BBC sessions deluxe out September 16!!!!

• Administrators

Video teaser: https://www.facebook.com/ledzeppelin/

The Complete BBC Sessions, an updated and newly remastered version with eight unreleased BBC recordings and including three rescued from a previously “lost” session from 1969, is coming on September 16. Pre-order your copy here: www.ledzeppelin.com

On 8/11/2016 at 6:48 AM, JTM said:

No, I don't get what you are getting at.....

The WLL edits being   "Truckin' Little Mama"  "For What it's Worth"  " Honey Bee"  "The Lemon Song" , therefore as these titles have been edited out of WLL no royalties are payable, if they had remained Page would have to cough up............Back to you...

Not only THAT but the solo to No Quarter from The Song Remains the Same and others from that release as well. So he edits his own music.

Ever think that the edits you mention above he couldn't get clearance from the publisher to put them out?

No you still don't get it.

Edited by sixpense
grammer

1 hour ago, sixpense said:

Not only THAT but the solo to No Quarter from The Song Remains the Same and others from that release as well. So he edits his own music.

Ever think that the edits you mention above he couldn't get clearance from the publisher to put them out?

No you still don't get it.

IIRC the edits on TSRTS are down to Kevin Shirley in an effort to match the audio release to the soundtrack of the video.

As for the edits I mentioned, I don't think it's anything to do with getting clearance from the publisher, like I said it's more about Page not wanting to pay or maybe it's even more simple than that, Page just does not like those parts of the medley enough to want to release them....

I will wait and see what everyone else thinks after the collection is released, namely the fact that the Paris show has me shouting "what where has that bit gone?".

I was hoping to read here that it would the whole show unedited, Bridget the midget and all....

for those in the UK-

Hear Led Zeppelin's previously unreleased Sunshine Woman

Next month sees the release of Led Zeppelin’s complete BBC sessions, and we’ve got this rarity from their 1969 ‘lost session’ for you

Thursday 25 August 2016  

“There’s no point pretending it wasn’t recorded off the radio,” Jimmy Page old Mojo of Sunshine Woman, the previously unreleased Led Zeppelin track we’re premiering today. And indeed there isn’t. This is very much the sound familiar to those who spent their evenings poised over the pause button, searching for a stable signal. It’s muddy, imprecise and a far cry from the sonic clarity one associates with Zeppelin. But, still, it’s an unreleased song, from a lost BBC session, previously available only on bootlegs.
Jimmy Page and Robert Plant: how we made Led Zeppelin III
Read more

This recording is one of the new tracks added to the remastered reissue of the band’s album of BBC session recordings, released on 16 September as The Complete BBC Sessions, in the usual array of formats (CD, vinyl, knobs-and-whistles-laden box). And it comes from a session recorded for Alexis Korner’s World Service show in March 1969. Sunshine Woman, Page told Mojo, “was basically made up on the spot. It was pretty brave, bearing in mind the circumstances. We played it as if we were in rehearsals, starting it around the riff and then working it out. It shows that we were evolving pretty quickly.”

The tape of that session disappeared, and so it has only existed as a poor-quality bootleg. This version, Page insists, is the best recording you will ever find of what might be the last previously unheard complete Zeppelin song to get an official release. Have a listen, and tell us what you think.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/musicblog/2016/aug/25/hear-led-zeppelins-unreleased-sunshine-woman-bbc-session

On 25/08/2016 at 11:48 AM, zeplz71 said:

Whatever happened to Jimmy Page the sonic perfectionist?  The sound quality on 'Sunshine Woman' is atrocious  for an official release, this is bootleg territory here, quality-wise... but I guess they needed something to hang the newly-remastered release on.

11 minutes ago, The Old Hermit said:

Whatever happened to Jimmy Page the sonic perfectionist?

just speaking for myself I have regarded the perfectionist aura as urban legend, a great deal of LZ material is sonically tragic or near tragic. To a fault, Page left it alone if he thought it sounded good at the time. LZ tracks are notoriously less processed and finished out than most of the era- which allowed the dynamics to keep the spotlight and that is what the band is about- the band dynamic.  24/96 reveals so much that it is to the point of distraction.  I admire and appreciate the commitment to not deviate from the source but... nvm.

on the subject of royalties- this a side topic to the point of securing copyright renewal

on the subject of different releases being compressed/chopped is urban legend as the technique primarily employed is block eq and parallel eq- an enormously effective go to method of restoration/remastering.  While technically a superior outcome, it leaves some of us with listening fatigue and a less pleasant experience.

I went back and listened to some original boots [1/4" TDK cassettes from the late 70s] of the BBC and I have to say they are slightly more pleasing to my ear than what I hear on the promos. Noticed that a LP from which the cassettes were made must have been missing some tracks and they were rearranged to better fit the 30mins a side. Seriously good boot. Didn't even have to hit the DBX A/B button on the deck...

as a nostalgic moment I remember when KZPS 92.5 played this bootlegged version of D&C in 1982 just before midnight- I just could not believe it. We were in a parking lot on Greenville Ave and the entire parking lot was listening to it.  The power of music to unite was on full display.  Next night we caught TSRTS at midnight.  Dallas in the 80s... and Austin.

Yet I digress... am thankful for this release warts/bumps/winces and all. The joy that LZ music brings is it's own treasure regardless of the form.

• Administrators

Now available on Spotify:

A previously unreleased version of Sunshine Woman, recorded at Maida Vale Studio 4 in London on March 19, 1969 and taken from the upcoming Complete BBC Sessions, is now available to listen to on Spotify and other streaming services.

Guest Shenouda5252@gmail.com

So I just purchased Sunshine Woman from The Complete BBC Sessions on iTunes.

That quality ? 

I was expecting fairly decent quality not this sounds like it was recorded in 1919 BS. 

Is that really the best you could do Jimmy? 

Dissapointed. 

10 hours ago, Shenouda5252@gmail.com said:

So I just purchased Sunshine Woman from The Complete BBC Sessions on iTunes.

That quality ? 

I was expecting fairly decent quality not this sounds like it was recorded in 1919 BS. 

Is that really the best you could do Jimmy? 

Dissapointed. 

Probably is the best he could do, with such a mediocre source. Sounds much better than the boots, imo.

At the moment the SD version of the BBC is on Amazon for $149.  A bit steep for me, but will go for it, if I have to!  I have the entire SDs of the studios, so I guess I can't hold back on this release, even though I have the entire BBC in very good quality.  JP's is edited but will be better quality but really want this for the vinyl, book and overall package and just to complete my collection of these SDs!

Has anyone pre-ordered the SD version for under $149 outside of Amazon and/or was the price lower there originally?  I thing the initial may have been $179 a few weeks ago!

I'm curios, what others are paying and hope to get a better price on this set!   Time wise it's probably longer than Coda and PG as that's my guess and hence the price for the SD!

Edited by SuperDave

23 hours ago, SuperDave said:

At the moment the SD version of the BBC is on Amazon for $149.  A bit steep for me, but will go for it, if I have to!  I have the entire SDs of the studios, so I guess I can't hold back on this release, even though I have the entire BBC in very good quality.  JP's is edited but will be better quality but really want this for the vinyl, book and overall package and just to complete my collection of these SDs!

Has anyone pre-ordered the SD version for under $149 outside of Amazon and/or was the price lower there originally?  I thing the initial may have been $179 a few weeks ago!

I'm curios, what others are paying and hope to get a better price on this set!   Time wise it's probably longer than Coda and PG as that's my guess and hence the price for the SD!

I ordered it in July for $175.88 CAD ($202.26 tax inc.) with Amazon.ca

Edited by timothy5151

On 8/28/2016 at 0:31 AM, SuperDave said:

I pre-ordered from Amazon.  Then there's this...

https://www.importcds.com/the-complete-bbc-sessions/081227943882

2 hours ago, stony said:

hi  I assume that import cds price is US funds

I calculated my order there as $147.55 with shipping (I wasn't given an option for shipping internationally). Since it is an American company, the price in American dollars unless otherwise stated. My Amex card converts to CAD later at a better rate (I save a few cents). That brings the total to $193.17 CAD.... so not much difference. The shipping option with  Import CD is DHL/Fedex which leave your packages on your door step. Sometimes they notify you and sometimes they don't and sometimes  they leave it on the door step when you're home but still say there was no answer. The free Amazon.ca shipping option uses Canada Post which holds my parcels for pickup for 7 days. 

hi    thanks I ordered the super deluxe as I wanted the book etc, since I have the super deluxe for the rest of the catalogue I figured why not, its now $249 from amazon ca  missed the $175 price, maybe it will come down by release date

Regarding the new official version of “Sunshine Woman” and that annoying glitch at 0:55…

Warner clearly didn’t use the best available source.

Here is a little investigation conducted over the last few days to support that statement…

The sources 

First of all, let’s present the four different versions that were used for this investigation:

Version A 
This version was taken from a 2006 Empress Valley release called Led Zeppelin – The Complete British Broadcasting Corporation Radio Sessions; probably zero mastering effort on this version; a lot of noise above 7k; sounds 100% like a flat transfer; this version does NOT have the glitch around 0:55. Empress Valley claim that they obtained this transfer from an “aircheck master” that was taped from a shortwave broadcast. That claim sounds perfectly plausible. This is a full-length version of the song and, as with every other version here, there is practically no music above 7k due to the limits of the technology used for the original broadcast.

Version B 
This version was found on YouTube at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWEqOtYQyUQ. It was originally uploaded on June 1, 2010. This version shares the same analogue-to-digital transfer as Version A, as they both stay perfectly synchronized until the end when played simultaneously in a digital multitrack session; EQ has been drastically modified (for the better), with the huge amount of noise above 7k totally removed; however, a continuous and constant interference noise located around 11.1k makes its appearance on this version. Wisely, a little more than one second of silence (with tape hiss) has been edited out from the very beginning of the digital track. The dynamic range value is the same for both versions (DR 8) with only a slight variation of 0.03—let's say untouched. The glitch IS THERE at 0:55, and the end of the song has been abruptly chopped off without any fadeout! Therefore, approximately 1.5 seconds of music is missing, mainly harmonica and drums. Overall, this version sounds better than Version A, thanks to the EQ. In fact, I strongly believe that this version (Version B) is nothing more than a tweaked version of Version A.

Version C 
This version is the new 2016 official release from Warner. It sounds exactly like Version B: very similar EQ choices (almost untouched); same analogue-to-digital transfer as Version A and Version B; no significant change in the DR value—and yes, the audible glitch IS THERE at the very beginning of 0:55. As with Version B, the last 1.5 seconds of music at the end is missing, but Warner has applied what I would call “a not very smooth fade-out” to hide the abrupt ending heard in Version B. The continuous interference located around 11.1k in Version B is still there, but to be honest, it is present at a very low volume, and is totally inaudible unless you isolate the frequencies. But because it was a crucial element in demonstrating the connection between Version C and Version B, it has its importance in this investigation. 

Version D
A brand new mastering that I made myself, using Version A as a master and Version B as a direct reference. The result? I was able to recreate a version that sounds exactly like Version B and Version C, but without the annoying glitch at 0:55; without losing the last 1.5 seconds of music; and without having to apply an unorthodox fade-out to hide the abrupt cut, as Warner had to do on the new release. No interference has been introduced at 11.1k, and it took me 10 minutes to complete the entire process.

The mastering

Here are the EQ changes that need to be applied to the Empress Valley version (Version A) to achieve the sound of Version B and Version C:

Screen_Shot_2016_08_26_at_6_43_52_PM.png

Conclusion

It is now clear to me that the new official version from Warner (Version C) was created from a previously altered source that was encoded at least six years ago (Version B): a source that is nothing more than a tweaked version of the same analogue-to-digital transfer used by Empress Valley four years earlier in 2006, but with the addition of an unwanted and audible glitch at 0:55, and that is missing 1.5 seconds of music at the end of the recording. 

Unanswered questions

Does the CD version or lossless file that was used to encode Version B contain the same glitch at 0:55, or is it “exclusive” to this specific YouTube upload? The glitch is somehow reminiscent of the sound that results from a digital error generated when something goes wrong in the encoding process of an MP3. I don't want to say that MP3 encoding is definitely the source of the glitch, but that’s what it sounds like to me.

And what about the 1.5 seconds of music missing at the end? Is this edited ending present anywhere else than on the 2010 YouTube version or on the new official release?

As a fan and as a customer who pre-ordered the new release, I would be very disappointed to learn that the official product was sourced directly from a 2010 YouTube upload, while at the same time, an unaltered, undamaged version of the same digital transfer (Empress Valley) was very easy to find (and it still is) in lossless format on the internet. Sadly, once you’ve heard the glitch or the comparison with the inappropriate fade-out, it’s like a curse... It will keep distracting you and it will tarnish the playback experience of the track.

I think that Warner should act immediately and at least replace the file for the official online distribution of the new BBC Sessions release. It would be a very easy thing to do, and honestly, I think it has to be done.

This song might be the last original creation from Led Zeppelin’s catalogue to see an official release; it is therefore of historical value and does not deserve a defective production.

SM

...so what I hear you saying is "what a great song" and "it's fantastic that it is on an official release"

If the purpose of LZ music was to rise above critical pressures, it would not. 

Rather, the band created demand unprecedented during a time of enormous competition [allegedly]  I rarely listen to studio LPs, "glitches" and "sonic imperfections" prevent my enjoyment and pleasure not one iota.

Warner had zero input regarding content.

3 hours ago, Succubus Mythgem said:
Regarding the new official version of “Sunshine Woman” and that annoying glitch at 0:55…

Warner clearly didn’t use the best available source.

Here is a little investigation conducted over the last few days to support that statement…

The sources 

First of all, let’s present the four different versions that were used for this investigation:

Version A 
This version was taken from a 2006 Empress Valley release called Led Zeppelin – The Complete British Broadcasting Corporation Radio Sessions; probably zero mastering effort on this version; a lot of noise above 7k; sounds 100% like a flat transfer; this version does NOT have the glitch around 0:55. Empress Valley claim that they obtained this transfer from an “aircheck master” that was taped from a shortwave broadcast. That claim sounds perfectly plausible. This is a full-length version of the song and, as with every other version here, there is practically no music above 7k due to the limits of the technology used for the original broadcast.

Version B 
This version was found on YouTube at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWEqOtYQyUQ. It was originally uploaded on June 1, 2010. This version shares the same analogue-to-digital transfer as Version A, as they both stay perfectly synchronized until the end when played simultaneously in a digital multitrack session; EQ has been drastically modified (for the better), with the huge amount of noise above 7k totally removed; however, a continuous and constant interference noise located around 11.1k makes its appearance on this version. Wisely, a little more than one second of silence (with tape hiss) has been edited out from the very beginning of the digital track. The dynamic range value is the same for both versions (DR 8) with only a slight variation of 0.03—let's say untouched. The glitch IS THERE at 0:55, and the end of the song has been abruptly chopped off without any fadeout! Therefore, approximately 1.5 seconds of music is missing, mainly harmonica and drums. Overall, this version sounds better than Version A, thanks to the EQ. In fact, I strongly believe that this version (Version B) is nothing more than a tweaked version of Version A.

Version C 
This version is the new 2016 official release from Warner. It sounds exactly like Version B: very similar EQ choices (almost untouched); same analogue-to-digital transfer as Version A and Version B; no significant change in the DR value—and yes, the audible glitch IS THERE at the very beginning of 0:55. As with Version B, the last 1.5 seconds of music at the end is missing, but Warner has applied what I would call “a not very smooth fade-out” to hide the abrupt ending heard in Version B. The continuous interference located around 11.1k in Version B is still there, but to be honest, it is present at a very low volume, and is totally inaudible unless you isolate the frequencies. But because it was a crucial element in demonstrating the connection between Version C and Version B, it has its importance in this investigation. 

Version D
A brand new mastering that I made myself, using Version A as a master and Version B as a direct reference. The result? I was able to recreate a version that sounds exactly like Version B and Version C, but without the annoying glitch at 0:55; without losing the last 1.5 seconds of music; and without having to apply an unorthodox fade-out to hide the abrupt cut, as Warner had to do on the new release. No interference has been introduced at 11.1k, and it took me 10 minutes to complete the entire process.

The mastering

Here are the EQ changes that need to be applied to the Empress Valley version (Version A) to achieve the sound of Version B and Version C:

Screen_Shot_2016_08_26_at_6_43_52_PM.png

Conclusion

It is now clear to me that the new official version from Warner (Version C) was created from a previously altered source that was encoded at least six years ago (Version B): a source that is nothing more than a tweaked version of the same analogue-to-digital transfer used by Empress Valley four years earlier in 2006, but with the addition of an unwanted and audible glitch at 0:55, and that is missing 1.5 seconds of music at the end of the recording. 

Unanswered questions

Does the CD version or lossless file that was used to encode Version B contain the same glitch at 0:55, or is it “exclusive” to this specific YouTube upload? The glitch is somehow reminiscent of the sound that results from a digital error generated when something goes wrong in the encoding process of an MP3. I don't want to say that MP3 encoding is definitely the source of the glitch, but that’s what it sounds like to me.

And what about the 1.5 seconds of music missing at the end? Is this edited ending present anywhere else than on the 2010 YouTube version or on the new official release?

As a fan and as a customer who pre-ordered the new release, I would be very disappointed to learn that the official product was sourced directly from a 2010 YouTube upload, while at the same time, an unaltered, undamaged version of the same digital transfer (Empress Valley) was very easy to find (and it still is) in lossless format on the internet. Sadly, once you’ve heard the glitch or the comparison with the inappropriate fade-out, it’s like a curse... It will keep distracting you and it will tarnish the playback experience of the track.

I think that Warner should act immediately and at least replace the file for the official online distribution of the new BBC Sessions release. It would be a very easy thing to do, and honestly, I think it has to be done.

This song might be the last original creation from Led Zeppelin’s catalogue to see an official release; it is therefore of historical value and does not deserve a defective production.

SM

Thanks for the analysis. It's a shame if the best version wasn't used for the official release.