Top 10 Heaviest Led Zeppelin Songs of All Time

herseydenvar

Right, for probably the 10th millionth time , that intro cannot be verbally described, you feel it in your whole body. And

why doesn't Robert get credit as well, I may blaspheme, for totally ass-kicking harmonica, not heard at least in that way

by any other authentic blues man from the South. Certainly there are better harp players than Robert, but not for this

song.

The thing about production is basically true(Page gets final say), but actually as more Zep books have come out, Jimmy

was not a one man production machine, there was substantial responsibility and assistance from various other engineers

and mix down people( Eddie Kramer, Glyn Johns( or Andy), etc. But still the overall visionary, and the main reason 90%

of Zep still sounds timeless, and transparent.

1 hour ago, Mithril46 said:

Right, for probably the 10th millionth time , that intro cannot be verbally described, you feel it in your whole body. And

why doesn't Robert get credit as well, I may blaspheme, for totally ass-kicking harmonica, not heard at least in that way

by any other authentic blues man from the South. Certainly there are better harp players than Robert, but not for this

song.

The thing about production is basically true(Page gets final say), but actually as more Zep books have come out, Jimmy

was not a one man production machine, there was substantial responsibility and assistance from various other engineers

and mix down people( Eddie Kramer, Glyn Johns( or Andy), etc. But still the overall visionary, and the main reason 90%

of Zep still sounds timeless, and transparent.

I agree that absolutely others assisted.  Kramer in particular has legendary status due to working with so many heavyweights and great albums.  It is also well known that Page would bother producers and engineers about their ideas and tricks before and while with Zeppelin.  He was so sure of himself, borderline arrogant that he would often do things others in the studio weren't sure was possible or agree with, but always in the end it came out fantastic.  He had a major advantage as a session player also as he would work with so many different people and techniques, his curiosity would serve him well.

As for the harmonica I also agree.  I read somewhere that the harmonica is recorded in a backmask fashion, such as the backward guitar masking Hendrix used in his solo for Castles Made of Sand, Are you Experienced, and I believe In the Evening intro by LZ.  This really gave the harmonica playing a powerful and unique sound, impossible to replicate live.  I feel that coupled with the heavily engineered sound of the song, it was only attempted twice live and no desire by the band to do it injustice with subpar efforts.  

Some of their really early concerts have Plant tearing it up onstage with a harmonica.  A clear homage and thorough commitment that he had to the blues, really great stuff. 

12 hours ago, Canadianzepper said:

Obviously they had so many talents and skills among them as a band.  To me, it is Pages production skills.  He was the magician behind the scene who you could tell had that stealth like focus and creativity to ensure every song was produced to its fullest potential. 

:goodpost:

• 3 months later...
On 9/18/2016 at 10:09 AM, herseydenvar said:

For the benefit of others, here are the top ten from the article:

1. NFBM
  2. KASHMIR
  3. WHEN THE LEVEE BRAKES
  4. D&C
  5. IS
  6. IN THE EVENING
  7. WHOLE LOTTA LOVE
  8. HEARTBREAKER
  9. ALS
  10. BLACK DOG

The article cited the albums that each song they listed was from, and they only mentioned the studio releases. I take it by that that those are the versions that they chose to qualify their choices, otherwise they could have chosen live versions where available.... That's why IS is no go for me. The studio version pales to the live version, and is one I skip every time, along with the studio version of Kashmir.

Here are my ten, from live and studio versions. The studio versions listed would also be there live. The live versions would not be there if only the studio version was considered for this list.

SIBLY - Live

TSRTS - Live

OTHAFA - Live

KASHMIR - Live

NO QUARTER - Live

HB

WLL

THE ROVER

WE'RE GONNA GROOVE

HOW MANY MORE TIMES

Archived