New Wave Of British Heavy Metal (NWOBHM)

In the late 70s, early 80s, Heavy Metal was enjoying a resurgence in Britain, with British Musicians taking up Instruments and forming Bands all across the country.

Musically, NWOBHM took the likes of early Hard Rock and Metal artists, such as Black Sabbath, Led Zeppelin and AC DC, and fused it with the energy of Punk music.

NWOBHM music was fast, heavy and mighty. They also took elements from Progressive Rock as well, often creating Long prog metal songs.

Lyrically, They were rooted in Rebellion and Fantasy.

Some notable bands around the time included Iron Maiden, Saxon, Girlschool, Diamond Head, Venom and Def Leppard.

Most of the bands fell into obscurity, with some exceptions

Here are some classic NWOBHM tunes. Enjoy :)

Def Leppard - 'Rock Brigade', from their album 'On Through The Night' released in 1980

Iron Maiden - 'Phantom Of The Opera', from their self Titled Album, released in 1980

Girlschool - 'Race With The Devil', from their album 'Demolition', released in 1980

Saxon - 'Frozen Rainbow', from their self titled album, released in 1979

I was right there Stairway. I saw "The Heavy Metal Crusade" tour featuring Nutz, Saxon and Iron Maiden on 13th October 1979 at Manchester UMIST Union ( I still have the ticket).  Iron Maiden were terrible and we shouted them to get off !! A few years later I met the band whilst working in Jersey ( they were writing and recording there). I recalled the show to Steve Harris who laughed and bought me a few drinks

Saxon were always good though. Saw them many times supporting the likes of The Scorpions and Motorhead, as well as headlining themselves. Def Leppard we saw supporting Sammy Hagar in 1978. I wasn't a big fan though. Saw them headlining a year or so later and didn't rate them. 

Girlschool toured with Motorhead and I remember Anglewitch, Witchfyne - a band from Derbyshire who were great - they were one of the only bands whose guitarist used a violin bow 

Those were good days for hard rock and the various off shoots. We saw loads of these bands in small clubs in Manchester. Proggy type ones too. Marillion that sort of thing. One band who were amazingly talented were Haze. I wonder what happened to them?

One album which captures the times was called " metallergy" or this one:

In My opinion, the two best bands to come out of this New Wave of Metal were Judas Priest and Iron Maiden.  I know that might be cliché to some, but these two "Metal" bands did a lot for the New Wave of Heavy Metal bands that followed in their wake.  The wake before them was, of course, Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath and Deep Purple. 

I saw the documentaries of this on VH1 Classic a couple of years ago.  It was good and informative. 

4 hours ago, kingzoso said:

In My opinion, the two best bands to come out of this New Wave of Metal were Judas Priest and Iron Maiden.  I know that might be cliché to some, but these two "Metal" bands did a lot for the New Wave of Heavy Metal bands that followed in their wake.  The wake before them was, of course, Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath and Deep Purple. 

I saw the documentaries of this on VH1 Classic a couple of years ago.  It was good and informative. 

Even though you are mentioning  Judas Priest, their first album was in 1974 way before the movement began. I never really associated them with the NWOBHM. " Sad wings if destiny" sounds more like Queen with Rob Halford's wailing. But you can hear where Iron Maiden get their influences from.

• 4 months later...

If I were a member of Tigers of Pan Tang or Def Leppard at that time I would not be happy being labeled "heavy metal" they were rock bands; their sound was a mix or hybrid of elements that consisted of Led Zeppelin, UFO, AC/DC and Queen and pinches of Ziggy Stardust, Ian Hunter, Thin Lizzy, Gary Glitter and Slade 

They shared nothing in common with Anvil and Judas Priest or even Iron Maiden and so on.

Its funny because the heavy metal guys resented them for being labeled as part of their genre but I don't think Tigers of Pan Tang or Def Leppard ever asked to be part of that gang. I think they wanted in on The Sweets and Slades of the word I.e just rock not heavy metal 

Well said, I don't think that anyone would ever think they are metal bands. Hard Rock sure, I think that they were just lumped in there because of the timeframe.

Joe Elliot & Phil Collen are glam band fans, listen to any interview they'll tell ya.

If I remember right, there was resentment towards DL around that time, mostly by the British press, that they had sold out. Claiming they changed their sound, so they could make it big in America (not so sure about that, I think that was going to happen anyway).

I also recall Saxon trying to change their sound around that timeframe to try & make it big here, but for some reason it didn't work.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived