It's not over 'til it's over....

JTM

In an interview in the latest MOJO magazine #275 October 2016, when asked if the release of TCBBCS (sorry Kiwi) is the end of restoring LZ's available catalogue Page says "I'm not sure, I have a few other ideas" he goes onto say "I'm really keen to revisit the stuff I did in The Yardbirds" mentioning the bands final sessions at CBS studios in NY in May 68 and the ill fated Anderson Theatre show of March 68. Page says " I've been working on that. I'm in touch with the guys in The Yardbirds  and I want to make sure the material comes out because those guys were so good and I really want that stuff to be out there so let's see"....

Do I hold my breath..........

26 minutes ago, JTM said:

In an interview in the latest MOJO magazine #275 October 2016, when asked if the release of TCBBCS (sorry Kiwi) is the end of restoring LZ's available catalogue Page says "I'm not sure, I have a few other ideas" he goes onto say "I'm really keen to revisit the stuff I did in The Yardbirds" mentioning the bands final sessions at CBS studios in NY in May 68 and the ill fated Anderson Theatre show of March 68. Page says " I've been working on that. I'm in touch with the guys in The Yardbirds  and I want to make sure the material comes out because those guys were so good and I really want that stuff to be out there so let's see"....

Keep breathing,  it's far more plausible than him returning to the stage with new music.

A properly restored  Live Yardbirds Featuring Jimmy Page  would be key.  The setlist is far better than 5 Live Yardbirds and includes killer versions of I'm a Man  and Mr.You're Better Man Than I

12 minutes ago, juxtiphi said:

Keep breathing,  it's far more plausible than him returning to the stage with new music.

A properly restored  Live Yardbirds Featuring Jimmy Page  would be key.  The setlist is far better than 5 Live Yardbirds and includes killer versions of I'm a Man  and Mr.You're Better Man Than I

Don't know about killer, they're alright...but those Cocktail noises have got to go...

10 hours ago, JTM said:

Don't hold your breath. Jimmy has tried to do something with that material for more than 16 years now, and I have posted about his intentions many times. What it has always come down to in the past is that Jimmy wants a producer's credit for the effort, and Dreja/McCarty are adamantly against Jimmy Page getting a producer's credit on any Yardbirds era material.

Jimmy has tried to do something with that material for more than 16 years now, and I have posted about his intentions many times. What it has always come down to in the past is that Jimmy wants a producer's credit for the effort, and Dreja/McCarty are adamantly against Jimmy Page getting a producer's credit on any Yardbirds era material.

Edited to add: On Feb 15, 1977 Epic Records destroyed the album masters, parts, and lacquers for 'Live Yardbirds Featuring Jimmy Page'. However, Jimmy acquired the performance master tapes in the 1980s.

On 8/20/2016 at 3:04 AM, SteveAJones said:

Don't hold your breath. Jimmy has tried to do something with that material for more than 16 years now, and I have posted about his intentions many times. What it has always come down to in the past is that Jimmy wants a producer's credit for the effort, and Dreja/McCarty are adamantly against Jimmy Page getting a producer's credit on any Yardbirds era material.

Jimmy has tried to do something with that material for more than 16 years now, and I have posted about his intentions many times. What it has always come down to in the past is that Jimmy wants a producer's credit for the effort, and Dreja/McCarty are adamantly against Jimmy Page getting a producer's credit on any Yardbirds era material.

Edited to add: On Feb 15, 1977 Epic Records destroyed the album masters, parts, and lacquers for 'Live Yardbirds Featuring Jimmy Page'. However, Jimmy acquired the performance master tapes in the 1980s.

Yes, I read your posts but as Page so recently spoke about revisiting Yardbirds material I thought it interesting enough to start a new thread. We all know he has a habit of throwing out "promises" maybe one day he'll come good on his "intentions"..........

On 8/19/2016 at 9:04 PM, SteveAJones said:

As of 3/31/2016 Sony does offer Epic E 30615  as available for limited distribution licensing.  Columbia SP P 13311 and MS-33068 are not.   Since 2012 SONY has received 4 inquiries with zero agreements issued- speculating that the inability to turn over master tapes for the required pre and post production for the work is the reason.

For matters of personal preference, in most instances I am a bigger fan of the YB performances. Hopeful that the 16+yrs quest works out. Minus the canned "parts" that were added. 

5 hours ago, TheGreatOne said:

>>  Jimmy Page says in the new issue of Mojo that he plans to re-release Yardbirds recordings

No shit Sherlock, so you didn't bother to read the first post then...

does anyone really need a review?

99.9% the review will be about the reviewers point of view, the presentation of the collateral and things of which the person knows not particularly the point of the music.

John Davis will have done absolutely everything to the point of exhaustion and personal sacrifice to get it as right as is humanly possible with the motive being the enduring enjoyment, not the nitpicking, of the play.   Are they available as boots? yes for the most part. Is the price more than for free? ...and you know it is.

Attitude of gratitude for this release... (too bad it doesn't have companion discs for outtakes :ph34r:)

37 minutes ago, Dallas Knebs said:

does anyone really need a review?

99.9% the review will be about the reviewers point of view, the presentation of the collateral and things of which the person knows not particularly the point of the music.

John Davis will have done absolutely everything to the point of exhaustion and personal sacrifice to get it as right as is humanly possible with the motive being the enduring enjoyment, not the nitpicking, of the play.   Are they available as boots? yes for the most part. Is the price more than for free? ...and you know it is.

Attitude of gratitude for this release... (too bad it doesn't have companion discs for outtakes :ph34r:)

This re-release is all well and good, but the unasked question for Jimmy thus far seems to be, "Is this to be the last official live Led Zeppelin release?"

He's already on record as having said the studio album re-release series with companion discs will stand as the last official studio Led Zeppelin release. Personally, I am still hoping he'll roll his sleeves up one more time and get an official Earls Court release done. I didn't expect it this year or even next, but he will need to start soon to have it in stores in early 2018. 

Agreed! I hope he reads this post and gives us an answer soon! Earl's Court would be a smash seller and a very appropriate choice. Were both nights that were filmed-May 24,25- recorded to multi track? Also, is there multi track audio for any 75 US shows or only soundboard feeds?  

I still think there is at least a chance there will be something mightier than an EC release. A representation of Zeppelin live throughout the 11 years. Maybe split up and spaced out, or maybe as a singe monster release.

I really think it's a possibility.

3 hours ago, rm2551 said:

I still think there is at least a chance there will be something mightier than an EC release. A representation of Zeppelin live throughout the 11 years. Maybe split up and spaced out, or maybe as a singe monster release.

^^^

That was essentially achieved with Led Zeppelin DVD (2003). I'd prefer an Earls Court release to a chronological live album because they were arguably at their artistic zenith in May 1975. The Earls Court shows weren't just among the band's best, they are some of the best live rock performances by anyone in history (opinion). 

23 minutes ago, SteveAJones said:

-their artistic zenith in May 1975. The Earls Court shows weren't just among the band's best, they are some of the best live rock performances by anyone in history (opinion). 

Fact.

Just looking ahead it would be convenient to have a listening event for an EC release at Olympia.London mirroring the one done in Paris. That went off really well.

Looking at the band's live performances I tend to see incredible enthusiasm and discovery up to a peak in '75 with varying decline thereafter.  I have always considered the enthusiasm to be the driver of focus and achievement for them... then the event became the event and implosion, understandably so.

Yardbirds are a bit niche appeal though aren't they? Inasmuch as anyone remembers them at all, it's for the Clapton/Beck eras. Post Beck, they are mildly interesting for nitpicky historians like me to trace the roots of the first Zep album (does Jimmy really want to draw attention to that again, after the D&C and STH business?), but that's about it. And having watched the video kindly posted above, I'm not sure I'd rush to buy it either, lol

Would be a shame if Jimmy spent his time doing this instead of, say, Earls Court, as mentioned above. That looks like the one the would get people enthused. It would be a very worthwhile project, especially if he has multitrack tape of all five nights, or at least of 23rd May, as well as the last two nights. An official EC release that just covered 24th and 25th would be less interesting I think.

On 24/08/2016 at 2:38 PM, SteveAJones said:

This re-release is all well and good, but the unasked question for Jimmy thus far seems to be, "Is this to be the last official live Led Zeppelin release?"

He's already on record as having said the studio album re-release series with companion discs will stand as the last official studio Led Zeppelin release. Personally, I am still hoping he'll roll his sleeves up one more time and get an official Earls Court release done. I didn't expect it this year or even next, but he will need to start soon to have it in stores in early 2018. 

On 25/08/2016 at 1:36 PM, SteveAJones said:

I'd prefer an Earls Court release to a chronological live album because they were arguably at their artistic zenith in May 1975. The Earls Court shows weren't just among the band's best, they are some of the best live rock performances by anyone in history (opinion). 

From your lips to Jimmy's ears (I hope).  I've been saying it here for a while now; Earl's Court is the only logical substantive thing left in the vaults worthy of a new and future release...

On 24/08/2016 at 10:22 PM, porgie66 said:

Agreed! I hope he reads this post and gives us an answer soon! Earl's Court would be a smash seller and a very appropriate choice. Were both nights that were filmed-May 24,25- recorded to multi track? Also, is there multi track audio for any 75 US shows or only soundboard feeds?  

All five nights were multi-tracked, but the tape cut out early on the first night, and Bonzo's kick drum wasn't recorded on the second night... other than that, you have complete multi-track recordings of those astounding shows... and in 24/96 clarity since 2002 when Kevin Shirley had them digitized.

If it was an EC release - of course i'd be ecstatic, and the first in line to grab it. And it would NO DOUBT be freakin EPIC. I'd still prefer something broader. something substantive for each period - yes, the DVD does a bit of that, but releasing specific tours (compilation/single show - whatever they decide) covering  1970 to 1980 could be a great release program. Staggered like the studio re-releases, and in the middle you'd get the monster EC release of course! Something Jimmy could then say - that's it, that's the vaults DONE.

Aaaaaah it's nice to dream...

:yes2:

It's been noted there were quite a bit of equipment issues, so anything is up in the air.   Robert's voice could be an issue too and he may not sign off on any of it.   Doesn't his voice start to degrade as each night and not as powerful towards end run of shows ?

1 hour ago, rm2551 said:

If it was an EC release - of course i'd be ecstatic, and the first in line to grab it. And it would NO DOUBT be freakin EPIC. I'd still prefer something broader. something substantive for each period - yes, the DVD does a bit of that, but releasing specific tours (compilation/single show - whatever they decide) covering  1970 to 1980 could be a great release program. Staggered like the studio re-releases, and in the middle you'd get the monster EC release of course! Something Jimmy could then say - that's it, that's the vaults DONE.

Aaaaaah it's nice to dream...

:yes2:

muahah, the vaults will never be fully empty.  He's got tons of tapes from his personal recorder with various jams.  There has gotta be a lot more Bron-Yr-Aur tapes and even Bombay sessions, they were there more than several days

On 8/27/2016 at 2:17 AM, TheGreatOne said:

Robert's voice could be an issue too and he may not sign off on any of it.   Doesn't his voice start to degrade as each night and not as powerful towards end run of shows ?

...for me I have always been unnerved by Plant's squalling and bawling all over some pretty amazing music, the BBC Sessions are chock full of this and what I would rate as barely guide vocal quality work by Plant. That does not however get in the way of delivering some authentic emotion and unique to him- spontenous singing and leadership. To be fair, pretty sure he would do it differently had he known the full naked scrutiny his effort would have to endure for the next 50yrs plus...

23 minutes ago, Dallas Knebs said:

...for me I have always been unnerved by Plant's squalling and bawling all over some pretty amazing music, the BBC Sessions are chock full of this and what I would rate as barely guide vocal quality work by Plant. That does not however get in the way of delivering some authentic emotion and unique to him- spontenous singing and leadership. To be fair, pretty sure he would do it differently had he known the full naked scrutiny his effort would have to endure for the next 50yrs plus...

I totally agree with this comment. Plant was very unique , with a great naturally powerful , emotive and distinctive voice and great stage presence.  Can't be Zep without him and I wouldn't want to hear anyone else in his place but , cripes , sometimes he is just painful to listen to.  Myee , myee, myee , myee!!!  Push, push, ah, ah, ah, ah, !!!     Before he lost his range in '72 he was a powerhouse - a true original as a rock vocalist , but he usually went to far with the 'squalling and bawling' as you put it... for my taste.  By '73 his vocal range was largely shot and it's understandable why he may not be so keen on laying bare his shortcomings on an official live release from 75-80.  I often wish I could isolate his vocal track and fade it down and just listen to the music. Case in point - the ending of Dazed when Jimmy wails over that groove - he always comes in scatting and shit , its a turd in the punchbowl moment for me! Like on HTWWW. Oww, oww, aiyee, aiyee .  :'(

3 hours ago, porgie66 said:

I totally agree with this comment. Plant was very unique , with a great naturally powerful , emotive and distinctive voice and great stage presence.  Can't be Zep without him and I wouldn't want to hear anyone else in his place but , cripes , sometimes he is just painful to listen to.  Myee , myee, myee , myee!!!  Push, push, ah, ah, ah, ah, !!!     Before he lost his range in '72 he was a powerhouse - a true original as a rock vocalist , but he usually went to far with the 'squalling and bawling' as you put it... for my taste.  By '73 his vocal range was largely shot and it's understandable why he may not be so keen on laying bare his shortcomings on an official live release from 75-80.  I often wish I could isolate his vocal track and fade it down and just listen to the music. Case in point - the ending of Dazed when Jimmy wails over that groove - he always comes in scatting and shit , its a turd in the punchbowl moment for me! Like on HTWWW. Oww, oww, aiyee, aiyee .  :'(

Yes, definitely. And in the EC D+C, he's going for notes he can't begin to hit; sounds like a dying pig when he does that, and it made him hoarse on STH.

Archived