have no way of knowing what year it's from, whereas that's not the case with Jimmy.

Spot on, after all, you can easily know exactly what year and tour was on by simply looking at Jimmy's evolving (devolving) look from 68' - 75'. Of course it is very easy to know if it is pre or post-75' Jimmy from the dramatic weight loss and dead eyes in 77', then his bad teeth from 79' & 80'. Talk about a guy who went from one extreme to the other!

Regarding Robert, I must disagree as it is very easy to tell what year / tour it is by what old Robert is wearing, and, his new grill he had by 75'. Pre 75' Robert did not smile too much due to his teeth but from 75' on he was always smiling in pictures.

AS I pointed out earlier, yes Robert could be a bit foppish, especially in 73', but I believe it was just a trend of the times, the glam era. Bowie was doing this, Mercury and Elton John were doing this, and Jagger, holy shit, that guy could out fop Perez Hilton. Also, as for guys wanting to be more Page than Plant, the opposite is actually true in regard to musicians looks in the mid-70's. Who did Frampton try to look like...Plant. Coverdale? Rob Halford? Lou Gramm? Sammy Hagar? Even Billy Joel donned the Plant look early in his career when in the band Attila. I would say it was more like 50 / 50, most guys could go either way. Me, I was more of a Page guy because I play guitar, but also, Plant was so damn good looking I looked upon his as an unattainable goal, just unreal.  

1 hour ago, Mook said:

You should see the rows on the smooth jazz forum I go on.

They make this place look like mums.net.

Ha, I can see it now:

Jazz Fan #1: Coltrane is god

Jazz Fan #2: Screw Coltrane, Parker pounds his ass...

JF#1: BLASPHEMY!!! I will KEEELLLLL YOU!!!!

Moderator: Screw both of you guys, Kenny G is the alpha & the omega...both of you tools are banned.

3 hours ago, IpMan said:

Ha, I can see it now:

Jazz Fan #1: Coltrane is god

Jazz Fan #2: Screw Coltrane, Parker pounds his ass...

JF#1: BLASPHEMY!!! I will KEEELLLLL YOU!!!!

Moderator: Screw both of you guys, Kenny G is the alpha & the omega...both of you tools are banned.

Hence, real jazz fans shouldn't be on a smooth jazz forum- period!!

On 7/28/2016 at 10:56 AM, JTM said:

......(and) Didn't they all look ridiculous, never got that camp theatrical look, don't think Ian Anderson should be on your list though.

As a die hard fan of both KISS and QUEEN (who LOVES "Get Down, Make Love," btw),  I say HECK NO.

Mine:

1.  Very little live music released, in comparison to other bands

2. Some others said the same thing.  The band's not wanting to acknowledge "In Through the Out Door." 

3. Led Zeppelin not giving proper credit to other artists (Dazed and Confused, Whole Lotta Love (Willie Dixon) , etc.).  

11 hours ago, IpMan said:

Spot on, after all, you can easily know exactly what year and tour was on by simply looking at Jimmy's evolving (devolving) look from 68' - 75'. Of course it is very easy to know if it is pre or post-75' Jimmy from the dramatic weight loss and dead eyes in 77', then his bad teeth from 79' & 80'. Talk about a guy who went from one extreme to the other!

Regarding Robert, I must disagree as it is very easy to tell what year / tour it is by what old Robert is wearing, and, his new grill he had by 75'. Pre 75' Robert did not smile too much due to his teeth but from 75' on he was always smiling in pictures.

AS I pointed out earlier, yes Robert could be a bit foppish, especially in 73', but I believe it was just a trend of the times, the glam era. Bowie was doing this, Mercury and Elton John were doing this, and Jagger, holy shit, that guy could out fop Perez Hilton. Also, as for guys wanting to be more Page than Plant, the opposite is actually true in regard to musicians looks in the mid-70's. Who did Frampton try to look like...Plant. Coverdale? Rob Halford? Lou Gramm? Sammy Hagar? Even Billy Joel donned the Plant look early in his career when in the band Attila. I would say it was more like 50 / 50, most guys could go either way. Me, I was more of a Page guy because I play guitar, but also, Plant was so damn good looking I looked upon his as an unattainable goal, just unreal.  

U must be one ugly bastard. Plant looks like shit in every era. Bad teeth (he's English), crappy evertything. Just nasty in general. The English have always tended to be gross in hygiene.  Pretty much like in the southern USA  

Edited by Silverseas

1 hour ago, Silverseas said:

U must be one ugly bastard. Plant looks like shit in every era. Bad teeth (he's English), crappy evertything. Just nasty in general. The English have always tended to be gross in hygiene.  Pretty much like in the southern USA  

I am assuming this is satire because very few can attain such a pinnacle of doucheness. This is some zen master level asshole shit.

Oh crap...Donald Trump...is that you?

8 hours ago, Beholder said:

Mine:

1.  Very little live music released, in comparison to other bands

Is this a joke? Might not be officially released but we have nearly more than any other classic band when it goes for live shows

Edited by TheStairwayRemainsTheSame

5 hours ago, Silverseas said:

Lets see a picture of you then.

You will never tread the air above the din like this man did in your sad little life.

1103695.jpg

The last 8 or 9 posters, you have (in a good way) made me almost fall over laughing. Plant, yes the teeth, but many chicks

I know/knew thought he was hot. And he is described here a bit as some sort of smelly man/ape hybrid homeless derelict

wearing discarded shower curtains. Ha Ha Ha. And I'm gonna ask you to step outside if you mention Kenny G in

the same sentence as Coltrane or Parker. I am truly sickened by someone comparing aural wallpaper to sculpted art. Not.

I must go on this apparent flamethrower site for good laughs. Cheerio !!!!

23 minutes ago, Mithril46 said:

The last 8 or 9 posters, you have (in a good way) made me almost fall over laughing. Plant, yes the teeth, but many chicks

I know/knew thought he was hot. And he is described here a bit as some sort of smelly man/ape hybrid homeless derelict

wearing discarded shower curtains. Ha Ha Ha. And I'm gonna ask you to step outside if you mention Kenny G in

the same sentence as Coltrane or Parker. I am truly sickened by someone comparing aural wallpaper to sculpted art. Not.

I must go on this apparent flamethrower site for good laughs. Cheerio !!!!

Hahaha!

Edited by porgie66