Jimmy Page and Joe Elliott to appear at Classic Rock Awards

sam_webmaster

16 hours ago, SuperStatic said:

I really wish Jimmy would kick back into gear with JPJ. I really don't know why those two haven't teamed up at least once before now. Wonder if its personal or something.

Remember that they tried to in 2008 (with Jason). It amounted to nothing.

7 hours ago, mstork said:

The whole "French TV" evaluation of his performance is way, way overdone.  WAY overdone.

I have a different opinion. It clearly showed his playing had/has deteriorated to the point where he couldn't/can't play a Led Zeppelin song properly. People can cut him some slack and offer excuses all day long, but in my mind it was more embarrassing than the Atlantic Records effort. When put into context -- no solo singles/albums and no concert length solo performances for nearly 30 YEARS -- it really was a pretty damning indictment that whatever he says he's been doing, he ain't warming up on the touchlines to be seen playing live.

1 hour ago, SteveAJones said:

Remember that they tried to in 2008 (with Jason). It amounted to nothing.

Oh yeah I do for sure, but I suspect the circumstances are different now. This is just a hunch on my part and could be way off but I believe that project had more to do with calling Mr. Plants bluff more so than actually putting forth a meaningful project. Robert called the bluff and everyone (except Jimmy) moved on musically. But if the rumors are true and JP really does have some sort of fire to do something again it would be nice for him to finally team up with JPJ. He'd have a far better chance of making something memorable because Jonesy is such a musical talent and can complement Jimmy imo.

3 hours ago, SuperStatic said:

Oh yeah I do for sure, but I suspect the circumstances are different now. This is just a hunch on my part and could be way off but I believe that project had more to do with calling Mr. Plants bluff more so than actually putting forth a meaningful project. Robert called the bluff and everyone (except Jimmy) moved on musically. But if the rumors are true and JP really does have some sort of fire to do something again it would be nice for him to finally team up with JPJ. He'd have a far better chance of making something memorable because Jonesy is such a musical talent and can complement Jimmy imo.

How many times have we walked this trail over the past 15 years? The dog didn't hunt and he won't hunt at 73. It's done and over.  

4 hours ago, blindwillie127 said:

Yeah, but your still running to see him (possibly) play, aren't you? 

Running? No. Commuting. Look, I've already seen him perform all over the world. If he does on 11/11 great, and if doesn't the sun is still going to come up on 11/12. I don't doubt whatsoever it's within his capacity to deliver a song or two at any given time. In fact, I do wish he would more often. However, as I have said, and continue to assert, the solo project/solo tour speculation train should have pulled into the station years ago.    

Guys, Joe Elliott is one of us, a real music junkie - if you listen to his radio show on Planet Rock you get that, he talks about used record stores and vinyl and 45's and all kinds of shit - if anyone is able to get Jimmy to pick up a guitar again, it will be Joe Elliott - he is a Leo and hence has a personality type that might be able to convince Jimmy to be counted once again - plus no matter what Jimmy might want to play, Joe will be able to do it because like most of us he has one of those encyclopedia minds of music and lyrics plus Joe is very good friends with Ross. Joe and Ross have a 40 year relationship and he has a relationship with Jimmy Page as well so there might be a sense of comfort with Joe and Ross that might not be there with some of the younger guys. Fingers crossed that Joe can get Jimmy to go for it

17 hours ago, SteveAJones said:

I have a different opinion. It clearly showed his playing had/has deteriorated to the point where he couldn't/can't play a Led Zeppelin song properly. People can cut him some slack and offer excuses all day long, but in my mind it was more embarrassing than the Atlantic Records effort. When put into context -- no solo singles/albums and no concert length solo performances for nearly 30 YEARS -- it really was a pretty damning indictment that whatever he says he's been doing, he ain't warming up on the touchlines to be seen playing live.

At the risk of being redundant I couldn't disagree with you more. He was clearly surprised to be handed a guitar, had no thoughts on playing until that moment, and didn't know what to do.  Would be great if they tossed him an acoustic, he quickly tuned to DADGAD, then played a flawless White Summer but let's be real.  Same Old Rock with Harper is a more reasonable test of his latter-day chops and he passed with flying colors.

Nonetheless, I hope you get to see him play in November and I hope he lives up to your expectations.

18 hours ago, SteveAJones said:

Running? No. Commuting. Look, I've already seen him perform all over the world. If he does on 11/11 great, and if doesn't the sun is still going to come up on 11/12. I don't doubt whatsoever it's within his capacity to deliver a song or two at any given time. In fact, I do wish he would more often. However, as I have said, and continue to assert, the solo project/solo tour speculation train should have pulled into the station years ago.    

Sorry, in your first post I thought I detected a little fanboy enthusiasm there.:D My bad. 

To my mind there are several factors which may or may not have some bearing on whether he plays live at this event, or in a more sustained manner thereafter.

1. The work involved in the album reissues were regularly given as the reason for not moving to play live. That excuse - which was repeatedly given in endless interviews - this surely ended with Coda.

2. See 1, and add in an almost out of the blue re-release of an expanded BBC sessions (because clearly we all needed another version of the tracks provided last time!). Again, workload with this was the excuse given.

3. Prior to 1 and 2, business with the pictorial autobiography was the reason provided for inactivity.

Which brings things up to date, so what happens now?

Well, Tower House is covered in scaffolding so he could be unable to practice due to distractions from the sound of guttering being de-gunked?  I'd say this could be as distracting to him as the BBC Sessions of work but unlikely to be used as a neat excuse in a sound bite.

Could he aim to improve relations with "next door" by offering his services to Mr Williams as he too seeks to relaunch a grounded career?  Id say pretty doubtful - hopefully he learned a lesson from the Puff Daddy debacle and so gives this a body swerve.

Does he jump into re-hashing previously unreleased live stuff? Is there a demand for this - I mean, substantial demand to make it worthwhile financially in this age of file sharing and so on?

Or do we discount all of this and give some consideration to his personal life. He's a regular at poetry readings now, attending to support and enjoy his new partner (and I wish him all the best in this). Said partner will have many associates of a similar age, a great deal of whom will have no idea who he is..........I'd suggest basic machismo may rear its head and we see a short spell of live performances in a vain attempt to prove himself still relevant, to his partner, her associates (and possibly himself). 

To be honest, I'll not bother attending any such show - I'd probably not even purposefully seek it out on YouTube - but I hope any such event goes well for him and is enjoyed by fans keen to experience such a last hurrah.

As a regular performing solo artist/ entity Page is done. Retired. Too many years of zero recorded output and empty rhetoric supports this. (Unless Plant changes his mind. Unlikely.) As the custodian of all things Zeppelin he will continue in that role for as long as he's physically and mentally able to do so. Just my opinion. Looking forward to see what happens in November.

30 minutes ago, Buford T Justice said:

Well, Tower House is covered in scaffolding so he could be unable to practice due to distractions from the sound of guttering being de-gunked?  

It's supposed to be a secret, but the scaffolding is in fact a cover for the solo project. You see, the tradesmen are actually his new band mates in disguise. They're rehearsing for a month to be ready for 11/11.  

You MUST be joking. He does have another residence.

46 minutes ago, SteveAJones said:

It's supposed to be a secret, but the scaffolding is in fact a cover for the solo project. You see, the tradesmen are actually his new band mates in disguise. They're rehearsing for a month to be ready for 11/11.  

You MUST be joking. He does have another residence.

No joke at all.

I have it on good authority that a full-scale Pink Floyd reunion tour was abandoned last year because Roger Waters was preoccupied with a particularly gnarly weed that had become entangled in one of his mansions water spouts.

Brian Johnson's "hearing problem" is actually a cover story as he battles to save his Buckinghamshire mansion from rapidly spreading Japanese knotweed.

Add the Page issue to these examples and I think we all have to accept that home improvements are the biggest enemy to rock and roll since the heyday of Nancy Reagan.

Expect a "Rock against B&Q (Home Depot)"  benefit to be announced any day now.

3 hours ago, Buford T Justice said:

I have it on good authority that a full-scale Pink Floyd reunion tour was abandoned last year because Roger Waters was preoccupied with a particularly gnarly weed that had become entangled in one of his mansions water spouts.

Perhaps something is lost in translation, but as I understand it Pink Floyd reunion tours are postponed because Roger Waters is a dick weed. 

34 minutes ago, SteveAJones said:

Perhaps something is lost in translation, but as I understand it Pink Floyd reunion tours are postponed because Roger Waters is a dick weed. 

Waters has wanted a Pink Floyd reunion since before Live 8 in 2005 and after that. He would jump on it in a flash as Jimmy Page would jump on it if Plant wanted to do something.

5 minutes ago, luvlz2 said:

Waters has wanted a Pink Floyd reunion since before Live 8 in 2005 and after that. He would jump on it in a flash as Jimmy Page would jump on it if Plant wanted to do something.

Yeah, I know. I was kidding...sort of...given Waters politicization of his performance at the Desert thing in California this weekend. I'm glad Page kept politics out of his music, almost entirely.

53 minutes ago, SteveAJones said:

Yeah, I know. I was kidding...sort of...given Waters politicization of his performance at the Desert thing in California this weekend. I'm glad Page kept politics out of his music, almost entirely.

Did you see Neal Young's performance? Incredible, possibly the best of the lot. Bonus point: Even though he is a very political fellow himself he kept it subtle, he said his peace in brief snippets regarding particular issues but never called out anyone or any political ideology. Class act that Neal.

I thought Page never brought up politics in music? The only political references I can remember were on Zep III & IV and courtesy of RP, not Jimmy.

6 minutes ago, IpMan said:

Did you see Neal Young's performance? Incredible, possibly the best of the lot. Bonus point: Even though he is a very political fellow himself he kept it subtle, he said his peace in brief snippets regarding particular issues but never called out anyone or any political ideology. Class act that Neal.

I thought Page never brought up politics in music? The only political references I can remember were on Zep III & IV and courtesy of RP, not Jimmy.

Haven't seen it yet but I'll check it out. Led Zeppelin's political slant was strictly lyrical (That's The Way and Misty Mountain Hop). I'm fairly certain 11/11 will be free of any political bs.

7 hours ago, SteveAJones said:

There's no question he's always welcome to visit and is highly revered here, whatever he chooses to do or not to do.  

Nicely put Steve. It'd be nice if he received the same sort of treatment here.. Agreed?

1 hour ago, the chase said:

Nicely put Steve. It'd be nice if he received the same sort of treatment here.. Agreed?

Is Jimmy Page above reproach? 

We're having a discussion about why he hasn't come good on his promises since the early naughties to play live - that's all.

He's made a rod for his own back; not us.

But you seem intent on criticising people on this forum who ask legitimate and fair questions about the delays.

Do you want to rename the forum -  "Jimmy Page hagiography."

1 hour ago, Boleskinner said:

Is Jimmy Page above reproach? 

We're having a discussion about why he hasn't come good on his promises since the early naughties to play live - that's all.

He's made a rod for his own back; not us.

But you seem intent on criticising people on this forum who ask legitimate and fair questions about the delays.

Do you want to rename the forum -  "Jimmy Page hagiography."

No. I get that you're frustrated,  but Zeppelin comes first for Jimmy page. All these years of solo inactivity that you and Steve keep harping on have been spent preserving Led Zeppelin. I don't need to list them all, you know all he's done as much as I do. He's worked very hard. As the bands leader and Producer, this is his love and main priority.. Over a solo project over his guitar chops and anything else. 

A rod in his back for what??? Focusing on remastering the led Zeppelin catalog and not the solo project you want him to do?  How selfish of him. Does he need to put a disclaimer every time he says he wants to do something? Of course not. Give him a break.. 

Archived