1972 Japan Tour

Xolo1974

Hi all, 

Hoping for a little help. I've not actually heard any of these dates yet.....but was wondering if you might be able to save me a bit of time. Any chance you let me know what are the best sounding versions/labels/names etc for each of the dates. I'm assuming they are all audience recordings?

Cheers

You can't go wrong with either the first Budokan show in Tokyo... A great audience recording and I guess the world première for the Song Remains the Same. The show that is often cited as the pinacle of the second Japan tour is the last night in Osaka. This 'my brain hurts' performance is also blessed with a very good audience recording and features an impromptu rendition of Ben E King's Stand By Me, but also a furious version of Immigrant Song as encores.

On 8/7/2016 at 1:32 AM, duckman said:

You can't go wrong with either the first Budokan show in Tokyo... A great audience recording and I guess the world première for the Song Remains the Same. The show that is often cited as the pinacle of the second Japan tour is the last night in Osaka. This 'my brain hurts' performance is also blessed with a very good audience recording and features an impromptu rendition of Ben E King's Stand By Me, but also a furious version of Immigrant Song as encores.

I wish wish WISH there was a professionally recorded version of them doing Stand By Me. I just love the version they do in the Osaka concert. Plant sounds great singing it.

On 8/8/2016 at 0:50 PM, Balthazor said:

I wish wish WISH there was a professionally recorded version of them doing Stand By Me. I just love the version they do in the Osaka concert. Plant sounds great singing it.

one of my favorites. the fact that we have the recording to begin with is a god send. I dont know if anyone would believe how good it was or if it even happened without it :P

This brings up a question I always come to when it comes to these types of covers - Blueberry Hill, Stand By Me, all of the covers during WLL or HMMT - who was the driving force behind the selections of those songs? It sounds so organic and natural as it comes across live, they HAVE to have covered these during sound check. My question is itPage who leads them into the Think It Over cover etc, or Plant who just starts sining and the rest of the band is so good they can follow/pick it up just that fast. 

Its truly amazing to listen to, esp the shows from 1970. 

16 hours ago, The Only Way To Fly said:

This brings up a question I always come to when it comes to these types of covers - Blueberry Hill, Stand By Me, all of the covers during WLL or HMMT - who was the driving force behind the selections of those songs? It sounds so organic and natural as it comes across live, they HAVE to have covered these during sound check. My question is itPage who leads them into the Think It Over cover etc, or Plant who just starts sining and the rest of the band is so good they can follow/pick it up just that fast. 

Its truly amazing to listen to, esp the shows from 1970. 

I'd say it's a combination of both. and yes the band is that good. The Rhythm Section can pickup on anything that Plant sings or Page plays. And Yes they more than likely did a lot of these kinds of songs during rehearsal to keep it fresh and fun. Just listen to what is called the Chicago sound check from 73. Not sure about the real date though.

Archived