Jason Discusses the 02 Gig and Drumming

Charles J. White

9 hours ago, Thomasw536 said:

Kinda sad watching this as Jason has been living in the past for so long now.  Gotta be tough being Bonzo's son in some ways, but come on, do your own thing!

Maybe doing what he is doing is doing his own thing. It doesn't strike me in any way as sad. His Dad was a legend. He is happy to be a drummer and to immerse in Zeppelin. Sounds legit to me.

16 hours ago, bluecongo said:

Sad?  Jason's jamming with Sammy Hagar this past weekend at Red Rocks.  What did you do?

I saw the show in Chicago on Friday.  Damn, Jason is the man.  I've seen a lot of great drummers in my life, and I can say with all sincerity that Jason Bonham is one bad mutha on drums.  He is a bad mammy jammy...

Seeing Jason playing Moby Dick in front of a screen showing footage of his dad does evoke some pathos. It would be like Ravi Coltrane or TS Monk playing tribute gigs in front of video of their dads. I dunno, it's not anything I'd want to see more than once. Nostalgia is bittersweet and it contains pain rooted in what can never be again, hence that sad feeling Thomasw536 noted.  It's also a valuable commodity in this case.   Hopefully Jason will focus on original music like the project with Glenn Hughes in addition to the Zep experience stuff, otherwise it does seem kind of sad to be always in the shadow of your father, paying tribute. He's a good drummer, not great though and while I'm sure he is happy honoring his dads legacy and loves playing those tunes I'd rather just listen to the original article and hear him play other music...though most of what I've heard (Hagar , Bonamassa ) is underwhelming. Also, this video is some cornball shit with these guys,  but I guess it comes with the territory. I can't imagine Bonzo ever doing a video like this but then again times are so different now. It seems most artists have to do this check me out endorsement routine. Ludwig should make some $ off this deal though so....the wheel rolls on. 

Archived