Jimmy Page and Joe Elliott to appear at Classic Rock Awards

sam_webmaster

1 minute ago, SteveAJones said:

Tight But Loose coverage will omit anything that reflects negatively on Jimmy Page or the organizers (which include Ross Halfin) and you can take that to the bank. Dave Lewis is an optimist by nature, but aside from that TBL is what he does for a living now. He cannot afford to fall out of favor with Halfin or Page. I don't have that concern at all. I credit or critique as I see fit, and at the end of the day it's just one man's opinion.  I will say that to his credit, he has allowed me thus far to post negative editorial content to his wall on Facebook, if only to promote broader discussion of the topic. 

Agreed. If you read early TBL when it was Lewis' hobby it was far more objective. As you say, now it's his primary source of income (he did liner notes for BBC sessions) and he's essentially a cheerleader for the band and Page. Still, really respect and value the guy as a person and his content and dedication to the band. I'm hoping he might make a stand on this one.

28 minutes ago, Boleskinner said:

Still, really respect and value the guy as a person and his content and dedication to the band. I'm hoping he might make a stand on this one.

First part: Absolutely. Unequivocally. 100%.

Second part: Highly unlikely, but that's fine. I'm your Huckleberry.  

4 hours ago, SteveAJones said:

Led Zeppelin is music
By which we measure
Our pain
I'll say it again
Led Zeppelin is music
By which we measure
Our pain

I don't believe in Team Rock
I don't believe in websites
I don't believe in promo posters
I don't believe in sound checks
I don't believe in Halfin
I don't believe in Joe (fuckin' Perry)

I don't believe in Jeff

I don't believe in blogs
I don't believe in awards
I don't believe in touchlines
I don't believe in Yoshiki
I don't believe in a guitar project                                                                                                                                    

I don't believe in solo shows
I don't believe in more visits

I don't believe a word he says

I just believe in me
Yuko Oshima and me
And that's reality

The dream is over
What can I say?
The dream is over
Yesterday
I was the dream weaver
But now I'm reborn
I was the Sorcerer's Apprentice
But now I'm just Steve
And so dear friends
You just have to carry on
The dream is over

tumblr_m0lwsrNI9Q1r2aghwo1_500.jpg

:( wow.

This is what happens when you tell lies, children.  Even your most ardent and loyal supporters become disillusioned, and will eventually say "enough is enough".

He really needs to quit with the 'next year...' bullshit and either shut up, or tell the world he has retired.  It's quite simple really.

1 hour ago, woz70 said:

:( wow.

This is what happens when you tell lies, children.  Even your most ardent and loyal supporters become disillusioned, and will eventually say "enough is enough".

He really needs to quit with the 'next year...' bullshit and either shut up, or tell the world he has retired.  It's quite simple really.

The lie was the promo poster, nothing to do with Page, he probably knew nothing about it. TBH I could not care less, did not think he would perform anyway. Any that made a long journey, spent shitloads of money to get there on will he won't he play has more money than sense.

We all knew Page would not be playing his own set, and at best he would be joining the all star jam at the end. Seeing Page in an all star jam is something that I personally have no interest in. We all know what goes down with that routine. Would have been nice to just see Page on a stage with a guitar on again though, I guess. 

It has EVERYTHING to do with Page. Page under self-management is the root cause of so many disappointments/fails I've lost count.

It leads to things like taking the top billing on promo materials because the fan-hating, jaded photographer he rolls with is also the event co-organizer.

It leads to things like Japanese fans being told they should try drilling down into a fan-run, English language email list for info instead of being able to trust the event promoter and co-sponsors.

It leads to things like some of his most loyal fans in a major, big league market walking out afterward uttering "It leaves a bad taste", "Ripoff" and "Fraud".

It leads to things like peanut gallery pronouncements that anyone who traveled from afar at the considerable expense of time, effort and money to do so on a will he won't he play has more money than sense.

WELL, THAT'S THE POINT! There was no will he or won't he given the promotional materials as well as the event's official online blog, website and ticketing site content. No one was expecting Jimmy Page to deliver two hours of duck walks and lazers but a five minute encore jam is not unreasonable to expect given tickets at face value ranged from $180.00 USD to over $1,200.00 USD?

No one pays that kind of money to watch Jimmy Page hand another goblet to Jeff Beck, THAT'S why they purposefully duped people.

The award for ONLY PERFORMING ARTIST ON THE BILL WHO FAILED TO PERFORM goes to the co-headliner, Jimmy Page. Accepting the award on his behalf is his manager, Jimmy Page, accomplice Ross Halfin and all the devious, unscrupulous liars at TeamRock.com.

6 minutes ago, SteveAJones said:

It has EVERYTHING to do with Page. Page under self-management is the root cause of so many disappointments/fails I've lost count.

It leads to things like taking the top billing on promo materials because the fan-hating, jaded photographer he rolls with is also the event co-organizer.

It leads to things like Japanese fans being told they should try drilling down into a fan-run, English language email list for info instead of being able to trust the event promoter and co-sponsors.

It leads to things like some of his most loyal fans in a major, big league market walking out afterward uttering "It leaves a bad taste", "Ripoff" and "Fraud".

It leads to things like peanut gallery pronouncements that anyone who traveled from afar at the considerable expense of time, effort and money to do so on a will he won't he play has more money than sense.

WELL, THAT'S THE POINT! There was no will he or won't he given the promotional materials as well as the event's official online blog, website and ticketing site content. No one was expecting Jimmy Page to deliver two hours of duck walks and lazers but a five minute encore jam is not unreasonable to expect given tickets at face value ranged from $180.00 USD to over $1,200.00 USD?

No one pays that kind of money to watch Jimmy Page hand another goblet to Jeff Beck, THAT'S why they purposefully duped people.

The award for ONLY PERFORMING ARTIST ON THE BILL WHO FAILED TO PERFORM goes to the co-headliner, Jimmy Page. Accepting the award on his behalf is his manager, Jimmy Page, accomplice Ross Halfin and all the devious, unscrupulous liars at TeamRock.com.

"a five minute encore jam is not unreasonable to expect". This is true. But its also not something to get too bent out of shape over either. Those jams always suck anyways and definitely not worth ever getting excited over, with or without Jimmy Page being there. However, you are right in being pissed off as the promotion was misleading and uncalled for. 

This was all so predictable. Love the man, but honesty is not Jimmy's strong suit. I have not posted a word about this until today, and largely because I knew in my heart that a performance was not in the cards. Honesty and integrity are qualities that guide my life, and Page has continued to disappoint, year after year, playing with the emotions and hopes of his fans. And don't think for one second that he didn't know about the promo material. The Halfin connection belies that fact, and Page has not come forward in the last couple of days to apologize, clarify, or set the record straight for those who believed that he would perform. Sadly, I'm disgusted. Again. 

So who else with top billing on the poster didn't play?

dont think many of us expected page to play he's used that card too many times now it's a yearly event like Christmas 

this years message will be ..... I've been practicing and going in a new direction with new music and new band and will tour this year

2008-no

2009-no

2010- no

2011- no

2012-no

do you see a pattern emerging?

16 minutes ago, RIP-IT-UP said:

But really, would anyone REALLY have wanted to see another tired  "all-star jam" version of "Train" for the millionth time...with all the comments of Beck blowing a rusty Page off the stage...its over and has been for Jimmy since 1998.

Yes.  With Jimmy, Jeff Beck and Joe Perry there, Train would have been a perfect choice.

Maybe there's an explanation. 

4 hours ago, blindwillie127 said:

"a five minute encore jam is not unreasonable to expect". This is true. But its also not something to get too bent out of shape over either. Those jams always suck anyways and definitely not worth ever getting excited over, with or without Jimmy Page being there. However, you are right in being pissed off as the promotion was misleading and uncalled for. 

A person might get bent out of shape about this if they'd spent hundreds of bucks on a ticket.

I am sensing a lot of anger here. I admit...I completely forgot about this event after it was announced.

All I had to see were the words "Classic Rock Awards" and "Joe Elliott" and my interest meter went south. Classic Rock magazine bores me most of the time, and Joe Elliott/Def Leppard mean nothing to me anymore.

If Jimmy Page isn't handing an award to Jeff Beck, then it's Jeff Beck handing an award to Jimmy Page. It's all a little self-congratulatory and ultimately meaningless. Ten years from now Classic Rock magazine will probably be out of business.

So, once I read the announcement Sam posted, I just shrugged my shoulders, "oh...another boring awards show", and moved on. I had no doubt he would not play and therefore put it out of my mind. The day of the event came and went with nary an acknowledgement by me.

If a friend had not mentioned the brouhaha being posted here in the aftermath of the awards show, I would have been ignorant of the whole matter. I am sorry for those who spent a ton of money to go to Japan for this thing, but Jimmy's non-playing appearance does not surprise me one bit.

You can say it's his nerves, or his arthritus, or any one of a hundred excuses. The simple fact is that impromptu performances have not been Jimmy's style for quite some time...especially on award shows.

I have long made peace with that, so I can't work up the anger you all have over this latest award show no-go.

29 minutes ago, Strider said:

I am sensing a lot of anger here. I admit...I completely forgot about this event after it was announced.

All I had to see were the words "Classic Rock Awards" and "Joe Elliott" and my interest meter went south. Classic Rock magazine bores me most of the time, and Joe Elliott/Def Leppard mean nothing to me anymore.

If Jimmy Page isn't handing an award to Jeff Beck, then it's Jeff Beck handing an award to Jimmy Page. It's all a little self-congratulatory and ultimately meaningless. Ten years from now Classic Rock magazine will probably be out of business.

So, once I read the announcement Sam posted, I just shrugged my shoulders, "oh...another boring awards show", and moved on. I had no doubt he would not play and therefore put it out of my mind. The day of the event came and went with nary an acknowledgement by me.

If a friend had not mentioned the brouhaha being posted here in the aftermath of the awards show, I would have been ignorant of the whole matter. I am sorry for those who spent a ton of money to go to Japan for this thing, but Jimmy's non-playing appearance does not surprise me one bit.

You can say it's his nerves, or his arthritus, or any one of a hundred excuses. The simple fact is that impromptu performances have not been Jimmy's style for quite some time...especially on award shows.

I have long made peace with that, so I can't work up the anger you all have over this latest award show no-go.

As you say you haven't paid any attention to this you were obviously unaware that Jimmy was advertised as a co headlining performer. The fact that he didn't perform and made absolutely no effort to indicate that he wouldn't is what has got peoples backs up.

Fine, you ( and many others) can now come here any say how you never expected him to play but THE FACT remains that he was ADVERTISED TO PLAY and he and Classic Rock had plenty of time to make it clear that this was not the case.

3 hours ago, Strider said:

You have made my point for me on a number of levels. The Classic Rock Awards in and of themselves are meaningless. What makes these events of interest to music enthusiasts is the live performances which offer an opportunity to introduce artists to the public, reunite favorites and build upon the anticipation that anything could happen during the encores. By virtue of the fact you did not make the effort to attend this one suggests you are not as invested in the outcome as those who did.

On behalf of those who did, I'm simply sharing the prevailing sentiment that this event did not live up to the hyperbolic sales pitch Team Rock made with regard to this occasion being a "once in a lifetime event" (with tickets priced accordingly). To promote this as they did with JIMMY PAGE as CO-HEADLINER and as an "ARTIST SCHEDULED TO PERFORM" is a fraud.

If Jimmy should ever return to Japan I humbly suggest he be content to just accept gifts and collect bootlegs and leave out blowing smoke up the media's ass and ripping off fans for the sake of ego, vanity and furthering someone else's agenda. Given everything said the last time in town about hoping to return one day to perform he was obliged to make good on it.

I know it's a bit of a hard pill to swallow and being let down but it's not like everything in life we are told is always the truth.  The world is full of dis-information with pieces of the puzzle scattered all over the place.  Jimmy never came out personally and announced he was playing.  Even though it's odd he never personally cleared things up

Paul McCartney is still playing the guitar and seems to be having a jolly good ole' time.  Heck maybe if we are all good enough in the world we may just see Paul and Jimmy play together ?

So one poster lists Jimmy along with Jeff but the other poster doesn't even list Jimmy. Hmmm that may have been a clue there was some doubt as to his performing or not. Wouldn't you think?

With all of your contacts Steve didn't anyone give you a heads up he wasn't performing? The rehearsal and sound check pics didn't show him holding  guitar so that should've been a big clue also.  

4 hours ago, SymphonyX said:

I know it's a bit of a hard pill to swallow and being let down but it's not like everything in life we are told is always the truth.  The world is full of dis-information with pieces of the puzzle scattered all over the place.  Jimmy never came out personally and announced he was playing.  Even though it's odd he never personally cleared things up

Paul McCartney is still playing the guitar and seems to be having a jolly good ole' time.  Heck maybe if we are all good enough in the world we may just see Paul and Jimmy play together ?

Listening to an 70's interview with Paul talking about how he moved on from the Beatles and their legacy to start a new career in music. He was asked if he ever considered building a "super group" at the time. Paul said that it could have been an avenue to go down. He referenced (as a what if scenario) getting Jimmy Page and John Bonham in the new group. He thought that was too big a task to undertake and just decided to quietly tour with his wife and a new band around the UK area

1 hour ago, StringBender said:

So one poster lists Jimmy along with Jeff but the other poster doesn't even list Jimmy. Hmmm that may have been a clue there was some doubt as to his performing or not. Wouldn't you think?

With all of your contacts Steve didn't anyone give you a heads up he wasn't performing? The rehearsal and sound check pics didn't show him holding  guitar so that should've been a big clue also.  

Fuck sake. I did that, hence FTFY  (Fixed That For You)  Team Rock. Aside from that, I have already said I'm speaking on behalf of Japanese attendees who felt it was "in poor taste"..."rip off"...and a "fraud". Jimmy wants to take a self-management approach more power to him, but he can do his own publicity and public relations as well. I cannot defend him any longer, and I'm not about to clean up this fucking mess (nor sweep it under the carpet). 

19 minutes ago, sixpense said:

Listening to an 70's interview with Paul talking about how he moved on from the Beatles and their legacy to start a new career in music. He was asked if he ever considered building a "super group" at the time. Paul said that it could have been an avenue to go down. He referenced (as a what if scenario) getting Jimmy Page and John Bonham in the new group. He thought that was too big a task to undertake and just decided to quietly tour with his wife and a new band around the UK area

Seems to me that's a thinly-veiled put down of Led Zeppelin, who were sort of becoming the biggest band in the world. Aside from that, why would he want to put himself into a super group after having just left a band that broke up over artistic differences and personality clashes? No, he would want to do exactly what he did, which is do his own thing, eventually evolving into a band (Wings) he felt at home with.

To bring this back on topic, perhaps next year Team Rock can co-headline McCartney with Page, but have neither of them perform. Then, in two years time, promote a show and have no one perform. Call it the Halfin's Humor Series. 

Archived