Robert Plant checks out iconic 1975 photo at Martha’s Vineyard gallery

sam_webmaster

• Administrators

Photographer Peter Simon was plenty surprised the other day when Robert Plant sauntered into his Martha’s Vineyard gallery.

1975-la-peter simon photo - with plant.jpg

Led Zeppelin singer Robert Plant checks out a picture Simon took of him in 1975

By Mark Shanahan | Globe Staff

The Led Zeppelin singer had been vacationing on the island and saw a copy of Simon’s book “Eye and I” on a coffee table in the house where he was staying. Perusing the collection of photos, Plant came upon one of Simon’s most iconic images: A picture of the Zeppelin singer on the balcony of a West Hollywood hotel in 1975, his fists clenched like a superhero as he admired a billboard on the Sunset Strip advertising Led Zeppelin’s new album, “Physical Graffiti.” (Just as he was taking the picture, Simon has said Plant shouted, “I am a golden god!” which was later immortalized in director Cameron Crowe’s film, “Almost Famous.”)

The picture of Plant at the Continental Hyatt House — dubbed the “Riot House” while Zeppelin and their denim-clad entourage were occupying the top floors — remains Simon’s best-selling photo. Plant, who turned 68 last month, lingered in the gallery for a while and then invited Simon to join him for lunch in Edgartown the next day. Plant was spotted on the island several times during his stay, but demurred when passersby asked for his photo.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/lifestyle/names/2016/09/13/martha-vineyard-has-whole-lotta-love-for-robert-plant/kN3c3dtYjHDyX3TOWdMQpO/story.html

Robert Plant is a fun guy with a wanderlust spirit. It is always a treat to read about his latest adventures.

If you go to the former Riot House on Sunset, now called the Andaz Hotel, you can see a giant print of this iconic photo by the elevators.

11 hours ago, MightyLedZeppelin said:

My Avatar pic of my two sons was taken by Peter Simon on Philbin Beach on the Vineyard in 2014.  My wife bought the photo of Robert for me as an early birthday gift.   Peter's sister is Carly Simon. Very nice sweet man. 

The Philbin Beach shot is equally great. Both pictures depict divine beings having a human experience.

We were vacationing on the Island and saw the Plant photo in the window of Peter Simon's Gallery.  We went in and got to talking to him about his trip to LA in March of 75.  Peter said he doesn't remember much from his time with the band other than Robert was very charming and engaging.   My wife said wouldn't it be cool to have the same man who photographed Zeppelin to photograph us?  So we hired Peter for an hour. 

On September 14, 2016 at 3:41 PM, MightyLedZeppelin said:

My Avatar pic of my two sons was taken by Peter Simon on Philbin Beach on the Vineyard in 2014.  My wife bought the photo of Robert for me as an early birthday gift.   Peter's sister is Carly Simon. Very nice sweet man. 

I love the story (and pic) of Robert seeing his Riot House photo, so iconic.  Thanks for posting, Sam!

And MLZ, such a cool story and avatar! :) 

This is obviously one of the most Iconic pictures of Mr. Plant.  Especially with the classic line of "I am a Golden God" uttered by Robert at around the time this picture was snapped. That along with the high of the lines of Cocaine Robert just did and that He was about to sing to 20,000+ at the Los Angeles Forum, makes this an even better picture (and story). 

By the way, did Mr. Plant purchase this Iconic photo of Him from the photographer? 

Archived