Things You've Heard From The Audience?

MortSahlFan

That Japan show where they are waiting for Bonzo shows you what a real leader Jimmy actually was, when Robert started singing red nosed-reindeer, Jimmy stopped him right in his tracks with "come on it's getting silly now...".

It's very rare how you see those early leadership glimpses EVER. Post Presence Jimmy was probably way to drained to bother leading.

Edited by TheStairwayRemainsTheSame

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Ditto on Charlotte 72, some funny comments around the taper such as...

- Observing about 4,000 empty seats and that the arena seats about 12,000 for basketball. Accounts precisely for the 8,000 attendance. -Some Beavis and Butthead-type chuckling during GTC after Robert says "it's hard...it's terribly hard."
- It was during the acoustic set the one says "they're usually better than this."

After the acoustic set, the following exchange:

Taper: "Think there's only 15 minutes left" (on the side of the tape he's using)...then to someone else in on the taping "You wanna use the Sony?"
Another guy: "Ssshhh!"
Taper: "Probably gonna play some long songs now. You wanna use the Sony? Looks like about 15 minutes left"

Unsurprisingly there's a cut in the recording several minutes later during D&C as the taper swaps out tapes. 🙄

Also, first night at the Boston Tea Party in 69, immediately after ALAIHY a girl goes "Dynamite." Surprised no boot from this show was ever given that title.

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

These are amazing! I ran across this on google looking for Zeppelin interviews. I love these above ^^^

I plan on listening to some concerts and will try to come back to this... I just finished, "Zeppelin on Zeppelin", a chronological log of interviews (also with author notes before/after interview) which I would HIGHLY recommend... Then I spent a ton of time listening to all the interviews. Here's one I enjoyed, and there's one with Plant/Jones from 1979 and it's great to hear things right when they happened. I also recommend this "In Through The Out Door" documentary, especially part 6, where they really go into "Carouselambra"

2 hours ago, JMH said:

Brought up here already but the comment during OTT 28.4. 1977 was, This sucks!. Haha.

I had always wondered if the average audience was that different compared today, a ~20 min drum solo 😂, and they are all cool about it.

Well, the answer lies at about 2.05.03 exact

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WnsmHRUWlFs

Thanks for posting. I definitely heard a lot of compliments. Specifically heard, "Awesome"... I can't remember the last time I saw a drum solo at a concert, though.

21 minutes ago, MortSahlFan said:

Thanks for posting. I definitely heard a lot of compliments. Specifically heard, "Awesome"... I can't remember the last time I saw a drum solo at a concert, though.

A bit of OT is OK after OTT. Danny Carey threw in a short one at least in the latest tout from TOOL. Could have been a lot longer for me at least.

2 minutes ago, JMH said:

A bit of OT is OK after OTT. Danny Carey threw in a short one at least in the latest tout from TOOL. Could have been a lot longer for me at least.

I'm actually a drummer, and oddly enough, it's not the most exciting part of a Soundboard concert on YouTube... I do look at disparities - how far they stray from the way it is on record, and if their jam is done show after show, or focusing on the set-list, to see how much is new vs. the old. Not to go too off-topic, but I was just having this conversation with my brother, about set-lists, and how boring it is constantly hearing the hits, and how there's plenty of non-hits that still have appeal at a concert. Upbeat, just not played on the radio for whatever reason. But, the minute the band says, "We're gonna play some songs of our new album", so many went to stand in line to use the restroom, or get food, to get a drink, to smoke, and I did this at a Rush concert when I was alone at about 19. But, there's always a first time for everything, and even the biggest hits would be played months or years before they were ever released. Working it out live, getting feedback from the audience, changing it up sometimes, Like this show, "Here's one that's going to be on our next song, 'Kashmir', so it can't be that bad".

It's been years since I stopped collecting Zeppelin boots, and it's too bad there isn't much video footage outside of official releases (especially the DVDs). I do have many VHS tapes, but I had some water damage, and I'm not in the mood to see what is and what will never be.

• 1 month later...
On 1/24/2019 at 11:41 PM, strombringer101 said:

I wonder if any tape  exist of a tapper getting busted by Or close to getting busted by security or Richard Cole himself?

Eddie vincent on youtube has his own recording and 20 mins in he is caught by peter grant 

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 10/14/2022 at 5:36 AM, MortSahlFan said:

These are amazing! I ran across this on google looking for Zeppelin interviews. I love these above ^^^

I plan on listening to some concerts and will try to come back to this... I just finished, "Zeppelin on Zeppelin", a chronological log of interviews (also with author notes before/after interview) which I would HIGHLY recommend... Then I spent a ton of time listening to all the interviews. Here's one I enjoyed, and there's one with Plant/Jones from 1979 and it's great to hear things right when they happened. I also recommend this "In Through The Out Door" documentary, especially part 6, where they really go into "Carouselambra"

I really like this one. I hadn’t heard it in a very long time. So very cool to hear John. Man, what a loss. I can only imagine what it was like for them. We have all certainly lost loved ones in our lives. But to think of the enormity of this loss individually, and collectively, and what it was to the music world cannot be overstated. I realize the loss of John Lennon. I certainly know that we have lost major influences over the years, I can’t help but feel that this loss, their loss, our loss of the greatest drummer who is obviously part of the greatest band has not been fully realized by the general public. Maybe that is what makes this band so different, that even if you were not alive to see them, or old enough to have seen them, but to listen and or read interviews, you really get the magnitude of who he was to the group, and who he was and what he meant to all of us. Just tragic, and also very cool to hear his thoughts and opinions on any number of subjects. 

Thanks for posting this. 

I completely agree with you. John Lennon had a profound impact on the music world, and his loss is still felt deeply today. His talent and creativity were unmatched, and he will continue to be remembered for generations. It's incredible that we can still access his music and views, even after all this time, and it's a great reminder of the power of music and how it can transcend time. John will always be remembered as a true legend, and his influence will never be forgotten.

Edited by ericmiles

• 1 month later...