Jimmy Page and Joe Elliott to appear at Classic Rock Awards

sam_webmaster

So people who paid to see Jimmy play got to see Johnny Depp play while Jimmy handed out yet another award?  Sorry to hear that Steve, what a disappointment.

And he's still talking about next year.  Why he seems to get such a kick out of messing with his fans is a mystery, so weird and uncalled for.

27 minutes ago, mstork said:

So people who paid to see Jimmy play got to see Johnny Depp play while Jimmy handed out yet another award?  Sorry to hear that Steve, what a disappointment.

And he's still talking about next year.  Why he seems to get such a kick out of messing with his fans is a mystery, so weird and uncalled for.

It's criminal what went down tonight. I need to write a letter to Classic Rock that flames the skin off their bones. We'll see if they have the balls to publish it. Any sane, reasonable person who encountered the promotional materials and visited their website would draw the conclusion JIMMY PAGE was to perform music in a live setting tonight, not hand Jeff Beck an award at the podium. Top tier tickets for this event were something like $1,200 USD, and the cheapest tickets were around $180.00. Jeff's great but he's going to be touring Japan in two months anyway. I like most if not all of the artists on the bill but it comes down to the principle of the matter: calculated deception. If you went as a Jimmy Page fan, you could make a very convincing argument you got ripped off.

20 minutes ago, SteveAJones said:

It's criminal what went down tonight. I need to write a letter to Classic Rock that flames the skin off their bones. We'll see if they have the balls to publish it. Any sane, reasonable person who encountered the promotional materials and visited their website would draw the conclusion JIMMY PAGE was to perform music in a live setting tonight, not hand Jeff Beck an award at the podium. Top tier tickets for this event were something like $1,200 USD, and the cheapest tickets were around $180.00. Jeff's great but he's going to be touring Japan in two months anyway. I like most if not all of the artists on the bill but it comes down to the principle of the matter: calculated deception. If you went as a Jimmy Page fan, you could make a very convincing argument you got ripped off.

I'm moderately surprised that you - of all people - actually thought he'd play. I totally agree that the event was fraudulently advertised, and I expect your letter of complaint will be either totally ignored or you'll get flamed for daring to criticise Pagey.

He's definitely cast the finale die for any future appearances now. He's the very definition of the boy who cried wolf. I reckon the only time he'll be seen with a guitar in the future is in a Ross Halfin photo.

How sad.

40 minutes ago, SteveAJones said:

Oh dear. Posted on this thread previously, that a "seven guitarists on stage" type - jam would be fair enough, but total non performance would open up a can of worms, as that poster looked pretty unequivocal: I mean, the words "Jimmy Page" appear under "live performance".

$180 for a prize giving?!

44 minutes ago, woz70 said:

I'm moderately surprised that you - of all people - actually thought he'd play. I totally agree that the event was fraudulently advertised, and I expect your letter of complaint will be either totally ignored or you'll get flamed for daring to criticise Pagey.

Well, there's never any guarantees -- do we need to discuss the "knee surgery" cancellation he pulled on us in Switzerland in 2006 -- but any rational, reasonable  person interested in this event who reviewed the promotional materials and the event's official website would draw the conclusion that a jam at minimum was on the table. "Artists scheduled to perform include..." doesn't mean artists scheduled to participate, it means what it says. Look at the poster...top billing for Beck and Page. If Halfin had a hand in the organization of the event, and I don't he probably did, it explains the somewhat head-scratching line up they cobbled together for this premier event. I could post a bunch of negativity about that but why bother. It's done and so is he. He blew smoke up the Japanese media's ass again, got some neat bootlegs, and gave out an award to an old friend. Glad he had a good time, but could have had an even greater time if he wanted too. 

4 hours ago, SteveAJones said:

Jimmy did NOT perform tonight, he only presented an award to Jeff Beck! CLASSIC ROCK can shove any future Tokyo award shows up their asses! TOP BILLING on all of the promotional materials AND categorized as a "PERFORMING ARTIST" on the website and he hands Jeff an award. Glad they both had a good time but man did the ticket holders get fleeced! Aside from all that, it's clear he is well and truly DONE.

2011%2011%2011%20Access%20All%20Areas_zp

2016%2011%2011%20Access%20All%20Areas_zp

Fuck! I'm gutted! And I'm gutted for you Steve!!! 

Not sure what to say or how I feel about this except that I have sort of an empty feeling in me for some reason - it is possible that Page has some sort of emotional trauma that prevents him from getting on stage? I really thought because of who was going to be attending this event as fellow performers to Jimmy, his peers, that they would have easily gotten Jimmy back on stage. I'm kinda shocked about it to be honest. Maybe it's time to just forget about him? I think I'm moving on now.

What's makes matters even worse is Jimmy has aged very well since the O2, he looks great. Like he could just pick up the guitar and rock at any minute. Very odd imo. But honestly I didn't get any idea that he would perform at this event. Even with the promotional material. Just a gut feeling that he would do something like he did.

Unless it's Zep related he's retired. Content to live in his own shadow and maintain a website that does little except post past glories. Nothing new to offer unless it's another remastering of the Zep catalog. He can do what he wants.  

I feel bad for those who attended this event and thought there was going to be some type of
performance on his end.  Not a shock,  sadly very predictable and a total shame.  There is
pulling ones chain,  but wow not cool Jimbo.:buttsmack:   For me I stopped trying to bite that
dangling carrot after reading several attempts have failed to result in him playing.   I can't help
but think perhaps it's something simple and maybe he's just plain old embarrassed for a proud
man like Jimmy to admit to.   You guys and your delicate egos....:console:  :console2:

Off topic sorta... I'm going through this thread relatively quick.  I have to ask;  is there a
reason why Jimmy is cloning his clothing attire in ever single photo.  I am actually getting
confused on whether pictures are from yesterday,  6 weeks ago,  last year or 3 years ago etc.  I
don't mean to sound harsh,  but I don't recall Page being so hell bent on wearing the same
thing like he's in a uniform.    Meh I guess he loves the shade black.  I do too,  but I like other
colors and Jimmy can pull off more than just a black leather jacket and a scarf.  Oh well not that 
it matters.  He's very sweet  for an older gent.   Just something I picked up on looking at these
photos.   Thanks for posting the interviews  and clips:banana:

1 hour ago, the chase said:

I cannot defend this one.. WTF Jimmy! Your name is as big as Jeff Beck's on the posters.. if you were not planning to perform, you should have made it known well in advance. 

He probably has. If he hadn't, surely there would be contractual issues between him and the promoter? I can't see him putting himself in that position. I think it's just a stand up rip off by the promoter. You'd have to say, they are on very dodgy ground......contract law etc. There's a very strong case for fraudulent misrepresentation. 

I could be wrong of course. I'm no expert. I would be absolutely fuming if I had gone. It would my wife weeks to calm me down. 

4 hours ago, Boleskinner said:

"Artists scheduled to perform include..."  The word "scheduled" will cover them. Different from "artists performing include".

Makes me wonder if he got set up.. name used to draw attention.  But even still, he should have made it clear he wasn't playing.... or played SOMETHING.. I imagine some fans shelled out big bucks and travelled pretty far for an award presentation. That stinks.

Led Zeppelin is music
By which we measure
Our pain
I'll say it again
Led Zeppelin is music
By which we measure
Our pain

I don't believe in Team Rock
I don't believe in websites
I don't believe in promo posters
I don't believe in sound checks
I don't believe in Halfin
I don't believe in Joe (fuckin' Perry)

I don't believe in Jeff

I don't believe in blogs
I don't believe in awards
I don't believe in touchlines
I don't believe in Yoshiki
I don't believe in a guitar project                                                                                                                                    

I don't believe in solo shows
I don't believe in more visits

I don't believe a word he says

I just believe in me
Yuko Oshima and me
And that's reality

The dream is over
What can I say?
The dream is over
Yesterday
I was the dream weaver
But now I'm reborn
I was the Sorcerer's Apprentice
But now I'm just Steve
And so dear friends
You just have to carry on
The dream is over

tumblr_m0lwsrNI9Q1r2aghwo1_500.jpg

Poor form by CR and another missed opportunity for Page. He would've been best advised to clarify exactly what he was going to do and what capacity he was involved with the awards.

Perhaps they should've promoted Jimmy as "Live In Person presenting the award for....",  instead of implying a performance by him and others.

Anyone stupid enough to pay $1200 or even $180 on a maybe, deserves what they get or in this case, didn't. Having said that, I do feel sorry for those who were misled and fleeced of their hard earned by attending the show.

20 minutes ago, Boleskinner said:

I wonder if Tight But Loose will just report this straight or have an editorial position on it? Checked their Facebook page and nothing yet.

Tight But Loose coverage will omit anything that reflects negatively on Jimmy Page or the organizers (which include Ross Halfin) and you can take that to the bank. Dave Lewis is an optimist by nature, but aside from that TBL is what he does for a living now. He cannot afford to fall out of favor with Halfin or Page. I don't have that concern at all. I credit or critique as I see fit, and at the end of the day it's just one man's opinion.  I will say that to his credit, he has allowed me thus far to post negative editorial content to his wall on Facebook, if only to promote broader discussion of the topic. 

Archived