Too Many Houses Of The Holy Are Gone

Rainwater

Unfortunately, I was born a little too late to see Led Zeppelin live or even to be a fan during their career.  My yob is 1967 and I was 9 years old the last time Zep played my city of Atlanta on April 23, 1977. 

If I couldn't see them live I have always felt that one of the legacies of Led Zeppelin that we still have left is the houses of the holy.  It is beyond depressing and has almost brought me to tears a few times that so many of the houses of the holy have been torn down.  I have been in three of the houses of the holy for other concerts and events and I would always thing while in those venues that, "Once upon a time Led Zeppelin played here and there was a crowd in this building waiting for them." 

I always listened hard, while in these venues, and hoped that I could hear Led Zeppelin play through the years but I never was able to. 

Of the three houses of the holy that I have visited only one still stands and that venue has undergone drastic renovations and even a name change.

Am I the only one that feels this way?

Thank you all.

On 04/09/2016 at 6:54 PM, Matthew said:

I know what you mean. I was born in 2000 and have just really gotten into Zeppelin the past couple years and it sucks knowing I'll more than likely never see the remaining members play together live except through a video. Sad.

exact same year and same deal with me, would give anything to see them live but realistically I think that the 2007 02 Arena gig is the last ever gig with Page, Jones and Plant. Still would love to go to some different venues that they played back in the day to get a sense of how big they were throughout their career

I feel your pain mate. I was born in '74. I got into Zep when I was about 13. I finally got to see my idol, Jimmy Page, on the Page and Plant tour of 1998 in Manchester, England. I couldn't wait!

I had shite seats and the acoustics at the venue were terrible. I felt empty and angry when I left the venue. Wasted opportunity.   

JP's playing was lost in the echo

4 hours ago, Xolo1974 said:

I feel your pain mate. I was born in '74. I got into Zep when I was about 13. I finally got to see my idol, Jimmy Page, on the Page and Plant tour of 1998 in Manchester, England. I couldn't wait!

I had shite seats and the acoustics at the venue were terrible. I felt empty and angry when I left the venue. Wasted opportunity.   

JP's playing was lost in the echo

Nest time you go to a gig take some earplugs. If the acoustics are shit and there's loads of echo put them in and they should cut the reflections and harshness down considerably. A bit late for the Page and Plant gig I know.

Yeah Zep was match-fit for large arenas, never saw them(too young, 12, 13) I guess everyone knows that Plant  actually

called the huge venues "THe Houses of The Holy". If you weren't around in the 70's, you probably didn't know that back

then rock was almost a religion. And Zep, although obviously hugely successful, was really somewhat of a underground 

band, although by the time ITTOD came out, they were too huge to ignore. And the whole big arenas thing, As a teen

there were many times I got stoned, put on whatever Zep boots were available( not many) closed my eyes and imagined

Zep playing in a large arena, the Greek Gods of rock trying hard to create some supercharged cosmic drama. Unfortunatly

many of these "Houses" are going down, even big artists can only play 3000-5000 seat venues. But despite no Zep in

the 80's, I saw many other great artists in those venues. Fans who just know groups by studio output, often cannot imagine how powerful bands like Zep, VH, Mettallica can be in the indoor large venues. Luckily I live not far from MSG, that

fu....ker is never going down.

Archived