Eddie kramer talkin' bout Zeppelin

5 hours ago, chillumpuffer said:

What a guy. He is without doubt the greatest man who ever mixed or recorded rock music. He would be my number one man who I would invite around the dinner table

Agreed.. with Martin Birch and Todd Rundgren not very far behind.

he did capture imo the greatest Bonham mix with only 3 mics.. Dyer Maker..not the best song but those drums sound unreal   

1 hour ago, the chase said:

Agreed.. with Martin Birch and Todd Rundgren not very far behind.

he did capture imo the greatest Bonham mix with only 3 mics.. Dyer Maker..not the best song but those drums sound unreal   

yeah Martin Birch engineered THE greatest live album of all time and Todd's production techniques were far ahead of the times. My only slight criticism of Todd is that when he produces other people, they do sound like a Todd album. I am a big fan, Mrs CP hates him

5 hours ago, chillumpuffer said:

yeah Martin Birch engineered THE greatest live album of all time and Todd's production techniques were far ahead of the times. My only slight criticism of Todd is that when he produces other people, they do sound like a Todd album. I am a big fan, Mrs CP hates him

I rank Todd up there with Zappa and Bowie as one of great eclectic musical geniuses of our time. I met him a few years ago. He was very cool and approachable. No doubt way ahead of his time and with Bat Out Of Hell money in the bank, can do whatever he wants.. 

On 10/5/2016 at 3:28 AM, babysquid said:

Hmmm... I'd heard that it was something to do with his surname and Percy Thrower a well known tv gardener at the time. 

It was total British humor.  It was a combination of the well-known British TV gardener, Percy Thrower (Plant-Gardening) plus a British sex-romp movie of the time, Percy's Progress.  There was a whole slew of these sex-romp movies during this period, most famously "Confessions of a Window Cleaner".  Percy's Progress (look it up) was an apt link to Plant's tour life. 

Edited by NealR2000

15 hours ago, babysquid said:

Also I don't think the Percy Plant tv character ever existed. Is he confusing it with the flowerpot men?

I think old Eddie's mind is playing tricks with him.  I was around at the time in the UK and there were no Percy Plant TV character.  The whole Percy Thrower and Percy's Progress connection was well publicized in the 70s.  If anyone hasn't researched Percy Progress, the sex romp is all about this man called Percy who ends up being the only sexually fertile man in the world, and the Govt try to get him to single handedly re-populate the world. 

To me, the most interesting thing Kramer has to say here is that when it came time to mix TSRTS he thought the vocals were weak and tried to get Plant to "re-do" some of it in the studio...Plant refused. Kudos to Plant for that, but, I doubt his voice was in any better shape at that point in time anyways. Personally, I've never had a problem with Plant's vocals from TSRTS/1973 era. Sure, it was rough around the edges, but I think it blows away 'everything' he ever did after that. I'm talking in a purely live context here. 

Edited by blindwillie127

• 3 years later...