It's not over 'til it's over....

JTM

I am not really expecting much, remember HTWWW with Page actually throwing in second guitars, radical EQ adjustments

(OK, sometimes needed, but really overdone on HTWWW), etc. As great as Jimmy's playing is on the EC shows, there are

definetly mistakes or suspicious ramblings at times, and of course these would be whitewashed by Page. But who knows,

maybe Jimmy got some remarks from the sometime sterility of HTWWW, and possibly he may have learned something,

and would use a lighter touch this time around. Actually I doubt it.

• 2 weeks later...

The market does seem to have shift towards larger releases this days like the recent Floyd boxsets plus you could argue Page has already put out the "standard! Led zeppelin live audio and video for the normal buyer with the DVD and HTWWW so perhaps might be willing to target something more at hardcore fans?

I would disagree with the negativity about Plants vocalising, I think his adding to stuff like the Dazed jam really added a lot.

6 hours ago, greenman said:

The market does seem to have shift towards larger releases this days like the recent Floyd boxsets plus you could argue Page has already put out the "standard! Led zeppelin live audio and video for the normal buyer with the DVD and HTWWW so perhaps might be willing to target something more at hardcore fans?

I would disagree with the negativity about Plants vocalising, I think his adding to stuff like the Dazed jam really added a lot.

Hardcore fans (as you call them) have the super deluxe box sets don't ya think.  I only bought one of them (LZ I) not because of the cost but the content,  more the lack of, 5.1 surround mixes for instance, in fact for me to have to lay out big money 5.1 would be essential...

20 hours ago, JTM said:

Hardcore fans (as you call them) have the super deluxe box sets don't ya think.  I only bought one of them (LZ I) not because of the cost but the content,  more the lack of, 5.1 surround mixes for instance, in fact for me to have to lay out big money 5.1 would be essential...

My brother was complaining the other day that it's ridiculous that nobody has brought out 5.1 headphones yet as there's obviously a market for them. I pointed out that most of us only have two ears.

I love stuff in 5:1, but really Zep live was never meant to be represented like that IMO, because as multi-dimensional as that format can be, it can give a very fake impression of how a show truly was. A partial example would be the Knebworth

stuff on the official live CD's, a notable part of Jimmy's playing is really goosed up. I totally understand fans who would

like the EC stuff in 5:1, or whatever, but I was irritated at quite a bit of the HTWWW concerts because Page with all

the whitewashing made Zep into something they really weren't. 5:1 is great, and it would likely be awesome, but to me

that would be maybe like Nirvana in 5:1, the music would essentially be made into something it isn't. No reason not to

do it, it's just in the end the 5:1 is creating again something which is not really honest live music.

3 hours ago, Mithril46 said:

I love stuff in 5:1, but really Zep live was never meant to be represented like that IMO, because as multi-dimensional as that format can be, it can give a very fake impression of how a show truly was. A partial example would be the Knebworth

stuff on the official live CD's, a notable part of Jimmy's playing is really goosed up. I totally understand fans who would

like the EC stuff in 5:1, or whatever, but I was irritated at quite a bit of the HTWWW concerts because Page with all

the whitewashing made Zep into something they really weren't. 5:1 is great, and it would likely be awesome, but to me

that would be maybe like Nirvana in 5:1, the music would essentially be made into something it isn't. No reason not to

do it, it's just in the end the 5:1 is creating again something which is not really honest live music.

I was thinking of 5.1 for the studio albums, the live DVD and HTWWW 5.1 tracks a waste of time, they don't work for me.

That I totally agree with, in the studio you are attempting to create the most imaginative and striking music which is

not really answerable to live playing, great examples Beatles and Floyd. And later tinkering(Zep) is fine as well, although

Jimmy PLEASE don't add in additional guitars or overdubs, now you are revising in a drastic way the original music.

5:1, from the original recordings, great.

Archived