Vibraharp, or vibraphone, if you will

ledzepfvr

Does anyone play this instrument?  I recently acquired my grandfather's 1929 Deagen vibraharp and since I am the keeper of this not so ordinary instrument ,I want to learn to play it. I wish I had shown more interest when he was alive but did enjoy listening to his beautiful playing at Christmas and Easter. I came across this video as my inspiration to set a goal.

Edited by ledzepfvr
Spelling

Excellent....I have been watching a lot of videos of playing and techniques. It is definitely a coordinated art getting used to the 4 mallet manipulation and using my left hand. Oh and learning music theory from the beginning.  

Thought I would post a pic of my vibraharp. Not a great one as the notepad does not have a flash. Couldn't get the cool  pearlized celluloid trim. 

Bought a book...Idiots guide to music theory . Leaning a lot. Focusing on songs for Christmas. The little drummer boy is one of my favorites and not to difficult.

IMG_20161024_192106.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

So I've been learning 3Christmas songs. Little drummer boy, Deck the halls and we wish you a merry christmas. Gonna leave it at that for now. Don't want to overwhelm myself. 

I found two books to put on my Christmas list. One is Christmas songs and I found a virbraharp  book of Beatles songs. Now if I could find Led Zeppelin on the vibraharp I'd be a real happy girl.  Think Jimmy would consider arranging it. Songs I'd like .....Stairway to heaven and Thank you.  What other songs would be good?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

So I got the book for Christmas and tried playing a couple of songs. Got discouraged because it's too advanced for me. Didn't play for a couple of weeks. Decided to pick a couple of simpler songs with a goal. America the beautiful and The Star Spangled Banner by 4th of July. Back to practice and patience.

• 3 months later...
  • 4 years later...

Just stumbled onto this page. Don't get the Led Zep connection, but I'll look into it. My fav band along with Queen! I have spent my whole life playing the vibes professionally. It was nice to come here and see your story about getting the vibes and learning a few tunes in 3 months! Good job! 

Tony Miceli