BBC sessions deluxe out September 16!!!!

14 minutes ago, Sathington Willoughby said:

Is that the only 'new' material on there? <_<

No, Disc three is all previously unreleased officially.

Disc: 3

1. Communication Breakdown (23/3/69 Top Gear)
  2. What Is And What Should Never Be (22/6/69 Pop Sundae)
  3. Dazed And Confused (10/8/69 Playhouse Theatre)
  4. White Summer (10/8/69 Playhouse Theatre)
  5. What Is And What Should Never Be (1/4/71 Paris Theatre)
  6. Communication Breakdown (1/4/71 Paris Theatre)
  7. I Can't Quit You Baby (14/4/69 Rhythm & Blues Session)
  8. You Shook Me (14/4/69 Rhythm & Blues Session)
  9. Sunshine Woman (14/4/69 Rhythm & Blues Session)

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2016/jul/19/led-zeppelin-complete-bbc-sessions-compilation

Led Zeppelin to release expanded version of their BBC Sessions compilation

New edition includes a lost session featuring a song that has never featured on an official Zeppelin release

5120.jpg?w=620&q=55&auto=format&usm=12&f
Led Zeppelin … Box set bonanza. Photograph: Dick Barnatt/Redferns

Just when you thought your bank account and shelves were safe, Led Zeppelin have announced another mammoth deluxe reissue, following the complete remastering of their Atlantic Records catalogue over the last few years. This time it’s The Complete BBC Sessions, an upgrade on the BBC Sessions album released in 1997.

The unique selling point this time is a third disc, featuring eight previously unrecorded recordings, including a “lost session” the BBC had wiped from its archive – the version of that session comes from a fan’s radio recording.

That session includes one Zeppelin song unavailable in any form on any other release, Sunshine Woman (though, naturally, you can hear it in seconds if you search YouTube), which was recorded for Alexis Korner’s Rhythm and Blues programme on the BBC World Service on 19 March 1969.

All the sessions were recorded between 1969 and 1971, and feature songs dating up to the fourth Zeppelin album, including a version of Stairway to Heaven recorded on 1 April 1971.

Naturally, there is no ordinary edition of the set. The entry-level version is a 3CD or 5LP “deluxe edition”. Those willing to mortgage their houses or sell one of their children’s kidneys can go for the super deluxe box set, with both vinyl and CDs and the additional baubles – a book, a print, a download code.

The full CD tracklisting is:

Disc One

1. You Shook Me
2. I Can’t Quit You Baby
3. Communication Breakdown
4. Dazed and Confused
5. The Girl I Love She Got Long Black Wavy Hair
6. What Is and What Should Never Be
7. Communication Breakdown
8. Travelling Riverside Blues
9. Whole Lotta Love
10. Somethin’ Else
11. Communication Breakdown
12. I Can’t Quit You Baby
13. You Shook Me
14. How Many More Times
Stairway to Heaven: the story of a song and its legacy
Read more

Disc Two

1. Immigrant Song
2. Heartbreaker
3. Since I’ve Been Loving You
4. Black Dog
5. Dazed and Confused
6. Stairway to Heaven
7. Going to California
8. That’s the Way
9. Whole Lotta Love (Medley: Boogie Chillun/Fixin’ to Die/That’s Alright Mama/A Mess of Blues)
10. Thank You

Disc Three

1. Communication Breakdown*
2. What Is and What Should Never Be*
3. Dazed and Confused *
4. White Summer
5. What Is and What Should Never Be*
6. Communication Breakdown*
7. I Can’t Quit You Baby*
8. You Shook Me*
9. Sunshine Woman*

* previously unreleased

Great news - I've already pre-ordered the CD version at Amazon. 

Some things to be aware of, however:

1. New material all is grouped on CD 3 (and I guess LP 4) - that likely means the previously released tracks will not have their edits restored, for example probably still will be several minutes cut out of the 1971 Whole Lotta Love, and probably still will have that 10 seconds of "It's Your Thing" cut out of one of the 1969 versions of Communication Breakdown
  2. One web site says the three "lost songs," from '69, including Sunshine Woman, have been restored from the AM radio recording that circulates among collectors. In other words, these three tracks will be in mono, and the sound quality will be noticeably inferior to the other tracks (which is likely why they not only are on CD 3, but at the end of it).
  3. I am a little concerned that, so far, there's been no specific info about the remastering process. Are these new digital transfers from the original BBC tapes? Or are these new masterings from the raw 1997 digital files? Or are these merely tweaked/EQ'd versions of the previously mastered 1997 version?

Boy, am I glad I sold my Classic Records 4LP copy of BBC Session a few months ago for over £200.

However, I fear now my Dark Side inner capitalist will grow stronger... while my bank accounts grow weaker with all these temptive Super Deluxes...

Lesson? Marry up, folks - and divorce rich!

3 hours ago, JTM said:

You may think that I can't possibly agree.

That's ok, I am happy with the versions I have now. Unless the remastering process delivers a much greater listening experience I won't be buying.

BTW, I am Zeppelin addict. Their music is like heroin for me. In My Time Of listening, I have spent thousands on vinyl, silvers, and the official releases.  I just no longer feel the need to buy everything.

1 hour ago, The Only Way To Fly said:

Isn't this stuff most of us have already? I see nothing new here.

Well, we're finally  getting a proper, remastered release of 'White Summer'/'Black Mountain Side'... now we know the reason for it's (seemingly) inexplicable exclusion on the expanded Coda  deluxe edition last year.  And the new edition has been remastered by John Davis, so I'm betting it will sound significantly better than the original 1997 release.

Say what you want about Jimmy Page, but the old Magus can still surprise B).

Naturally I will be getting the Super Deluxe Box...if only to complete the set of SDBs I already bought last year. One more ain't gonna kill me.

But it sure would be nice if the April 1, 1971 show was issued unedited.

I won't be getting rid of my earlier BBC Sessions 3-cd edition, as it has the interviews on the third disc which won't be on this new release.

This is great news!!! For someone like me who never got into Zep until 1997 and doesn't own a bunch of bootlegs or original vinyl, this is fantastic. My first Zep vinyl started with the first set of Super Deluxe Boxsets. For me, the reissues gave me the chance to have all of Zep's music on 180g vinyl and in high quality digital format, as well as a few rare gems. My main wishlist for these gems was:

Jennings Farm Blues,

Sugar Mama,

Everybody Makes It Through (the darker/creepy version),

Friends (Bombay sessions), and

Sunshine Woman (I didn't think the BBC Session would be reissued).

With the exception of not getting Sunshine Woman on Coda like I had hoped, these Deluxe Boxset reissues delivered. Especially with other gems like St. Tristan's Sword, La La, Keys To The Highway, 10 Ribs & All, and different versions of Bring It On Home, When The Levee Breaks, and Since I've Been Loving You, etc. Sure some albums could have use songs that were more different that what they were from the originals. Considering tapes were stolen from Jimmy, I'm happy with what we got. Although I was disappointed that Roberts voice wasn't more clearer on In Through The Outdoor and that Stairway to Heaven didn't differ much from the original (although maybe that stupid lawsuit had something to do with that).

I'm even more happy that these BBC session are coming out. I really love the songs The Girl I Love, Something Else, and Sunshine Woman. They are some awesome non LP songs and some of those performances are superb. I just hope Sunshine Woman is a decent quality, although it has to be better than the bootleg version I have. My only other option was to buy a 1997 release unopened for $500-800 or $300-400 used copy. I refused to pay that much. 

Now, if Jimmy would only release How the West Was Won on vinyl and an official Royal Albert Hall 1970 release on vinyl, then I'd be very happy. I'd accept having the material from the DVD transcribed on vinyl, as long as I get C'mon Everybody and that version of Something Else. Along with We're Gonna Groove, those are some kick ass songs from that show.

John Davis seems like a real schmuck.   Why on God's green earth would they butcher the whole Paris show track list ?   I personally would never spend money where the track list ended up in the blender and the listing is not even correct order

Typical logic is if it ain't broke don't fix it, but they seem to have made things fucking worst by being lazy.  This is pure BS.  If Empress Valley can release 1 song on a CD, why is Jimmy and Davis lazy to not do the proper disc order.  Big friggin deal if only 2 songs are on 1 CD or what have you.  

I find this very insulting and slap in the face.  Their laziness and excuse is like last time, but fuck me in the goat ass If I'm going to cough up $200 for a botched up job

Edited by TheGreatOne

Meh, nothing really of note IMO and except for a cleaner version of WS/BMS & Sunshine Woman, what's the draw?

If Jimmy is just gonna retire and no longer create and perform, how about he spends his time wisely and put together a proper live release such as a best of Earls Court and a best of Europe 80'. Now that would be something, especially since Frankfurt in particular is a simply stunning show and if you tack on HB from Rotterdam & WLL from Berlin...holy shit! I just finished listening to Vienna and the WLL from that was goddamn impressive. When they pulled it together in 80' (most of the shows, not all unfortunately) they proved beyond doubt they could still bring it and bring it strong.

Other live releases would be better, but the guitar on disc two, should definitely sound thicker, so it should be a bit enhanced,

it can never really be to the point, where someone would say, Jimmy doesn't sound that good without that, so it should be done.

The bonus stuff is really good, finally that version of Dazed and confused is released, the low notes phrasing in the solo, is stunningly precise.

Great!!

9 hours ago, timothy5151 said:

This is great news!!! For someone like me who never got into Zep until 1997 and doesn't own a bunch of bootlegs or original vinyl, this is fantastic. My first Zep vinyl started with the first set of Super Deluxe Boxsets. For me, the reissues gave me the chance to have all of Zep's music on 180g vinyl and in high quality digital format, as well as a few rare gems.

This.

The remasters beginning in 2014 are what drew me back to Zeppelin, and thus having the option of the very best sounding editions of the albums on any format of my choice has been a blast.  It's fantastic that Jimmy is remastering/expanding BBC Sessions  and damn the critics; we finally get 'White Summer'/'Black Mountain Side' in a new remastered form, we finally get 'Sunshine Woman' - which I've never heard as yet - and it's all been given a new spit-and-polish by John Davis, whose work on the aforementioned remasters was nothing short of a revelation.

So count me in... with both feet.

13 hours ago, Wolfman said:

Rather Jimmy go on tour.

Between this specific release and tour - for sure, TOUR!! (although I am still excited and can't wait for this release)

If it was a choice between more releases and a tour - releases of '75 and '77 concerts, maybe some real gems that no soundboards exist for or the most amazeballs shows of specific tours that JP has in the vault, I'd take Zep releases. I'd pay damn good money to see Page if/when he does tour, but if a choice, releases!!!!!