Atlanta 1977 Show

Rainwater

I am an Atlanta guy and so maybe I am just a little biased.

I wish I could say that I saw this show but I was the ripe old age of 9 the last time Led Zeppelin graced my city.  When I would go to other concerts at the Omni I never forgot that Led Zeppelin played there and I always wished I had a time machine to go back in.

The Atlanta 1977 show:

Excellent show but, for the most part, horrible recording.  People complain about some of the problems of the 1977 tour but I am going to brag here and say that Led Zeppelin were at the top of their game, and maybe the top of this tour, on Saturday night Apr. 23, 1977, in Atlanta.

I wish the recording were better.  If this recording could be cleaned up I think this would be one of the greatest recordings of the 1977 tour.

Something that I don't understand, though, is that parts of the recording seem to be pretty decent.  The guy making the recording had to be messing with the tape somehow.

The closing with Trampled Under Foot was awesome.  That may well be the best live version of Trampled Under Foot ever recorded if not ever done.

I know a guy that is now 64 that was at this show and he tells his grandkids hot great it was!  Oh to go back in time and see this show...!!

8 hours ago, Rainwater said:

I am an Atlanta guy and so maybe I am just a little biased.

I wish I could say that I saw this show but I was the ripe old age of 9 the last time Led Zeppelin graced my city.  When I would go to other concerts at the Omni I never forgot that Led Zeppelin played there and I always wished I had a time machine to go back in.

The Atlanta 1977 show:

Excellent show but, for the most part, horrible recording.  People complain about some of the problems of the 1977 tour but I am going to brag here and say that Led Zeppelin were at the top of their game, and maybe the top of this tour, on Saturday night Apr. 23, 1977, in Atlanta.

I wish the recording were better.  If this recording could be cleaned up I think this would be one of the greatest recordings of the 1977 tour.

Something that I don't understand, though, is that parts of the recording seem to be pretty decent.  The guy making the recording had to be messing with the tape somehow.

The closing with Trampled Under Foot was awesome.  That may well be the best live version of Trampled Under Foot ever recorded if not ever done.

I know a guy that is now 64 that was at this show and he tells his grandkids hot great it was!  Oh to go back in time and see this show...!!

I was 3. So I can appreciate what you are saying. I listened to that show recently. It didn't sound as bad as it could. The 77 tour killed all the way around in my opinion. I have been searching all over the place for an Atlanta '77 tour poster.

• Administrators
29 minutes ago, ZosoAddict said:

I have been searching all over the place for an Atlanta '77 tour poster.

There was no tour poster for Atlanta.

You can read some comments from fans who attended the show  on the Timeline page: http://www.ledzeppelin.com/show/april-23-1977

2 hours ago, TheGreatOne said:

Took me a while to figure out what TU stands for.   I've noticed lot of areas where Under Foot is 2 words and others merge it into 1 word

The older I get, the more I have to look up all those damn abbreviations of Zep songs. I hate it.

• 2 months later...
On 9/13/2016 at 1:51 AM, Rainwater said:

On 9/13/2016 at 8:08 AM, Sticks of Fire said:

The story on the recording is that he kept the recorder under his seat.  So when he would pull it out to check it or flip the tapes the sound quality improves briefly.  

Correct, that is why the quality of the recording improves every so often. Too bad it's such a shitty sounding tape, there's a damned good performance under all that distortion, but, not unlike the April 10 Chicago show (another pretty bad recording) every time I want to listen to it, I can only get through about three songs before switching to something that sounds decent.

I am hoping a soundboard recording exists for Atlanta. 

• 3 years later...
On 9/13/2016 at 8:08 AM, Sticks of Fire said:

The story on the recording is that he kept the recorder under his seat.  So when he would pull it out to check it or flip the tapes the sound quality improves briefly.  

The taper of the Atlanta '77 actually posted in over at You Tube where the recording has been uploaded and basically said, "Yeah, I had the recorder on the floor, I was sixteen, young, dumb and high, whaddya want?"😆 

Edited by Nutrocker

On 5/27/2020 at 3:26 AM, Nutrocker said:

The taper of the Atlanta '77 actually posted in over at You Tube where the recording has been uploaded and basically said, "Yeah, I had the recorder on the floor, I was sixteen, young, dumb and high, whaddya want?"😆 

hey man I don't blame him. It's like the whole campaign against cell phones at concerts, you're supposed to enjoy the show while your there, not on a tiny screen 3 months later. At the very least, we have a tape from the show and we should be grateful for that.

Thanks for all the info on this you've been digging up, much appreciated :)