TypeO

Anyone not watching Westworld on HBO is really missing out. And it's only on it's second episode, so it's easy to catch up.

It is super deep and intricate.
Anthony Hopkins, Ed Harris, Thandie Newton, Jeffery Wright - really awesome cast.

Based on the 1970s movie.

Well worth checking out.

Anyone else seen it?

Thoughts?

https://www.discoverwestworld.com/#

We had a free HBO weekend and I caught the first two episodes.  Sorry, I wasn't impressed.  Same old story (robot gone astray), WAY too much unnecessary swearing that did not enhance the dialogue or story line and too many characters to try to figure out which are robots and which are tourists.  Just my opinion, but I won't watch it any further.  

19 hours ago, TypeO said:

Anyone not watching Westworld on HBO is really missing out. And it's only on it's second episode, so it's easy to catch up.

It is super deep and intricate.
Anthony Hopkins, Ed Harris, Thandie Newton, Jeffery Wright - really awesome cast.

Based on the 1970s movie.

Well worth checking out.

Anyone else seen it?

Thoughts?

https://www.discoverwestworld.com/#

I saw the advertisements.  Now I'll have to check it out.  Looks good! 

:peace: 

I really like it and am anxious to see where it is going. I figure the whole idea is what is self-awareness, consciousness, identity and can humans become as god in a strange sort of way. Of course there is the flip side, what are WE? When the creator looks into the eye of the created what is reflected back at the creator? Are we thus greater through our accomplishment or rather diminished in light of the possibility of the achievement being greater than the creator?

I love all that philosophical shit so I am looking forward as to how this progresses.

On 10/14/2016 at 9:23 AM, Stryder1978 said:

We had a free HBO weekend and I caught the first two episodes.  Sorry, I wasn't impressed.  Same old story (robot gone astray), WAY too much unnecessary swearing that did not enhance the dialogue or story line and too many characters to try to figure out which are robots and which are tourists.  Just my opinion, but I won't watch it any further.  

I actually feel silly saying this, but I honestly don't remember swearing in the show.

On 10/14/2016 at 2:26 PM, bluecongo said:

I LOVE it so far! 

?

On 10/14/2016 at 5:23 PM, Walter said:

I saw the advertisements.  Now I'll have to check it out.  Looks good! 

:peace: 

?

21 hours ago, IpMan said:

I really like it and am anxious to see where it is going. I figure the whole idea is what is self-awareness, consciousness, identity and can humans become as god in a strange sort of way. Of course there is the flip side, what are WE? When the creator looks into the eye of the created what is reflected back at the creator? Are we thus greater through our accomplishment or rather diminished in light of the possibility of the achievement being greater than the creator?

I love all that philosophical shit so I am looking forward as to how this progresses.

As am I.

Much like your response, I have run across really detailed and amazing theories as to where it's going and what's truly going on, a lot of it quite honestly beyond what I had grasped of it so far.

But it is without a doubt one of the most thought-provoking shows I've seen lately, and I really love the dynamic between Anthony Hopkins and Jeffrey Wright.

Really looking forward to episode 3 tomorrow night.

14 hours ago, TypeO said:

I actually feel silly saying this, but I honestly don't remember swearing in the show.

?

?

As am I.

Much like your response, I have run across really detailed and amazing theories as to where it's going and what's truly going on, a lot of it quite honestly beyond what I had grasped of it so far.

But it is without a doubt one of the most thought-provoking shows I've seen lately, and I really love the dynamic between Anthony Hopkins and Jeffrey Wright.

Really looking forward to episode 3 tomorrow night.

The Hopkins / Wright dynamic is both sublime and electric, two very gifted actors. Really liked Wright in Boardwalk Empire as Dr. Narcesse, what a great character and one of many Mr. Wright has created over the years. 

On 10/16/2016 at 8:22 AM, bluecongo said:

I have a theory.

"These violent delights have violent ends" is a command code that triggers something inside the androids.

kinda like when they say "go into a dreamless slumber" makes them shut down.

Wtf is the Maze?

Not sure, but it's traced inside the scalps of various hosts.

On 10/16/2016 at 8:36 AM, Walter said:

Caught episode 2 yesterday.  Very intriguing.

?

On 10/16/2016 at 2:25 PM, IpMan said:

The Hopkins / Wright dynamic is both sublime and electric, two very gifted actors. Really liked Wright in Boardwalk Empire as Dr. Narcesse, what a great character and one of many Mr. Wright has created over the years. 

I'm also intrigued by the Ed Harris character. It would appear he's some kind of high-ranking/elite customer that has been there a long time.

Another question is the location of Westworld. Episode 3 really drew attention to the mystery of its physical location. When the programmers are watching in that holographic-type view, it gives the impression they are far away. Yet they routinely repair and re-insert hosts on what appears to be a daily basis.

I'm beginning to wonder if there's some kind of portal they traverse to get there. In episode 2, the 2 guys are on a train and it's like suddenly they're looking out the window at the park, like they translated through some kind of dimensional portal.

Did I mention how much I love this show?

LOL

On 10/14/2016 at 9:23 AM, Stryder1978 said:

Yeah, after rewatching some episodes, there's a degree of swearing, but I don't regard it as particularly gratuitous.

As for the storyline, the fact that it's difficult to distinguish hosts from actual humans is what I find so interesting.

Where's Yul Brynner?

Ok. It's not as bad as I feared it would be...although I still feel there are way too many remakes and reboots going on. I do like Ed Harris and Jeffrey Wright. Jeffrey Wright is one of the most unsung actors around today...I wish he was used more often.

So I will continue to give it a shot. It's far far better than Fox's lame "Rocky Horror Picture Show" remake.

12 minutes ago, Strider said:

Where's Yul Brynner?

Ok. It's not as bad as I feared it would be...although I still feel there are way too many remakes and reboots going on. I do like Ed Harris and Jeffrey Wright. Jeffrey Wright is one of the most unsung actors around today...I wish he was used more often.

So I will continue to give it a shot. It's far far better than Fox's lame "Rocky Horror Picture Show" remake.

Fox made a RHPS remake? BLASPHEMY 

2 hours ago, Strider said:

Where's Yul Brynner?

?

Here's the subtlety I love about this show -

Anyone notice what one of the songs playing on the player piano in the 1st episode was? I didn't pay it a lot if mind at first, since I was watching the action. Yet, I kept getting drawn back to the song and realized it was familiar. It finally hit me - Black Hole Sun by Soundgarden! But it was so discordantly out of place on the piano in a Western setting, it took awhile to recognize it. And the moment it hit me was sublime.

From what I've been reading, things are really about to break loose beginning with the next (5th) episode.
One theory is that Bernard (Jeffrey Wright) is, himself, a host, albeit an infinitely more complex one, since he's the main programmer.

tl-horizontal_main.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

I can say beyond a certainty. after watching last night's Episode 9, I have never been so happy to have taken up watching a TV show.
This is the absolute coolest, most intellectually stimulating show I've ever seen.
The acting is incredible - the cast all seem to realize how awesome it is.
It literally feels like watching a 10-part movie.

<<< SPOILER ALERT >>>

Thandie Newton as Maeve is sofa king badass.
This scene last night made my head asplode.
FREEZE ALL MOTOR FUNCTIONS.
MOST BADASS. LINE. EVER.

I fuckin' died.

westworld0004_1.jpg

This show is just getting better and better...the Bernard / Arnold thing I did not see coming. Though what I am curious about is the corporate people running about, constantly saying, "what, you think this parks tech is for entertainment only? There are practical applications to consider." It appears the park may have been designed as a research facility for the droids which actually pays for itself in real time by using these "prototypes" in this setting. However the Ford character obviously has other ideas and has been stringing corporate along for some time. And Arnold, looks like he was seeking the ultimate prize...the meaning of life and what exactly is consciousness. Thus, is Arnold the "ghost in the machine?"

14 hours ago, IpMan said:

This show is just getting better and better...the Bernard / Arnold thing I did not see coming. Though what I am curious about is the corporate people running about, constantly saying, "what, you think this parks tech is for entertainment only? There are practical applications to consider." It appears the park may have been designed as a research facility for the droids which actually pays for itself in real time by using these "prototypes" in this setting. However the Ford character obviously has other ideas and has been stringing corporate along for some time. And Arnold, looks like he was seeking the ultimate prize...the meaning of life and what exactly is consciousness. Thus, is Arnold the "ghost in the machine?"

Very astute, I have no problems with that summary.

The theory I'm beginning to believe is that Maeve's revolt is Ford's new narrative.
I read it in a \W/ group on Facebook, and it's sounding very plausible the more I re-watch this last episode.

Of course, I created a Maeve meme from episode 9.

MaeveBernard.jpg

• 6 months later...

Archived