Chasing Page....

KCFrets

Hello All:

New to the forum TODAY and hope this post is in the right section. I need CURRENT BEST recommendations for an alternate for a my overkill rig (Randall Satan [6L6 & KT88s] & 1960a GT-75s) to do some Page-era covers. Looking for something to run behind my Fulltone OCD and/or JHS Superbolt (V2). Using a LP Traditional solid body (all 10 lbs of her); 57 & 57 Plus. 

Looking for the Zep II-IV vibe.

I know this question has been asked a 1000 times, however there are new alternatives that makes the question current. Thinking of the following combos; ANY input or alternatives appreciated:

1. Supro Thunderbolt or 1624T (limited flexibility?)
2. Orange TH30
3. Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue or Jr.
4. Fender Deluxe '65 Reissue.

One thing: I prefer to be able to cut the Mids....know that (for example) the Reverb has no mid control.

Thanks; appreciate the help.

Randy

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hmm,I wonder if you're confusing apples with oranges. Page's  sound relies on a pronounced mid-range hump. Scooping the mids will move you far from the tone of Page. If that's the case, it does not seem useful to ask what gear would sound like Page from the era in question. 

Cut mids sounds great with no other instruments. With a band, the mids are where the guitar cuts through the mix for those searing solos and avoids being lost in the mud for the grinding rhythms. The bass and drums get the low end, teh cymbals and synth get the highs, and the vocals and guitars get the mids.

Best of luck, and hope this helps sort things out!

Archived