Jimmy Page and Joe Elliott to appear at Classic Rock Awards

sam_webmaster

5 minutes ago, Charles J. White said:

I play a guitar and sing out of tune as well - can I be a rockstar like Johnathan Depp? It is odd that Jonathan is being treated like someone who is not an actor but a legitimate career musician but hey all the power to him. He has some clever marketing behind him  indeed

To be fair to  Johnny Depp, he was a musician and playing in bands before he became an actor. But, I get what your saying.;) 

On November 18, 2016 at 8:43 AM, Kokugikan said:

I can't get that "Quote" thing right on IPhone, there's a bug or I'm too much of a newbie. Anyway just to say that if professional musicians are just supposed to handle awards then we will have to rely on actors musicians . Frankly his rock star attitude on stage was spot-on. How he played might be a different thing but hey, at least it was fun to watch!  

UPDATE:

I have received a response from Team Rock to my aggressive inquiries concerning this year's Classic Rock Awards in Tokyo.

The bottom line is they are now offering discounted tickets to this year's attendees for next year's event OR a full refund.

Their official statement is available here:

http://classicrockawards.jp/en/

4 minutes ago, SteveAJones said:

UPDATE:

I have received a response from Team Rock to my aggressive inquiries concerning this year's Class Rock Awards in Tokyo.

The bottom line is they are now offering discounted tickets to this year's attendees for next year's event OR a full refund.

Brilliant result, although the statement is a little mealy mouthed.

Interesting that they should quote PT Barnum:

In the late 19th Century American impresario Phineas Taylor ‘P.T.’ Barnham coined the phrase “The Greatest Show On Earth”. In rock’n’roll terms, that’s exactly from where Classic Rock’s annual awards ceremony takes its inspiration.

Perhaps it would've been more apposite to use his 'one born every 60 seconds' adage...

1 minute ago, woz70 said:

Brilliant result, although the statement is a little mealy mouthed.

Interesting that they should quote PT Barnum:

In the late 19th Century American impresario Phineas Taylor ‘P.T.’ Barnham coined the phrase “The Greatest Show On Earth”. In rock’n’roll terms, that’s exactly from where Classic Rock’s annual awards ceremony takes its inspiration.

Perhaps it would've been more apposite to use his 'one born every 60 seconds' adage...

I had the same passing thought about that quote. Anyway, it's all in the past now. Discounted tickets for 2017 or a FULL REFUND for this year's event are being offered from now until December 20th. Additionally, Team Rock plans to hold annual Classic Rock Awards in Tokyo thru 2020. Thus going forward, I wish Team Rock and K-Lab Entertainment Co., Ltd. continued success in the Tokyo market.  

20 minutes ago, SteveAJones said:

UPDATE:

I have received a response from Team Rock to my aggressive inquiries concerning this year's Classic Rock Awards in Tokyo.

Well done, Steve! Great news.

I know I would like a brief statement from Page to draw a line under the whole thing, but it will never happen.

Would you also like Pagey to issue something?

2 minutes ago, Boleskinner said:

Well done, Steve! Great news.

I know I would like a brief statement from Page to draw a line under the whole thing, but it will never happen.

Would you also like Pagey to issue something?

I feel the comments Jimmy made in Classic Rock promo video suffice for a statement with regard to what his intentions were.

We may never know for certain why Sanada-san listed Jimmy as a co-headliner. Sounds as if there was misunderstanding as to what was possible, and perhaps he got carried away in his excitement. He said he learned a lot from this experience.    

15 minutes ago, SteveAJones said:

I feel the comments Jimmy made in Classic Rock promo video suffice for a statement with regard to what his intentions were.

We may never know for certain why Sanada-san listed Jimmy as a co-headliner. Sounds as if there was misunderstanding as to what was possible, and perhaps he got carried away in his excitement. He said he learned a lot from this experience.    

Jimmy not picking up the guitar for a jam has caused people a lot of hassle. Promotion wasn't his fault, but I hope it makes him rethink things somewhat.

Everyone came out of this smelling like five-day old sushi.

3 minutes ago, Boleskinner said:

Jimmy not picking up the guitar for a jam has caused people a lot of hassle. Promotion wasn't his fault, but I hope it makes him rethink things somewhat.

Everyone came out of this smelling like five-day old sushi.

If I could ask him one question tonight it would be "What the fuck is the matter with you?" It's bad enough he didn't play, then Jeff wouldn't let anyone film his performance, So when the 90 minute feature is released there will be no Jeff Beck performance.

Wow! Great news Steve! At least someone somewhere understood that this was just not right. 

But yeah I share your disappointment re. Jimmy himself. Whatever was signed or said , fact is  that it was a golden opportunity for him to play in front of a loving audience and with peers that worship him as well. But he didn't .  

5 hours ago, SteveAJones said:

If I could ask him one question tonight it would be "What the fuck is the matter with you?" It's bad enough he didn't play, then Jeff wouldn't let anyone film his performance, So when the 90 minute feature is released there will be no Jeff Beck performance.

Can't wait for that 90 mins of prime footage from this historic event. :D 

5 hours ago, Kokugikan said:

Wow! Great news Steve! At least someone somewhere understood that this was just not right. 

But yeah I share your disappointment re. Jimmy himself. Whatever was signed or said , fact is  that it was a golden opportunity for him to play in front of a loving audience and with peers that worship him as well. But he didn't .  

Can we stop with the loving Japanese audience already, they love & worship everybody, always have. They would have been very happy with just a Richie Sambora, Tesla & Hollywood Vultures lineup, all day long. 

29 minutes ago, blindwillie127 said:

Can we stop with the loving Japanese audience already, they love & worship everybody, always have. They would have been very happy with just a Richie Sambora, Tesla & Hollywood Vultures lineup, all day long. 

Lol! Yeah of course. Japs are just big kids, so easy to satisfy (and fleece) right? And how about Florida audiences ?  An alligator show with a dash of monster trucks and Trump as MC? (-: 

2 hours ago, blindwillie127 said:

They are also really great at cramming onto trains, no one does it better

21 hours ago, Kokugikan said:

Lol! Yeah of course. Japs are just big kids, so easy to satisfy (and fleece) right? And how about Florida audiences ?  An alligator show with a dash of monster trucks and Trump as MC? (-: 

Actually, the Japanese are rather easy to please, but thats not a put down. One thing the Japanese can never be accused of is being jaded, and thats a good thing and I hope that never changes ;)

"Florida audiences ?" yes, we're a strange conglomeration of fuckedupness all around, no retort's from me on that one.:D

Yeah in 71', 72' the Japs went berserk, totally, for Zep.

Even though it appears the whole event was chaotically and incompetently done, Jimmy should still say something.

Also though Jimmy isn't playing anymore, if he does want to tour(heaven forbid) this non playing stuff may make him

radioactive to promoters and tour organizers,etc.. And if Jimmy can't play( I myself get systemic dermatitis from anything

containing Propylene Glycol, organic soap, shampoo only, blah,blah) how did he play so well with Roy Harper in 2011 ??

Jimmy is DONE, but I do have a 2 CD set of Jimmy jamming half the time with others while in Zep, and he really doesn't

play all that good, at least nowhere near Zep intensity. Clapton, Eczema, maybe Page has something like that, my problem,

all prevent practice time.

He is done,  but how done?  The true test would be if Robert were to give the thumps up to a
handful of Zeppelin gigs - and by that I mean with Jonesy and Junior.   Not Robert inviting
Jimmy to play the zither while his Space Shifter band mates join in on some Zep songs. Page
has no interest in that.

I know Jimmy will never be put in the luxurious position of turning down a Zeppelin reunion,  
but has the no - go with the guitar playing reached a point to where he actually would say no?
I say it has. The reason as to why is what I can't answer.

I'm not miffed at the thought of him not playing,  it's the way it has been handled over the
last number of years that I find weird?  dishonest? dumb?    What is so hard with telling a music
journalist  "No I won't be returning to the stage to play guitar.  That part of my career  is over.

Actually scratch that.   I wish journalist when interviewing him would stop asking.   Unless he
wants those questions to be asked.  Then I have to wonder what the hell for?   Maybe he feels he
will fade away in the eyes of music world.   How ridiculous of a notion for him to have.   That's
craaaazy talk Jimbo.  You can't just sweep Led Zeppelin  under a rug and forget about them.  Each 
generation is proof of that. 

10 hours ago, blindwillie127 said:

Actually, the Japanese are rather easy to please, but thats not a put down. One thing the Japanese can never be accused of is being jaded, and thats a good thing and I hope that never changes ;)

"Florida audiences ?" yes, we're a strange conglomeration of fuckedupness all around, no retort's from me on that one.:D

Ok , sorry, as I felt it was condescending. And truth is, I actually like Florida and find monster trucks oddly amusing! (-;

On November 21, 2016 at 6:23 AM, SteveAJones said:

It's baffling to me that all this aggravation and subsequent expense of discounting or refunding tickets could've been avoided if Jimmy would've just jammed on a fucking blues number! SMH

... Maybe nobody had the balls to tell him what happened afterwards , the negative articles and TV coverage in Japan, fans comments here and elsewhere etc...  Sometimes I wish at least his kids or girlfriend or a real friend could read this thread (or similar ones) and tell him. But no, he's probably living in a rarefied bubble now , where this distractive noise is filtered out, where it is taken for granted that repeatedly saying "I will perform" and not doing so is OK, where only sycophants are allowed and even appearing as headliner and not playing has become normal... who knows... 

1 hour ago, Kokugikan said:

... Maybe nobody had the balls to tell him what happened afterwards , the negative articles and TV coverage in Japan, fans comments here and elsewhere etc...  Sometimes I wish at least his kids or girlfriend or a real friend could read this thread (or similar ones) and tell him. But no, he's probably living in a rarefied bubble now , where this distractive noise is filtered out, where it is taken for granted that repeatedly saying "I will perform" and not doing so is OK, where only sycophants are allowed and even appearing as headliner and not playing has become normal... who knows... 

You would like to think this might be a bit of kick up the pants for Page, but as you get older, you tend to be more and more I don't give a f*ck what other people think.

I mean he's got a girlfriend young enough to be his granddaughter, so he doesn't care what people think about that, and he's a multi-millionaire.

My prediction is that this will be his modus operandi from hear on in—the odd appearance at awards and attending gigs.

I wouldn't be surprised if he retreats from public life more and more as he gets older.

Archived