The Wanton Song

rm2551

I think i've had one of those facepalm lightbulb moments. I always thought the solo in The Wanton Song was at least in part JPJ on organ/Synth. I just realised it's probably all guitar, but with a really great unique sound - like it is keyboards.

I'm feeling a bit nuffy. :blush:

Is there keyboards? Or is it all Jimmy???

2 hours ago, rm2551 said:

I think i've had one of those facepalm lightbulb moments. I always thought the solo in The Wanton Song was at least in part JPJ on organ/Synth. I just realised it's probably all guitar, but with a really great unique sound - like it is keyboards.

I'm feeling a bit nuffy. :blush:

Is there keyboards? Or is it all Jimmy???

Guitar with a Leslie effect............no keyboards.

• 2 months later...
On 9/8/2016 at 7:17 AM, reswati said:

Guitar with a Leslie effect............no keyboards.

The solo to Good Times Bad Times and Black Dog also have the Leslie speaker in action as well. 

Eric Clapton used this effect on the three studio tracks from the Cream Lp Goodbye as well as on Blind Faith.

16 hours ago, The Only Way To Fly said:

Me too, but much more fun to air guitar than, air keyboard. Now what about the solo in Going Mobile by The Who? 

Guitar fed through the filters of his synth. Jimmy did this as well for the solo in custard pie

2 hours ago, babysquid said:

Guitar fed through the filters of his synth. Jimmy did this as well for the solo in custard pie

Cool! It sounds like just a flat out heavy distorted guitar. I also think it's one of the best solo's ever. Nothing spesh, not over the top, long, complex, just epic for such a meaty pub-rock song. it's perfect.

Absolutely great solo, nowadays they actually have Leslie simulator guitar pedals for $220-$400, very close. Another great

example is Santana's Song of the Wind. Stumped me for a long time, as the Leslie is not 100% on as it sort of is with the

Page stuff.

On 12/3/2016 at 9:39 AM, sixpense said:

The solo to Good Times Bad Times and Black Dog also have the Leslie speaker in action as well. 

Eric Clapton used this effect on the three studio tracks from the Cream Lp Goodbye as well as on Blind Faith.

Achilles Last Stand too. Some of the overdub guitars.

11 hours ago, Stryder1978 said:

luvlz2,

Thanks for sharing that!  I hadn't seen that before - AWESOME!

Stupendous isn't it? The sound and the expressions on Jimmy Page's face while he's playing it. It brings a tear to my eye. That was a fateful night that it aired on television. I was supposed to have seen them that upcoming Friday in Las Vegas but unfortunately it never happened because of Jimmy's injury. Not sure I will ever get over it. Every time I watch it it brings back the memory. Incredible though!

18 hours ago, babysquid said:

I'm pretty sure this is the case. I didn't think it sounded like a Leslie 

Yeah I shouldn't have said a Leslie, it's definitely not a Leslie but it has that tremolo/vibrato effect like a Fender amp but a Phase 90 achieves the same kind of thing and he did use that a lot. I'm looking at this part, 1:58, that's where you're hearing a phase? Is there some cocked wah in there too or a filtering effect? Simple but fucking brilliant overdubs.

6 hours ago, FL6 said:

Yeah I shouldn't have said a Leslie, it's definitely not a Leslie but it has that tremolo/vibrato effect like a Fender amp but a Phase 90 achieves the same kind of thing and he did use that a lot. I'm looking at this part, 1:58, that's where you're hearing a phase? Is there some cocked wah in there too or a filtering effect? Simple but fucking brilliant overdubs.

Sounds more like natural phase from the harmonized guitars. I could be wrong. A phase 90 would be much more in your face than that.

Sounds more like natural phase from the harmonized guitars. I could be wrong. A phase 90 would be much more in your face than that.

Not a phase (or a flange, or a chorus) or a Leslie, just simple old-school tremolo - like Link Wray used in 'Rumble', and Billy Strange used on Nancy Sinatra's 'Bang Bang (my baby shot me down)'.

8 hours ago, woz70 said:

Not a phase (or a flange, or a chorus) or a Leslie, just simple old-school tremolo - like Link Wray used in 'Rumble', and Billy Strange used on Nancy Sinatra's 'Bang Bang (my baby shot me down)'.

Oh bloody hell I hear it now! I was concentrating on the wrong bit!

Oh bloody hell I hear it now! I was concentrating on the wrong bit!

It's not immediately apparent because he's got two guitars, harmonizing with each other, going through one tremolo.  Cool effect!

On 12/10/2016 at 5:01 AM, woz70 said:

Yeah that's what I was thinking! Down By The Seaside has it too...er I think.

On 12/10/2016 at 5:01 AM, woz70 said:

It's two guitars using a phaser pedal.  (and in other sections as well) Tremolo is a different sound. Down By the Seaside is tremolo.

Archived