Going To California Bootleg

Rainwater

To me the Going To California boot, or as some call it Going To California With Led Zeppelin, showcases Jimmy at his very best.  This show also shows how great the band's acoustic sets could be.  The best recording ever of That's The Way is on this show and Going To California is breath taking.

This is just my opinion.  What's yours?

1 hour ago, tmtomh said:

Are you referring to the 09 14 1971 Berkeley show? If so, it is indeed one of the best.

1 hour ago, tmtomh said:

Are you referring to the 09 14 1971 Berkeley show? If so, it is indeed one of the best.

Yes sir.  This is the show I am talking about.  I am going to push the envelope with you a little more - but I am not exaggerating or pulling your leg here - when I say that the show still makes me want to stand up and clap after all of these years.

One of the best shows to get but frustratingly it is incomplete. Cracking Whole Lotta Love. One of the first boots I ever heard and the Vinyl source is generally used. Pity the previous night is not in this quality as it as just as good but unlike the 14th it is complete

• 2 months later...
6 hours ago, dullarmor said:

I wouldn't say this recording captures Jimmy Page at his finest, but it features an excellent 'Going to California'. It's my favorite live version of that song.

FIFY. ;)

2 hours ago, Amstel said:

Is this show from the now defunct Swingin' Pig label?  I have one copy of this show, but not in SB form.

It's never been available in soundboard. Just the excellent incomplete audience tape...which was lost (thrown in the ocean) and all succeeding versions were sourced from available vinyl copies. The cleaner the better.

Edited by Strider

43 minutes ago, Strider said:

I have bought two versions in vinyl over the years. The first was the classic TMOQ in 1973.

R-7891016-1451053803-5101.jpeg.jpg

Then in 1982 I picked this Titanic Records version up in a shop in Killeen, Texas. 

R-3608665-1426156901-4226.jpeg.jpg

R-3608665-1426156902-4009.jpeg.jpg

Somehow a bootleg doesn't look right pressed on black vinyl, nor in a picture sleeve. Give me a coloured vinyl rubber stamped pastel sleeve TMQ any day.  I've had many black wax boots but the TMQs have a magic other boots don't have.  Walking down the road with a TMQ under the arm, those were the days....

23 minutes ago, JTM said:

Somehow a bootleg doesn't look right pressed on black vinyl, nor in a picture sleeve. Give me a coloured vinyl rubber stamped pastel sleeve TMQ any day.  I've had many black wax boots but the TMQs have a magic other boots don't have.  Walking down the road with a TMQ under the arm, those were the days....

Bootleg snob. :P

• 4 years later...
8 hours ago, Carl Spackler said:

Do you notice any sound quality differences between the two versions? Cheers!

Yes. The TMQ sounded better and closer to the source, whereas the Titanic sounded like a copy of a copy.