Top 10 Heaviest Led Zeppelin Songs of All Time

herseydenvar

Not a bad list, although nothing from ITTOD should be on it, IMO.  A glaring absence is Misty Mountain Hop.  A good example of how these kinds of lists can be misleading, to me the live version of NQ on Song Remains the Same is thoroughly heavy and doomy, yet by most conventional standards wouldn't be classified as such.  Just shows how hard Zep are to pigeon-hole.

I agree - a decent list, and perfectly reasonable given how subjective these things are and that it's limited to a Top 10.

However, I do agree that In My Time of Dying should be there.

And I am surprised that no one has mentioned Sick Again, which is just a snarling, super heavy assault (not to mention the live versions, which were even heavier).

My list , in chronological order.

Whole Lotta Love, Heartbreaker, Immigrant Song, Black Dog, Walters Walk. Custard Pie,  In My Time Of Dying, Kashmir, The Wanton Song, For Your Life.  ?

Bonhams two big floor tom bombs at the end of Custard Pie are perhaps his heaviest recorded fill. Devastating!

1 hour ago, tmtomh said:

I agree - a decent list, and perfectly reasonable given how subjective these things are and that it's limited to a Top 10.

However, I do agree that In My Time of Dying should be there.

And I am surprised that no one has mentioned Sick Again, which is just a snarling, super heavy assault (not to mention the live versions, which were even heavier).

I can only see the bottom 5... Can't see the second page.. Would someone mind listing their top 10?  Sick Again should definitely be in the top 10.. Here's mine... 

Black Dog

IMTOD

Sick Again

For Your Life

WLL

NFBM

The Wanton Song

Custard Pie

Trampled Underfoot

WTLB - ALS (tie)

I appreciate the lists but I think some fans are kind of mixing overall approach and attitude with actual musical heaviness.

However this is perfectly understandable, because there are hundreds of heavy rock/ hard rock/ thrash metal bands

which try as they may to create the biggest sonic assault  thru speed, tremendous distortion, tuning guitars lower to

deepen their sound, etc. Unfortunately very few of these bands have even a small fraction of Zep's authentic swaggering

and pulsing attitude. Imo that's why Sick Again and the other songs mentioned, you can't invent or fake the kind of

attitude Zep put out

Well there's a great example of musical heaviness and "heavy attitude". I agree that the Wanton song beats In The Evening

on both counts, but not by much. Page's immortal  whammy bar crash on ITE's solo is beyond asskicking, just like Page's

heavy riff and Bonham's bass drum and snapping snare drum in TWS have total attitude and pummeling heaviness.

HEaviest on each album:

How Many More Times -- top 10

Whole Lotta Love -- top 10

Immigrant Song -- top 10

Four Sticks -- top 10

No Quarter

Wanton Song -- top 10

Nobody's Fault But Mine -- top 10

in the Evening

Wearing And Tearing - top 10

Three to fill out the Top 10?  Lemon Song, Dazed and Confused (the heaviest vibe) and ... Out on the Tiles 

3 hours ago, rm2551 said:

Wearing and tearing is not getting much of a mention.

That surprises me a bit. I guess that's considered something akin to heavy, but not actually heavy?

Because it's not very heavy also not very good...

22 hours ago, JTM said:

Because it's not very heavy also not very good...

I am not a vengeful person but what you have recently posted on some of the other topics on this Awesome Forum rubs Me the wrong way.  I don't know you at all and you do not know Me and should not judge Me the way you have recently (and frankly I do not give a "F", )but I think that you are very misguided if you do not think that "Wearing and Tearing" is not heavy or very good.  Take another listen and tell Me and everyone else that this is not heavy or good:

14 hours ago, Sathington Willoughby said:

Live Dazed is obviously number 1 imo. Just listen to the Albert Hall version.

Just gave that a go on youtube. Been a while since I played through RAH DVD.

JEEEEEEEEEEEZ.

The thing I love MOST about Zep, They still surprise me and amaze the fck out of me with just how ridiculously good they were. Just unbeatable.

2 minutes ago, rm2551 said:

Just gave that a go on youtube. Been a while since I played through RAH DVD.

JEEEEEEEEEEEZ.

The thing I love MOST about Zep, They still surprise me and amaze the fck out of me with just how ridiculously good they were. Just unbeatable.

You said it man. Something about that version has always sounded so heavy to me. 

17 minutes ago, Sathington Willoughby said:

You said it man. Something about that version has always sounded so heavy to me. 

JPJ on the BASS. Some of the BEST footage of him IMO. Just a maniac that's completely absorbed in some of the greatest stuff ever captured on film.

I know I bang on with the superlatives, but it really IS that damn good. They will NEVER be beat.

5 hours ago, kingzoso said:

I am not a vengeful person but what you have recently posted on some of the other topics on this Awesome Forum rubs Me the wrong way.  I don't know you at all and you do not know Me and should not judge Me the way you have recently (and frankly I do not give a "F", )but I think that you are very misguided if you do not think that "Wearing and Tearing" is not heavy or very good.  Take another listen and tell Me and everyone else that this is not heavy or good:

It's not very good, it sounds like an unfinished demo.  I've never liked it, I hate the tinny sound and it's not heavy imo, and if my posts rub you up the wrong way that's your look out, I don't care. If you want to get into it in the nine years I have been on this forum you have been the most opinionated I'm right everyone else is wrong person here, enjoy your day.

Kind regards to you as BD would say.

Not going to get dirty with all that, but yes, JPJ playing on that D&C from RAH, heavy as can be. I guess since we are in

the "live" realm now, much of 4/27/69 is seriously heavy, arguably more so than even Sabbath. Although by 70' live

Zep had developed more dynamics, more variation, leaving the "metal" throne to Sabbath Surprised HMMT wasn't mentioned, the studio version is pretty heavy, usually live as well.

Nobody's Fault But Mine wouldn't even make my top 10.

So difficult to list, but I love them so I will just state #1 for me.   When the Levee Breaks.  The intro from drums to guitar and harmonica is simply unmatched.  To think it was produced in '71.  I can't even imagine what other musicians thought about their own mortality in the industry after hearing that song.  

Many suggest what LZ's secret weapon was.  Obviously they had so many talents and skills among them as a band.  To me, it is Pages production skills.  He was the magician behind the scene who you could tell had that stealth like focus and creativity to ensure every song was produced to its fullest potential. 

Archived