Zep live at Chicago Stadium '73

porgie66

These are pics that I hold the negatives for from the Chicago Stadium shows on July 6 and 7 1973. I don't remember the name of the guy that gave them to me but he handed me an envelope with the developed prints and negatives sometime around 1983. He knew I was a Zep nut and he said " you can have these". I don't think he actually took them because he would have been too young at the time of the concert , as he was about my age. Maybe an older family member or friend of his took them. Lost in the mists of time. These shows were notorious for being wild, especially July 6 ( rowdy ass crowd)  and Plant's voice was shot, due to a cold, (sick again! ). But the band play great , especially on July 7 IMO. I'm not sure which photos are from July 6 or 7. I have several more but these are the best/clearest of the bunch.

Hard to believe only 10 years had passed from the concert date to when I received them. It felt like so long ago because I longed to see Zep live and my first opportunity was the Stadium shows planned for Nov 1980. Nowadays, 7 or ten years feels like nothing, time sure flies as you get older! Anyway,  hope you all enjoy seeing some previously unseen photos.

Zeppelin -Chicago Stadium '73.jpg

Zeppelin -Chicago Stadium '73 001.jpg

Zeppelin -Chicago Stadium '73 002.jpg

Zeppelin -Chicago Stadium '73 003.jpg

Zeppelin -Chicago Stadium '73 004.jpg

Zeppelin -Chicago Stadium '73 005.jpg

Zeppelin -Chicago Stadium '73 006.jpg

Zeppelin -Chicago Stadium '73 007.jpg

.....Thank you, each and every discovery leads to endless journey with "LZ", Thanks to "Someone"  for this beautiful Glimpse of "Jimmy" especially for me, for he is too beautiful each and every time, this whole world is beautiful with his charm!!

The stage looks rather small.  I know the venue is not,  but maybe it looks the way because the photos are
taken at close range.   Anyhow very cool!!   Thank you porgie66 for uploading!! Nice indeed!! :D 

4 hours ago, PlanetPage said:

.....Thank you, each and every discovery leads to endless journey with "LZ", Thanks to "Someone"  for this beautiful Glimpse of "Jimmy" especially for me, for he is too beautiful each and every time, this whole world is beautiful with his charm!!

PlanetPage  all I can say back to your comment regarding Jimmy is

Le...sigh  :wub: 

Good thing my spouse is a fan!! Ha :lol:

What is that large silver circular object above Bonhams drums ?   Some sort of spinning lights ?   Some shows from '73 have that but some shows and the MSG movie I don't remember seeing it.

There is another picture like this but zoomed out and have a wider angle and can see the large Silver object and those smaller hanging fish bowl lights above Bonhams head

1401x788-77362443-1.jpg

3 hours ago, TheGreatOne said:

What is that large silver circular object above Bonhams drums ?   Some sort of spinning lights ?   Some shows from '73 have that but some shows and the MSG movie I don't remember seeing it.

There is another picture like this but zoomed out and have a wider angle and can see the large Silver object and those smaller hanging fish bowl lights above Bonhams head

1401x788-77362443-1.jpg

It is visible in The Song Remains The Same - you can see it spinning with colored lights up in the same location as these pics. 

Upon closer inspection, I realize for the first time after all these years that the pics with Page in white pants and Bonzo with the red rhinestone shirt are not from Chicago. Other pics from Chicago show Bonzo wearing the black t-shirt and a bandana, not red. The pics with Jimmy in black match in terms of the clothes and the visible columns from the Chicago Stadium but I am sure based on other photos from July 10 73 in Detroit that the pics with Jimmy in white pants and Bonzo in the red t-shirt are from that show.  Also there is a cinder block wall behind the stage in those pics which is not the Chicago Stadium.  The person who took these obviously was at both Chicago and Milwaukee. The mods should place those pics with the July 10 73 Detroit show.

23 minutes ago, sam_webmaster said:

That's correct... the 'white pants' photos are Milwaukee, July 10th.

The other Chicago pics  are from July 6th.

Thank you. I don't know why I said Detroit...I meant Milwaukee.

Can a mod or someone who is certain comment on this question?  I thought these photos would be from July 7 not the 6th as I thought Bonzo was seen wearing the black shirt and black bandana on some pics from the 6th on the Zep timeline. Now however I see that there are a mix of the two different nights found on both dates in the timeline. Which is which? You can clearly see Chicago police officers in front of the stage the night Bonzo is wearing black and Jimmy has the white pants. Would that be the second night then since things were so violent the night before? Or would that be the first crazy night?

• Administrators
28 minutes ago, porgie66 said:

Can a mod or someone who is certain comment on this question?  I thought these photos would be from July 7 not the 6th as I thought Bonzo was seen wearing the black shirt and black bandana on some pics from the 6th on the Zep timeline. Now however I see that there are a mix of the two different nights found on both dates in the timeline. Which is which? You can clearly see Chicago police officers in front of the stage the night Bonzo is wearing black and Jimmy has the white pants. Would that be the second night then since things were so violent the night before? Or would that be the first crazy night?

Here are examples of  July 7th:

chicago73_cd3.jpg

chicago7-6-73f.jpg

chicago7-6-73d.jpg

chicago7-6-73c.jpg

chicago73_JWilliamson.jpg

For comparison, there are a few other pics from the first night,  July 6th, on Getty images from Laurence Ratner:

robert-plant-john-bonham-and-jimmy-page-of-led-zeppelin-picture-id134372531.jpg

Led Zeppelin in Concert at Chicago Stadium - 7-6-1973
Credit: Laurance Ratner / Contributor
Editorial #: 134365620
Collection: WireImage
Jimmy Page and Robert Plant of Led Zeppelin during Led Zeppelin in Concert at Chicago Stadium - 7-6-1973 at Chicago Stadium in Chicago, Illinois, United States. (Photo by Laurance Ratner/WireImage)

http://media.gettyimages.com/photos/robert-plant-john-bonham-and-jimmy-page-of-led-zeppelin-picture-id134372531

---

and the photo in the review of the first night  (July 6)

chicago_7-6-73_review.jpg

Thanks for clarifying. Aha, OK. Well it appears the Chicago cops were brought in the second night to "serve and protect" in front of the stage. There are some pics that are mixed up on the timeline photos.

After reading Camille Davis Russo's story I thought maybe the white satin was worn on the first night because she describes Jimmy as wearing it when she met them at the party after the gig on July 6 at the Court of The Golden Hand. 

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, I first laid eyes on Jimmy Page in the early hours of July 7th... with the white satin outfit on. He had just finished his Friday, July 6th, 1973 concert at the Chicago Stadium. Have not yet seen your photos!! Looking forward to them!! I was invited to the concert the following night, July 7th, 1973, a Saturday. I don't remember what Jimmy wore!!

11 hours ago, Camille Davis Russo said:

Yes, I first laid eyes on Jimmy Page in the early hours of July 7th... with the white satin outfit on. He had just finished his Friday, July 6th, 1973 concert at the Chicago Stadium. Have not yet seen your photos!! Looking forward to them!! I was invited to the concert the following night, July 7th, 1973, a Saturday. I don't remember what Jimmy wore!!

Thanks for your reply!  My photos are at the start of this thread and I added two more later. One of the mods posted some examples of the other night which he seems certain are from the 7th based on the photographer Laurance Ratner's dating. I know it was over 40 years ago but it seems that the memory of that experience is indelibly etched in your mind so -  do you recall if Bonzo had the black spider shirt and bandana when you were there? 

On August 16, 2016 at 1:16 AM, porgie66 said:

Anyone out there attend these shows? It would be very cool to hear some recollections of  Zep at the Madhouse on Madison. 

My Grandmother. She had taken her son (my at the time 13 year old Uncle) to these gigs. My Uncle George passed away in 1990 but remember one Christmas my cousin got TSRTS on VHS and we put it. It was quite a trip when Grandma said from across the room "George, didn't I take you to this concert"? I was like wait... Grandma, you saw Zeppelin?. She said it was very very loud and Jimmy Page looked so skinny. 

He went again during 77 and attended the gig where Page get's sick and they call it early. I remember talking to him about both shows & he said the 73 show was the best. Being his first concert & the other gig getting cut short. I miss him. So does Grandma, it was her only son. She's 90+ now & lives in Tucson. 

George Wadley BTW - if there's anybody from Oak Park HS from the 1970's on here. RIP 1960 - 1990. 

Archived