Hurricane Matthew

Reggie29

My wife's parents are in Ocala.  In land a bit from Orlando but they were no doubt hit by the western edge of this.  So we have not talked to them yet.  .They have sold the house and are moving back here to NY where they have already bought a house 3 miles from us.   ^_^ I hope they do not sustain damage to the house as its sold.  I wonder if the power has been lost down there anywhere?  Maybe some of our friends down there can tell.  I know Paul is near the center of the storm which is hitting the Jacksonville area right now.  Good luck down there!

Over-hyped storm pertaining to Central Florida and the USA. Central Florida and places like Orlando got some rain and some power outages. Welcome to the real world, Central FL. Too much drama, Orlando. I think "Harry Potter's World - Exhibit" at Disney was shut down.

Matthew weakened into a Category 2 storm by Friday night. Haiti got the worst of it, so far. Now it's in Georgia. Well over-hyped for the first major hurricane in the US in over 10 years. It was only to be something politicized, Thank Goodness!

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/text/refresh/MIATCPAT4+shtml/051143.shtml

BULLETIN HURRICANE MATTHEW INTERMEDIATE ADVISORY NUMBER 41A NWS NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER MIAMI FL AL142016 800 AM EDT SAT OCT 08 2016 ...STRONG WINDS AND DANGEROUS STORM SURGE AFFECTING THE COAST OF SOUTH CAROLINA... ...HEAVY RAINS AND GUSTY WINDS SPREADING INLAND...

SUMMARY OF 800 AM EDT...1200 UTC...INFORMATION ---------------------------------------------- LOCATION...32.5N 79.8W ABOUT 20 MI...35 KM SSE OF CHARLESTON SOUTH CAROLINA MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS...85 MPH...140 KM/H PRESENT MOVEMENT...NE OR 45 DEGREES AT 12 MPH...19 KM/H MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE...962 MB...28.41 INCHES WATCHES AND WARNINGS -------------------- CHANGES WITH THIS ADVISORY: None. SUMMARY OF WATCHES AND WARNINGS IN EFFECT: A Hurricane Warning is in effect for... * North of Altamaha Sound to Surf City A Hurricane Watch is in effect for... * North of Surf City to Cape Lookout A Tropical Storm Warning is in effect for... * North of Surf City to Duck * Pamlico and Albemarle Sounds

At 800 AM EDT (1200 UTC), the center of Hurricane Matthew was located by NOAA Doppler weather radars, and an Air Force Reserve Hurricane Hunter aircraft, near latitude 32.5 North, longitude 79.8 West. Matthew is moving toward the northeast near 12 mph (19 km/h), and this general motion is expected to continue today. On the forecast track, the center of Matthew will continue to move near or over the coast of South Carolina today, and be near the coast of southern North Carolina by tonight. Reports from the reconnaissance aircraft indicate that maximum sustained winds have decreased to near 85 mph (140 km/h) with higher gusts. Although weakening is forecast during the next 48 hours, Matthew is expected to remain a hurricane while the center is near the coasts of South Carolina and North Carolina.

8 hours ago, Strider said:

Hope to hear the Monday aftermath report from Paul and Chuck and any others stuck in Matthew's path. Did y'all make it thru the weekend all right?

Hey Sean, thanks for the concern - yes we made it through the storm fine.  Just spent a few hours in the yard cleaning up the debris and helping out the neighbors on Saturday.  We really dodged a bullet here - the counties next to us took hard hits.  Parts of A1A have been completely torn apart, schools are still closed in Brevard, Volusia, and Flagler counties.  People can't go to their houses without proper qualifying identification.  If the storm had been 50 miles west of where it went - we'd be in the same situation.  Projections are what they are - projections.  This one stayed on the good side of the "cone", for us.

Twelve years ago, Hurricane Charlie was supposed to go through Tampa and instead at the last minute came up the middle of the state and right over our house as a cat 4 landfall.  My in-laws roof ripped off their house and they lived a mile away.  Devistated the city and surrounding area for weeks.  So, you never can tell and have to prepare for the worst.  No time to be a Monday morning quarterback with wife, kids, and property to take care of.

Hope Paul did as well.  

Prayers go out to the folks in the Carolinas and the people of Haiti.  The devistation and loss of life in Haiti is heartbreaking.  The east side of the storm is always the worst.   

Archived