What Tour Would You Most Like To Be Released as a Box Set?

Bonzo_fan

On 17 augustus 2016 at 1:48 AM, schmoe said:

"IMHO the Japan ZEP multi's however lack Percy's vocals in all but the more silent sections. So that is quite an obstacle not easily cured with whatever technology (with the unlikely exception of course of Robert performing some post factum studio overdubsB)"

How can the vocal balance be off on a multi-track? Isn't the vocal a stand-alone track?

5 hours ago, greenman said:

That would be my feeling although perhaps there might have been some bleed?

If we assume that the 29/9/71 source is from the multitrack recording then I could see the issue being less Plants vocals and more the way the bass/drums. .Plant afterall is generally pretty clear even if he is low in the mix where as the bass and drums are clearly overloaded at points. That would seem to make more sense as well since at that point the Japanese recording enginers might not have expereinced a band was loud as Zep bass wise..

When exactly did the 29/9/71 souce first emerge? I know it dates back at least to the 80's as it was originally on vinyl but does it date back to the 70's? if it is from the multitrack perhaps it might represent a basic mix down that Page was given by the Japanese or made himself? that might explain the cuts a bit more.

In terms of whether its better than a basic SB I do think that even with its faults there are a terrific energy to the 29/9 recording that you don't get with any Zep SB's. Indeed I actually think part of why the show is so legendary is actually because of the pounding bass heavy mix giving it an energy that even most offical live releases(such as HTWWW) lack. Its more like the kind of thing a band like MC5 would have released.

thanks Greenman, i'm not a recording expert, but there is a general consensus that the 929 'stage' recording is a quick dub from the multi's.

As for its first appearance this was available in the early seventies . One of the more common versions was the notorious single 6 track album on The Amazing Kornyphone Records label "Cellarful of Noise" (released in 1975 according to Discogs). Notorious for running way too slow. On the  Kornyphone fan website there are some interesting comments on the what and whereabouts of the source tape. OG label released a much better representation on vinyl in 1974. So the 929 Osaka 71 show has been around for quite a while .

6 hours ago, duckman said:

thanks Greenman, i'm not a recording expert, but there is a general consensus that the 929 'stage' recording is a quick dub from the multi's.

As for its first appearance this was available in the early seventies . One of the more common versions was the notorious single 6 track album on The Amazing Kornyphone Records label "Cellarful of Noise" (released in 1975 according to Discogs). Notorious for running way too slow. On the  Kornyphone fan website there are some interesting comments on the what and whereabouts of the source tape. OG label released a much better representation on vinyl in 1974. So the 929 Osaka 71 show has been around for quite a while .

One of the first Vinyls I ever bought, To play it, I had to take the belt of my turn table and learn how to spin the platter at the right speed just to hear it.

The recording as it is wouldn't really be suitable for release but again I do think theres a certain appeal to that kind of recording that you don't get from something like HTWWW. For me a lot of the appeal of live Zep is exactly that there not your typical polished 70's jam band, theres a garage rockish ramshackle energy to them that I think is better suited to a more warts and all powerful recording.

Whatever imperfections, I grew very fond of the so called stage recording. The cuts in Black Dog, Dazed and WLL still drive me nuts (even with the AUD patches), but on the whole, 929 is my desert island performance.

For a commercial release a lot of the stage banter by Robert and Bonzo, Jonesy's false start for Dazed,  Friends, Smoke gets in you eyes,... all would end on the cutting room floor. A great pity if you ask me.

This is a really cool topic. My initial first thought reaction was Europe 73. The heaviest and tightest the band ever played.

Of late I've been busy going through EVERYTHING from 69.

I made my own boxed set of sorts from the Fillmore gigs from 69. January to October ,and the growth and cohesiveness are amazing but so much was left out because there are so few higher quality AUD sources.

A monster boxed set done by Jimmy Page from 1969 would be just as awesome as Europe 73 project.

The 73 Clubs from January have lots of  full or partial SBDs but Godfather did an amazing job with them already. Albeit right up to Plants Influenza on 1/30 the band was hot and I love the intimate settings.

Someone mentioned a Montreux Set from 70-72. I m pretty sure there are high quality tapes and perhaps boards and MT from those shows. It's probably the most feasible and would yield the best product.

But in the end I'm still holding out hope for Jimmy to give the deluxe treatment to the tapes from touring  with Robert in 95-96-98. They play every song you wish Zep had done live with variations and by 96 and especially 98 Jimmy was as good as he was in Zeps earlier years.

No Bonzo sucks but such a product would be unique and possibly even grow the fan base.

To dream....

• 1 month later...

Archived