Jimmy Page and Joe Elliott to appear at Classic Rock Awards

sam_webmaster

4 hours ago, StringBender said:

So one poster lists Jimmy along with Jeff but the other poster doesn't even list Jimmy. Hmmm that may have been a clue there was some doubt as to his performing or not. Wouldn't you think?

With all of your contacts Steve didn't anyone give you a heads up he wasn't performing? The rehearsal and sound check pics didn't show him holding  guitar so that should've been a big clue also.  

No that was Steve messing with the artwork. FTFY = Fixed That For You.  

People definitely deserve an explanation for this.. whether from Jimmy Page, Ross Halfin the promoters ... someone..

I don't think Page should be tarred and feathered for this,  but hopefully he and the organizers realize just showing up and handing out an award doesn't deserve a top billing. Not even Jimmy Page... People were led to believe there would be more to this event.

I'm one of the biggest glass is half full type optimist when it comes to JP on this forum. But this incident was wrong no matter how you slice it.. 

3 minutes ago, middlezep said:

This is a perfect opportunity for jimmy page to launch a small tour of japan, unleashing a few new songs and maybe styling an outrider approach, making fans in japan happy and everyone else on youtube happy. 

Meanwhile, in the real world....

Guys, it's done. Jimmy is never going to pick up a guitar and actually play it again. The only thing he will be doing when it comes to picking up a guitar is signing his autograph for someone or for some contest or giveaway and that's about it.

I hope to be proven wrong but it's done, and I'm not saying that with any sort of joy or anger either. Time to move on and forget about this award show appearance...

4 minutes ago, Charles J. White said:

Guys, it's done. Jimmy is never going to pick up a guitar and actually play it again. The only thing he will be doing when it comes to picking up a guitar is signing his autograph for someone or for some contest or giveaway and that's about it.

I hope to be proven wrong but it's done, and I'm not saying that with any sort of joy or anger either. Time to move on and forget about this award show appearance...

Nope - he doesn't sign stuff any more.  It might get  JP rubber stamped though...

I'll never say never when it comes to Page playing again, but I think theres a better chance of getting new studio material out of him rather than a big WW tour.  Several sources close to Jimmy including Robert Plant have said that Jimmy has a  large portion of unproduced music he's been working on for years (wont do any good if he doesn't record it though).  But he still looks great and pretty healthy so who knows about playing live. I'll believe it when I see it.

Jimmy used the term, "unleashing new songs" on his website...its about time for something. I think he should do a 20yr anniversary outrider tour....so young fans could experience what i did in 1988. I have to say, everyone singing along to stairway out loud or in their own heads and hearing the man himself play it, was phenomenal. Thats if....he even wants to play sth, he could easily tour without it. 

4 hours ago, middlezep said:

This is a perfect opportunity for jimmy page to launch a small tour of japan, unleashing a few new songs and maybe styling an outrider approach, making fans in japan happy and everyone else on youtube happy. 

You've sort of made my point for me. Given all that has been said over his past few visits to TOKYO, the Classic Rock Awards last Thursday night was an ideal vehicle to make good on his first live performance in Japan in over 20 years. THAT is why people paid $1,200.00 and up to attend. Ultimately, if one went as a Jimmy Page enthusiast, you have every right to feel deceived and ripped off.

I publicly call on Team Rock to issue an explanation.    

3 hours ago, middlezep said:

Jimmy used the term, "unleashing new songs" on his website...its about time for something. I think he should do a 20yr anniversary outrider tour....so young fans could experience what i did in 1988. I have to say, everyone singing along to stairway out loud or in their own heads and hearing the man himself play it, was phenomenal. Thats if....he even wants to play sth, he could easily tour without it. 

Didn't perform at event he co-headlined in arguably his most loyal market. Perhaps he should stay home at this point, sorry to say.  

On 11/12/2016 at 9:39 PM, babysquid said:

As you say you haven't paid any attention to this you were obviously unaware that Jimmy was advertised as a co headlining performer. The fact that he didn't perform and made absolutely no effort to indicate that he wouldn't is what has got peoples backs up.

Fine, you ( and many others) can now come here any say how you never expected him to play but THE FACT remains that he was ADVERTISED TO PLAY and he and Classic Rock had plenty of time to make it clear that this was not the case.

You're right. I didn't pay attention to any of the promotional build-up, so I went back and looked at what I missed.

The poster does have Jimmy Page and Jeff Beck at the top of the bill in big letters. But forget about any lawsuit...TeamRock would win. Doesn't mean they didn't take advantage of the public's gullibility and vaguely imply something. 

But they were just vague enough to protect them in a court of law. The poster simply states "Live Performance" on the top. It does not say "Live Performance By"...that is a big difference.

When I look at that poster I don't assume all of those names are going to perform. I just figure one or a few of those names will perform, and given Jimmy's recent track record, he is the last one I would expect to perform. No way I am dropping money to attend that award show.

Did Jimmy ever mention performing in any of the press leading up to the event? No. That was another dead giveaway that his appearance was strictly in a non-performing capacity.

The third giveaway is the absence of Jimmy on stage playing in any of the rehearsal photos and videos. It's pretty blatently obvious by that point Jimmy is not going to play.

I do agree with SAJ vis a vis Ross Halfin and Tight But Loose.

8 hours ago, Strider said:

You're right. I didn't pay attention to any of the promotional build-up, so I went back and looked at what I missed.

The poster does have Jimmy Page and Jeff Beck at the top of the bill in big letters. But forget about any lawsuit...TeamRock would win. Doesn't mean they didn't take advantage of the public's gullibility and vaguely imply something. 

But they were just vague enough to protect them in a court of law. The poster simply states "Live Performance" on the top. It does not say "Live Performance By"...that is a big difference.

When I look at that poster I don't assume all of those names are going to perform. I just figure one or a few of those names will perform, and given Jimmy's recent track record, he is the last one I would expect to perform. No way I am dropping money to attend that award show.

Did Jimmy ever mention performing in any of the press leading up to the event? No. That was another dead giveaway that his appearance was strictly in a non-performing capacity.

The third giveaway is the absence of Jimmy on stage playing in any of the rehearsal photos and videos. It's pretty blatently obvious by that point Jimmy is not going to play.

8 hours ago, Strider said:

As a minimum, a co-headliner either performs or has a significant role in the event (MC, host, etc). Show me ANY other instance in history of a co-headliner in the Tokyo market failing to perform or have a prominent role. Let me guess, handing Jeff his statue should be considered significant? Puh-leze. It's not once in a lifetime, I'll tell you that.  

Why not have Jeff Beck's name directly beneath "Live Performance" instead of Jimmy's? There's more to it than just that poster, there are also leaflets pushing a similar theme (Beck & Page as co-headliners) and assurances given on the Team Rock site and elsewhere that this would be a "once in a lifetime experience" etc. 

A low-key run-up and absence from rehearsals/sound check could have been to preserve the element of surprise for whatever he was going to do during the event. An air of mystery. Joe Perry wasn't even on the bill, but he was there. I'm hearing now many of the artists themselves thought Jimmy would be performing.

^ You should not have to decipher whether or not someone is going to play at an event, especially when that someone is on the top of the bill as a co-headliner.  If it was a free concert, that would be one thing, but you can't expect paying fans to be savvy enough to know when they're being duped, because they really shouldn't have to. It was wrong, plain and simple.

On another note, Dean Deleo sure has gotten fat....tryin' to lighten things up a bit here now :).

21 minutes ago, blindwillie127 said:

^ You should not have to decipher whether or not someone is going to play at an event, especially when that someone is on the top of the bill as a co-headliner.  If it was a free concert, that would be one thing, but you can't expect paying fans to be savvy enough to know when they're being duped, because they really shouldn't have to. It was wrong, plain and simple.

This.

I mean, how would those on this thread saying "ticket buyers ought to have been more sceptical" feel, if they bought an advertised as "new" automobile and it broke down in 3 days and turned out to actually be a former rental with 20000 miles on the clock? You might feel like taking some action against the dealer, right?

Hello, 

I just joined the forum as I wanted to comment on this, thanks for not trashing the newbie ! 

I attended that concert too (hence my alias) and I totally agree with Steve and others: this was a total disgrace for JP. 

But call me naive if you want, I don't think that the organizers printed those posters knowing that he would not perform.  My gut feeling is that he chickened out , and maybe backstage they tried to convince him until the last moment. Some of the other artists gave subtle hints  they were not too pleased with the situation : Johnny Depp (who by the way said he was just here to "pretend to play" and it was kinda true but fun, at least he came on stage with a guitar!) at some point of time shouted something like "and if someone want to grab a guitar and play this he will be welcome", if I remember well it was just before Train kept a rolling. Also Beck said cryptically after receiving this glorious award "and my life changed after I met Jimmy... not always for the better". And his first piece afterwards was Beck's Bolero. 

For me it was obvious that at the very least Train and Bolero were meant for JP to be on stage and play with them. 

Anyway, I was obviously pissed off to see my hero be on top of the bill and just come on stage about 20 seconds to say some half-baked niceties about Beck , hand him this ridiculous trophy and escape like a criminal. You are worth more than that Jimmy. When I left two crying Japanese fans were saying they could not believe it. 

But the rest of the show was very good in my opinion. Sambora was great with his Bon Jovi hits acoustic set (didn't know he can sing very well too). Collen surprised me with a very strong performance (again both on guitar and vocal , including Dancing Days with the singer of Tesla if I remember well). I liked Yoshiki on the piano. Perry was good too. Schenker reminded me that my first favorite band when I was a teen was Scorpions. And finally I sensed Beck was a bit tense (maybe a tussle with Jimmy since he didn't join him?) but he played well. 

In short, even without our party pooper in chief, I would have been happy to be there. But certainly much less happy if I had paid the VIP package just for JP. That sucks indeed. 

Jimmy cant physically play properly anymore I am convinced.   Arthritis combined with tendinitis combined with lack of practice he has lost his gift.

all he has now is award shows.   Literally the only thing he can do publically.  

His performing days are truly done.  

I find it incredibly sad and tragic that Jimmy has become so cynical and isolated from reality.

Clapton, beck, Santana, Van Halen, Iommi, Blackmore, May, Buddy Guy, all these old guitar heroes still out there playing fantastically.  And the biggest of them all, Page, sits at home obsessing on his neighbors house, bitter at Robert and ripping off fans with half baked re-releases from his Golden Age 40 years in the past.

Kenneth Angers Curse of King Midas, hmmm maybe it worked. 

14 minutes ago, bluecongo said:

Jimmy cant physically play properly anymore I am convinced.   Arthritis combined with tendinitis combined with lack of practice he has lost his gift.

all he has now is award shows.   Literally the only thing he can do publically.  

His performing days are truly done.  

I find it incredibly sad and tragic that Jimmy has become so cynical and isolated from reality.

Clapton, beck, Santana, Van Halen, Iommi, Blackmore, May, Buddy Guy, all these old guitar heroes still out there playing fantastically.  And the biggest of them all, Page, sits at home obsessing on his neighbors house, bitter at Robert and ripping off fans with half baked re-releases from his Golden Age 40 years in the past.

Kenneth Angers Curse of King Midas, hmmm maybe it worked. 

Yes it's sad and to be honest now I feel more pity than anger. Must have been hard for him too, to see all those famous guitarists on stage and ultimately disappoint them as well (they may be his biggest fans after all). 

I'm not here to play the Robert vs Jimmy drama (love them both of course) but when Plant came to Tokyo last time (at Summer Sonic) he was not top of the bill. That was Arctic Monkeys. So he had to be content playing at 5pm in front of many people who for the most part didn't come to see him as a priority. But he delivered a very good performance with the SSS. So in comparison what happened at Kokugikan was just... farcical. 

Today's statement from KLab Entertainment

Google translated

2016/11/14  "CLASSIC ROCK AWARDS 2016" Apology and situation reporting that Mr. Jimmy Page was not played

This time, thank you very much for coming to "CLASSIC ROCK AWARDS 2016". We received a lot of voices from acclaimed customers, music critics, musicians, etc. about the performance of this time.

However, Mr. Jimmy Paige did not perform as a presenter while playing as a presenter. Regarding this point, I will apologize for the guests who are looking forward to Mr. Jimmy Page on behalf of the organizer and explain the situation.

Jimmy Paige 's performance is planned as the main feature of this event, and I was preparing guitar and amp for the day. However, just before the performance, Jimmy Paige's intention did not play. We are inquiring about Mr. Jimmy Page for reason why performance was not performed, but we have not received a response at the moment.

As organizer, as a single rock fan I was looking forward to Jimmy Paige's performance so much that I could not appreciate that I could not appreciate Mr. Jimmy Page's performance.

It is true that the performance was not performed despite announcing that Mr. Jimmy Page as advertising publicity at ticket sales as a signboard star but conversely, Johnny Depp, who had not announced at ticket sale And Joe Perry participated, and showed excellent performance. Considering the age of the performers, and because of the nature of the event called festival where many artists appear, I think that it was difficult to completely prevent change of performers / performance contents.

This event is not an independent concert by Mr. Jimmy Page but it is an event made up of many performers, so we decided that the event itself was established although performance was not done. Therefore, we can not refund the ticket price so we appreciate your understanding.

We apologize again for having caused trouble this time.

November 14, 2016
KLab Entertainment Co., Ltd. Representative Director Tetsuya Sanada

10 minutes ago, zeplz71 said:

Google translated

2016/11/14  "CLASSIC ROCK AWARDS 2016" Apology and situation reporting that Mr. Jimmy Page was not played

This time, thank you very much for coming to "CLASSIC ROCK AWARDS 2016". We received a lot of voices from acclaimed customers, music critics, musicians, etc. about the performance of this time.

However, Mr. Jimmy Paige did not perform as a presenter while playing as a presenter. Regarding this point, I will apologize for the guests who are looking forward to Mr. Jimmy Page on behalf of the organizer and explain the situation.

Jimmy Paige 's performance is planned as the main feature of this event, and I was preparing guitar and amp for the day. However, just before the performance, Jimmy Paige's intention did not play. We are inquiring about Mr. Jimmy Page for reason why performance was not performed, but we have not received a response at the moment.

As organizer, as a single rock fan I was looking forward to Jimmy Paige's performance so much that I could not appreciate that I could not appreciate Mr. Jimmy Page's performance.

It is true that the performance was not performed despite announcing that Mr. Jimmy Page as advertising publicity at ticket sales as a signboard star but conversely, Johnny Depp, who had not announced at ticket sale And Joe Perry participated, and showed excellent performance. Considering the age of the performers, and because of the nature of the event called festival where many artists appear, I think that it was difficult to completely prevent change of performers / performance contents.

This event is not an independent concert by Mr. Jimmy Page but it is an event made up of many performers, so we decided that the event itself was established although performance was not done. Therefore, we can not refund the ticket price so we appreciate your understanding.

November 14, 2016

Damn I hate it that my gut feeling was in fact correct . Shame on you Jimmy. You should at least apologize now. 

1 hour ago, mstork said:

Cannot and will not speak for Steve, but he seems to have some pretty good connections on this stuff.  I doubt the poster was the ONLY thing that led him to believe Jimmy would perform.

It wasn't just the poster. There were also leaflets, a Classic Rock promo campaign and public comments made by Team Rock leadership.  

1 hour ago, Kokugikan said:

Hello, 

I just joined the forum as I wanted to comment on this, thanks for not trashing the newbie ! 

I attended that concert too (hence my alias) and I totally agree with Steve and others: this was a total disgrace for JP. 

But call me naive if you want, I don't think that the organizers printed those posters knowing that he would not perform.  My gut feeling is that he chickened out , and maybe backstage they tried to convince him until the last moment. Some of the other artists gave subtle hints  they were not too pleased with the situation : Johnny Depp (who by the way said he was just here to "pretend to play" and it was kinda true but fun, at least he came on stage with a guitar!) at some point of time shouted something like "and if someone want to grab a guitar and play this he will be welcome", if I remember well it was just before Train kept a rolling. Also Beck said cryptically after receiving this glorious award "and my life changed after I met Jimmy... not always for the better". And his first piece afterwards was Beck's Bolero. 

For me it was obvious that at the very least Train and Bolero were meant for JP to be on stage and play with them. 

Anyway, I was obviously pissed off to see my hero be on top of the bill and just come on stage about 20 seconds to say some half-baked niceties about Beck , hand him this ridiculous trophy and escape like a criminal. You are worth more than that Jimmy. When I left two crying Japanese fans were saying they could not believe it. 

But the rest of the show was very good in my opinion. Sambora was great with his Bon Jovi hits acoustic set (didn't know he can sing very well too). Collen surprised me with a very strong performance (again both on guitar and vocal , including Dancing Days with the singer of Tesla if I remember well). I liked Yoshiki on the piano. Perry was good too. Schenker reminded me that my first favorite band when I was a teen was Scorpions. And finally I sensed Beck was a bit tense (maybe a tussle with Jimmy since he didn't join him?) but he played well. 

In short, even without our party pooper in chief, I would have been happy to be there. But certainly much less happy if I had paid the VIP package just for JP. That sucks indeed. 

Thanks so much for that post. I feel it is very important that the outside world hear what happened in Tokyo from the Japanese perspective. I know how very difficult it is for the Japanese to levy any public criticism towards Jimmy or any guest for that matter. However, what Team Rock and Ross Halfin did was wrong. In the unlikely event Jimmy simply backed out he owes us all an apology.       

40 minutes ago, zeplz71 said:

Google translated

November 14, 2016

I commend Sanada-san for providing an official explanation. Note it is now publicly disclosed Jimmy was indeed expected to perform.

Perhaps Jimmy's explanation with or without apology will follow in due course. I hope everyone involved understands my critiques of Jimmy are always rooted in tough love. It is so frustrating to see him encounter any difficulties, be they a consequence of circumstance or self-management. I have been genuinely concerned about him for some time, never more so than now.  

1 hour ago, zeplz71 said:

Google translated

November 14, 2016

"Jimmy Paige 's performance is planned as the main feature of this event, and I was preparing guitar and amp for the day. However, just before the performance, Jimmy Paige's intention did not play. We are inquiring about Mr. Jimmy Page for reason why performance was not performed, but we have not received a response at the moment".

Sorry, but I don't quite buy this statement. Did Page do any rehearsing or preparation of any kind to make this director/organizer of the event actually think Page was gonna play? Nope. Oh, but he was "was preparing guitar and amp for the day".:D Like there wasn't a ton of guitars and amps there already. B)  Honestly, it all stinks from top to bottom to me.

37 minutes ago, blindwillie127 said:

Sorry, but I don't quite buy this statement. Did Page do any rehearsing or preparation of any kind to make this director/organizer of the event actually think Page was gonna play? Nope. Oh, but he was "was preparing guitar and amp for the day".:D Like there wasn't a ton of guitars and amps there already. B)  Honestly, it all stinks from top to bottom to me.

It does beg the age old question, "What did you know and when did you know it?". The cancellation in particular. We have to be cautious not to take the statement literally because this is an English translation of the original Japanese statement. That being said, "just before the performance" could mean a week prior or an hour prior". It's quite likely it first became known upon his arrival a couple days prior.

I will say I was perplexed to see Perry & Depp added to the event, but then again there were other acts (Japanese) added in the days leading up to it as well. So I don't think adding Perry & Depp was done to offset Page dropping out, or stem the tsunami of disappointment his non-performance has generated.

What really matters here is Team Rock has essentially absolved itself from any responsibility for the non-performance. They've put it all on Jimmy Page. Now, it is Jimmy's turn to set the record straight.

It is my earnest hope that he do so as soon as possible.     

This latest development along with years of empty rhetoric and zero recorded output of any new music shows me that Page's career as a live performer and recording artist has reached it's coda. The prospect of an apology regarding him bailing on the award show is extremely unlikely imo.

Archived