Jimmy Page and Joe Elliott to appear at Classic Rock Awards

sam_webmaster

5 hours ago, SteveAJones said:

For the fans, especially the die hards, the real problem here is he swore up and down the last time he was in town that he hoped to return one day to perform for the Japanese. So you can't promote him as co-headliner with Jeff Beck of all people and not generate the expectation he will perform at least one set.  

Clearly he was aware but couldn't care less. If he did he would have simply performed one song to allow everyone to save face, including himself. It was a dick move for Team Rock to assert they never said he would perform, because they never said he wouldn't either. This goes back to Page being under self-management and not having the foresight or wherewithal to avoid a mess before it's made. Any agent or manager worth his weight would have never signed off on the way this event was promoted with regard to Jimmy Page.

The fact he elected not to perform knowing full well he was billed as the co-headliner speaks for itself. Couldn't care less.

Can't argue with your logic. It's a mess and a bloody shame for those that went. 

• 3 weeks later...

Team Rock has gone into administration (bankruptcy).  It may have taken Classic Rock and a few  other publications with it...

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/38370464

One innocently wonders if this awards event and the subsequent fallout may have anything to do with it?  Maybe the straw that broke the camels back?

Anyone in the know out there?

Do not know. But i am sad about the publications. I am still old style, I get a magazine if my bands are in it. Always buy the Everton mag and a newspaper everyday. Others do not because of technology. That is the problem. Why this has happened.

• 2 months later...

I watched a bit of the Awards on Sky Arts at the weekend & have to say, Jimmy Page would've been better giving it a miss altogether, what a load of bollocks it was.

I feel genuinely sorry for anyone who paid good money to go along & watch that shite.

Afterwards, Classic Rock magazine basically admitted that Jimmy was roped in because tickets hadn't been selling. The magazine also claimed that Jimmy 'never intended to play' at the awards - in which case, it would've been simple to say so in advance or put it on the poster. The fact that they didn't do that suggests that the organisers were trying to give the opposite impression and so increase ticket sales further. That spells 's-c-a-m', to me. Somewhat ingenuously, Classic Rock also said that everyone 'hoped' Jimmy would play and, upon his arrival at the venue, they all looked to see if he'd brought a guitar with him! Yeah, right - as if Jimmy's carried his own guitar at any point since 1967!     

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/19/2016 at 7:09 PM, woz70 said:

Team Rock has gone into administration (bankruptcy).  It may have taken Classic Rock and a few  other publications with it...

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/38370464

One innocently wonders if this awards event and the subsequent fallout may have anything to do with it?  Maybe the straw that broke the camels back?

Anyone in the know out there?

They likely filed bankruptcy to avoid a flood of suits like the one filed by the lawyer demanding reimbursement for plane fare and hotel (in addition to the ticket refund that was available).  Liability could have become fairly substantial in a hurry. The bankruptcy dead-ends all claims.  What company would want to go to court against hundreds of people as upset as Steve was/is about this?  They were cheated out of their money!

On 2/21/2017 at 11:33 AM, Brigante said:

Afterwards, Classic Rock magazine basically admitted that Jimmy was roped in because tickets hadn't been selling. The magazine also claimed that Jimmy 'never intended to play' at the awards - in which case, it would've been simple to say so in advance or put it on the poster. The fact that they didn't do that suggests that the organisers were trying to give the opposite impression and so increase ticket sales further. That spells 's-c-a-m', to me. Somewhat ingenuously, Classic Rock also said that everyone 'hoped' Jimmy would play and, upon his arrival at the venue, they all looked to see if he'd brought a guitar with him! Yeah, right - as if Jimmy's carried his own guitar at any point since 1967!     

So if Jimmy straps on a guitar and strums along to "Train Kept a Rollin" and "Beck's Bolero" everybody goes home partially satisfied, nobody gets sued and life goes on, nobody talks about Page being incapable of playing and Team Rock soldiers on for a while longer?   I think I'm reading this correctly.  

Such an incredible disaster. I hope Steve got his refund.  And he's right about Jimmy needing a manager. This could have been easily avoided, and Halfin should have made some effort to let Jimmy know what was expected and what was on the artwork and fliers before they ever got on the plane to Tokyo. A decent manager would have done all that.

As far as Jimmy's ability to play -- a person with a broken fret hand can muddle through Train Kept a Rollin'. SIBLY it is not. an arthritic could easily work up a good rocker solo as well. This disaster shouldn't serve as any comment about where Page's guitar playing is at.

9 hours ago, Mercurious said:

They likely filed bankruptcy to avoid a flood of suits like the one filed by the lawyer demanding reimbursement for plane fare and hotel (in addition to the ticket refund that was available).  Liability could have become fairly substantial in a hurry. The bankruptcy dead-ends all claims.  

Joint administrator Tom MacLennan said Team Rock had traded at a loss “for a significant period of time”.

He continued: “The company explored every option to secure the long-term future of the business, however the constraints on the cash position of the business were such that administration was the only viable option.

“The administration presents an excellent opportunity to acquire high profile rock music titles, products and brands that have a substantial global following. The brands and assets could appeal to a music publishing business looking to expand its portfolio, or an entrepreneur that sees the potential for developing the brands.”

So basically the Classic Rock Awards in Tokyo was the management and a few favored artists milking what was left of the company to throw themselves one last orgy of of ego and vanity. The ethical thing to have done would be to cancel the Tokyo event and use that money to pay the 73 staff who were told the week before Christmas they were out of a job and would not be paid for the month of December. 

2 hours ago, SteveAJones said:

He continued: “The company explored every option to secure the long-term future of the business, however the constraints on the cash position of the business were such that administration was the only viable option.

The article also says "administrators were called in" after the financial difficulties. The article hit the papers the day before the Dec. 20 deadline for ticket refund claims. Then you've got this other suit. The timing is everything.  Did you receive your refund, or did they shaft everybody on that, too?

Edit: Based on the ticket cost range Steve provided, $180 US for the cheapest tix, $3,000 for VIP --  and Team Rock says the "packed 8,000 people" into the venue -- upwards of $2.5 million in ticket sales was generated by Tokyo Super Fraud. 

1 hour ago, Mercurious said:

The article also says "administrators were called in" after the financial difficulties. The article hit the papers the day before the Dec. 20 deadline for ticket refund claims. Then you've got this other suit. The timing is everything.  Did you receive your refund, or did they shaft everybody on that, too?

As far as I know everyone who sought a refund received one, though I don't know how many of the roughly 8,000 attendees pursued one. Dec 20th was the last day to claim a refund, but as I understand it refund claims were being processed on a first come, first served basis up until that point. Alternatively, they were also offering discounted tickets for next year's event instead of claiming a refund. It's got to be a slap in the face to those who went that route to have the company fold as it did the day before the claim window ended. Team Rock had to know they were drowning in red ink and offering something they could never deliver.

When I scroll back and read through this thread the anger returns. Page, Halfin, Team Rock--bunch of lying bastards. One day we may forgive but we'll never forget. As for Team Rock, fuck them and the plane they flew in on. If our boycott helped to put them out of business I can only say it served them right.

2 minutes ago, SteveAJones said:

Team Rock had to know they were drowning in red ink and offering something they could never deliver.

When I scroll back and read through this thread the anger returns. Page, Halfin, Team Rock--bunch of lying bastards. One day we may forgive but we'll never forget. As for Team Rock, fuck them and the plane they flew in on. If our boycott helped to put them out of business I can only say it served them right.

I don't blame you one bit. Sorry to bring it all back up.  I did an estimate based on the 8,000 tickets sold and the price range you provided earlier in the thread.  Upwards of $2.5 million (U.S.) revenue was generated by ticket sales alone. A good chunk of that would be enough to keep TeamRock afloat for a while longer.

I wonder how much they got out of KLAB before leaving the country?  And whether KLAB was left holding the bag r.e. the refunds and other suits?  If so, this was massive fraud perpetuated upon the people of Tokyo, with the Team Rock employees sacrificed to protect the crooks from liability.   

The more likely scenario seem to be that KLAB + Team Rock were trying to clean up the mess and do the right thing but Team Rock realized (or were advised) that the damage had been done, the business was doomed, and that .it was best to get out while the getting was good enough to stay rich. None of the laid off 73 employees received a dime of severance pay, I read.  Disgusting.

1 hour ago, Mercurious said:

I wonder how much they got out of KLAB before leaving the country?  And whether KLAB was left holding the bag r.e. the refunds and other suits?  If so, this was massive fraud perpetuated upon the people of Tokyo, with the Team Rock employees sacrificed to protect the crooks from liability.   

The more likely scenario seem to be that KLAB + Team Rock were trying to clean up the mess and do the right thing but Team Rock realized (or were advised) that the damage had been done, the business was doomed, and that .it was best to get out while the getting was good enough to stay rich. None of the laid off 73 employees received a dime of severance pay, I read.  Disgusting.

KLAB was in over their head (promoting concerts is not their niche, they're mostly involved with the computer gaming industry) and may have been set up to take the fall. It's Interesting that their original statement was retracted, and refunds were offered soon after. 

Okay sorry to do this,  but I have to back this thread up as ask:  What the hell is Ross Halfin's
role to Jimmy?  He is a photographer correct ?  Why is he making decisions for Page.  Yes okay I
realize technically he's not,  but it feels like Jimmy trusts this man as far as certain aspects of his
career go.  I'm probably so off base,  but it seems as though  a lot of the decisions Jimmy has
made for the past year or so have Ross's hands involved.   Why?   I would hate if deep down
Page wanted to try and play but someone  or something was getting into his head and making
him feel like it wasn't a wise choice anymore.    This is where you wonder if Peter Grant was
alive and still part of the game -  would Jimmy be spending his time at poetry events and in
front of Flaming June over being in a studio and/or playing guitar again.  I'm not saying those
things can't be of interest,  but not  the only things that make up  "Jimmy Page news"  these
days.  

8 hours ago, KellyGirl said:

Okay sorry to do this,  but I have to back this thread up as ask:  What the hell is Ross Halfin's role to Jimmy?  

Ross Halfin was a co-organizer for the Classic Rock Awards in Tokyo, and it was thru him that Jimmy Page's involvement was secured.

• 1 year later...

Nearly two years later and the hard feelings linger. Even so, I was downtown earlier this week and acquired a couple sets of this paper called The Rock Club. I'm not sure exactly what these were as I don't remember seeing them at the time. The Sankei Shimbun is a daily Japanese newspaper, but this seems to be something they published just for the Classic Rock Awards in Tokyo, and was probably presented to concert attendees as they arrived. If anyone remembers anything about these papers feel free to post comments.

The Rock Club newspaper with three different full page supplements.

2016 11 11 Sankei Shimbun The Rock Club (Tokyo, Japan) (Front Cover).jpg

2016 11 11 Sankei Shimbun The Rock Club (Tokyo, Japan) (insert 1 of 3).jpg

2016 11 11 Sankei Shimbun The Rock Club (Tokyo, Japan) (insert 2 of 3).jpg

2016 11 11 Sankei Shimbun The Rock Club (Tokyo, Japan) (insert 3 of 3).jpg

2 hours ago, bluecongo said:

This fiasco is what finally convinced me Page is retired and unable/unwilling to perform 

End of the road that night for me as well. I lost all hope he will ever perform in public again, nor do anything whatsoever as a solo artist.

2 hours ago, SteveAJones said:

End of the road that night for me as well. I lost all hope he will ever perform in public again, nor do anything whatsoever as a solo artist.

It’s sad to think, but i’d Have to agree. 

I hope I’m wrong, but I don’t see him doing anything else. We got the O2 and the Seattle Awards a few years ago. 

R😎

Steve, The Rock Club and there is another title that are usually given out free outside venues or if inside it is a "please take one" next to the merchandise. Are there band/gig listings inside? because from the pictures this looks like it was related to this specific event which unusual. It is just a paper not programme.?

The paper also has the Pony Canyon logo on the top right so did this get shown on TV here, I know the thread was from a while ago and I cannot remember, might have been Fuji TV.

Anyway that is about all I can help out on this one.

4 hours ago, Cecil. said:

Steve, The Rock Club and there is another title that are usually given out free outside venues or if inside it is a "please take one" next to the merchandise. Are there band/gig listings inside? because from the pictures this looks like it was related to this specific event which unusual. It is just a paper not programme.?

The paper also has the Pony Canyon logo on the top right so did this get shown on TV here, I know the thread was from a while ago and I cannot remember, might have been Fuji TV.

Anyway that is about all I can help out on this one.

Thanks, Cecil. No band/gig listings inside. The content is almost strictly focused on the artists who were participating in the Classic Rock Awards event in Tokyo on 11/11/16. There is only one advertisement and it's for Classic Rock. I do believe there were some highlight clips shown on Japanese television. So based on your recollection it seems this was a free take one publication available at the venue on the night.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/9/2018 at 2:00 AM, SteveAJones said:

Thanks, Cecil. No band/gig listings inside. The content is almost strictly focused on the artists who were participating in the Classic Rock Awards event in Tokyo on 11/11/16. There is only one advertisement and it's for Classic Rock. I do believe there were some highlight clips shown on Japanese television. So based on your recollection it seems this was a free take one publication available at the venue on the night.  

All I can add is the front cover has 3000 Yen listed as a price, so I thought maybe it was a programme.

I did not attend the show, but every artist who attended would have had a visa relating to performing or just visiting the country, so maybe it was down to whoever came up with the promo banner.

2 hours ago, Cecil. said:

All I can add is the front cover has 3000 Yen listed as a price, so I thought maybe it was a programme.

Yes! I too noted that and thought the same when I obtained them earlier this month but upon further reflection 3,000 yen seems far too high for what is basically a newspaper-style supplement. Most event programs around that price point are printed on glossy cardboard stock. Perhaps gouging (as well as false advertising) was the order of the day for this event. There's an interview with Jimmy Sakurai (Mr. Jimmy) on the back cover. I'll inquire with him what he recalls about it. 

On 11/7/2018 at 7:34 AM, bluecongo said:

This fiasco is what finally convinced me Page is retired and unable/unwilling to perform 

This and something else that happened...or I should say "did not happen"...about the same time. The Temple of the Dog reunion tour was winding down and Jimmy Page was in Seattle the night the tour hit Seattle. Temple had been playing "Achilles Last Stand" all tour. What could be cooler than having Jimmy Page himself join them on stage?

Of course it did not happen. I doubt he even attended the concert. Christ, it's so fucking sad and pathetic that I have seen Johnny Depp on stage playing (errr, attempting to play) guitar more than I have Jimmy Page in the 21st Century.

• 1 month later...

Archived