Soundboard fragment from Long Beach 6/27/72 ?

porgie66

Does anyone know why there are only three soundboard tracks from Long Beach '72 and their history?  What Is And What Should Never Be, Dancing Days and Moby Dick. IMO, they sound better than any other unofficial board tapes, including any from 73,75,77. They are crystal clear and have a great sense of space that most boards don't have. I love the unprocessed sound way more than HTWWW. Are these multi tracks that sneaked out while HTWWW was being put together? It's interesting that these are the only known board tracks from '72 and they are so damn great sounding. Hoping some of the very knowledgable folks here can comment on this. 

Edited by porgie66

4 hours ago, Jimmywalnutz said:

http://starship.jpn.ph/zeppelin/beauty/disp/pic.jsp?R_IDX=../../imagesB/SP-005B.jpgd

This has Dancing Days and What Is and What Should,,, I'm not sure of the dates. I have not heard of a SBD  for Moby Dick.

I have it

Led Zeppelin, Long Beach Arena
June 27, 1972, Long Beach, California

Soundboard Recording
Master quads > DAT

1. What Is and What Should Never Be
2. Dancing Days
3. Moby Dick

Edited by juxtiphi

I've wondered the same thing for the same reasons. The quality is excellent and the sense of space is just perfect.

Prior to Moby Dick, Robert introduces Bonham as "the king of the coffee shop"

So, not including the tracks from this show used  on bootleg or as part of the amalgam for HTWWW, that leaves the following full songs from Long Beach yet to see the light of day-

"That's the Way
"Dazed and Confused"
 "Whole Lotta Love" Medley incl. Let That Boy Boogie, Let's Have a Party, Hello Mary Lou, Blueberry Hill, Going Down Slow
"The Ocean

2 hours ago, juxtiphi said:

I have it

Led Zeppelin, Long Beach Arena
June 27, 1972, Long Beach, California

Soundboard Recording
Master quads > DAT

1. What Is and What Should Never Be
2. Dancing Days
3. Moby Dick

I have this too, as well as the Godfather box set which includes them on the last disc. Moby Dick is incomplete. These must be pre Kevin Shirley and they sound incredible. Where is the rest?? Why no good boards like this from 72? Not one. Seems strange. 

Only one of these 2" multitrack reels 'escaped' from the vaults in 1990s (Reel 3 from Long Beach). This was not a plain soundboard, but a professional recording from a mobile studio(most likely Wally Heider's). Seventies soundboards are either two track  on 1/4" reel to reel or audio cassette. If Moby Dick from the Long Beach show is cut before the coda, this doesn't mean it's incomplete. Sound engineers mostly work with two alternating decks for live recordings....so the Moby Dick coda would be on reel 4

The 30' Long Beach segment  was copied onto DAT and brought into circulation on Scorpio's "Studio Daze" in 1990 and Dynamite Studio's "One more Daze" in 92.  (thanks to Hugh from Proximity and Andy Adams for compiling the full story)

Edited by duckman

16 hours ago, duckman said:

Only one of these 2" multitrack reels 'escaped' from the vaults in 1990s (Reel 3 from Long Beach). This was not a plain soundboard, but a professional recording from a mobile studio(most likely Wally Heider's). Seventies soundboards are either two track  on 1/4" reel to reel or audio cassette. If Moby Dick from the Long Beach show is cut before the coda, this doesn't mean it's incomplete. Sound engineers mostly work with two alternating decks for live recordings....so the Moby Dick coda would be on reel 4

The 30' Long Beach segment  was copied onto DAT and brought into circulation on Scorpio's "Studio Daze" in 1990 and Dynamite Studio's "One more Daze" in 92.  (thanks to Hugh from Proximity and Andy Adams for compiling the full story)

Thanks duckman! Good info. Wish we had the other reels! Or any more boards from 72. 

On 20/10/2016 at 0:58 PM, duckman said:

Amazing! How on earth would you know this? 

Good ol' fashioned fanzines from the nineties, Xolo...Early Days and Latter Days (Andy Adams) a short lived British fanzine covered the what and whereabouts of Scorpio's Studio Daze and Jennings Farm Blues in 1990. At that time only What is and What should Never Be and Dancing Days where released on silver.. But the tape box of the multi track tape clearly mentioned Moby Dick. A few years later Hugh did some research on the origins of these tapes and published an interview in Proximity. 

Edited by duckman

4 hours ago, duckman said:

Good ol' fashioned fanzines from the nineties, Xolo...Early Days and Latter Days (Andy Adams) a short lived British fanzine covered the what and whereabouts of Scorpio's Studio Daze and Jennings Farm Blues in 1990. At that time only What is and What should Never Be and Dancing Days where released on silver.. But the tape box of the multi track tape clearly mentioned Moby Dick. A few years later Hugh did some research on the origins of these tapes and published an interview in Proximity. 

Bloody hell. Thanks mate

Wow,

That s pretty cool. I always assumed Godfather (or the people that would come to start GF) had gotten those tapes somehow. They eventually did use all that material on their label.

I remember reading an article in which Jimmy didn't really mind Bootleg Concerts . I assumed he meant AUD sources, not the Soundboards that had been stolen from him. He made a point to say that stolen Studio Outtakes and Rehearsal tapes is what really bothered him. "With the shows you bought your ticket and , hey, it's fair game" I cant remember the rest verbatim but the  latter (stealing outtakes and rehearsals) was just outright thievery. He made a great point.

2 hours ago, Jimmywalnutz said:

Wow,

That s pretty cool. I always assumed Godfather (or the people that would come to start GF) had gotten those tapes somehow. They eventually did use all that material on their label.

I remember reading an article in which Jimmy didn't really mind Bootleg Concerts . I assumed he meant AUD sources, not the Soundboards that had been stolen from him. He made a point to say that stolen Studio Outtakes and Rehearsal tapes is what really bothered him. "With the shows you bought your ticket and , hey, it's fair game" I cant remember the rest verbatim but the  latter (stealing outtakes and rehearsals) was just outright thievery. He made a great point.

Jimmy has frequently browsed and bought/been given bootleg Zep titles in Tokyo. I'm sure he can't help but go down memory lane, curious to hear certain gigs . 

It always has surprised me a little that Jimmy would be upset that so many Soundboard bootlegs are out there.

The main collector of these surely are the rather hardcore Zep fans that buy whatever is official anyway, and even though I understand being pissed off about the loss of control about what is released, I would have thought that Jimmy would be glad the more stuck on fans, like us mob, had access to SO MUCH Zeppelin material. And it is all so interesting and amazing to hear. I'll listen to this stuff for the rest of my days. I'll buy and listen to whatever is released and LOVE it, but without all the boots, we would ALL be poorer for it.

I hope that doesn't come across as arrogant or selfish. I am sure there is a completely different POV from Jimmy, the owner of the boards that were, I understand, stolen from him. I'm just articulating how lucky I think we all are to have so much of what we love.

Edited by rm2551

• 1 month later...

I attended (almost positive, year in question) this concert and somehow rocket like fireworks lunched from the floor seating maybe 20 or 30 rows from the stage, slightly to stage right. They were checking all the ticketholders for liquor at the checkpoint.

Robert asked the audience to stop the fireworks, and when it continued he threatened the persons responsible that he would stop the concert!!!  the fireworks continued and the band left the stage.

later the house lights come up and the announcer said that the band had left the building. We began stomping our feet in protest and I remember how powerful the sound and feeling of the physical demonstration felt. 

Finally we were convinced to leave the building. we left without aggregation!!! And were meet with what looked like all the Long Beach PD cars in two lines forming a path to the street. The did not interfere with all of us kids.

If anyone has more information or recording I would appreciate it.

32 minutes ago, first concert said:

I attended (almost positive, year in question) this concert and somehow rocket like fireworks lunched from the floor seating maybe 20 or 30 rows from the stage, slightly to stage right. They were checking all the ticketholders for liquor at the checkpoint.

Robert asked the audience to stop the fireworks, and when it continued he threatened the persons responsible that he would stop the concert!!!  the fireworks continued and the band left the stage.

later the house lights come up and the announcer said that the band had left the building. We began stomping our feet in protest and I remember how powerful the sound and feeling of the physical demonstration felt. 

Finally we were convinced to leave the building. we left without aggregation!!! And were meet with what looked like all the Long Beach PD cars in two lines forming a path to the street. The did not interfere with all of us kids.

If anyone has more information or recording I would appreciate it.

If I'm not mistaken, Robert adds the lyric  "No more firecrackers!" within "What Is and What Should Never Be"

On 10/21/2016 at 11:38 AM, porgie66 said:

Jimmy has frequently browsed and bought/been given bootleg Zep titles in Tokyo. I'm sure he can't help but go down memory lane, curious to hear certain gigs . 

I can just imagine Page perusing the Zeppelin bootleg section in a store in Tokyo and spotting this: "Hmm...Tempe 1977. I don't remember this show at all, maybe I should give it a listen!" :lol:

• 3 years later...

When I think back on this release, one of the things I recall vividly is that it contains one of my favorite Plantations ever - as he gives a spiel about fans not digging new songs just before the band bulldozes the crowd with an overpowering version of the then unreleased Dancing Days.  The juxtaposition of that rather weary sounding spiel followed by the powerhouse recording of the band pummeling the audience is indelibly etched in my mind.  Such a wonderful live moment.    

"Thank you. It seems ah, that every time we come to the states, we do something that you ain't heard before. You can't identify with it. Everyone sort of sits there going . . . .  . This is one of those. This is off the new album, and ah, all being well we should have it out before the nights start drawing in because it's like a summery album really, and this is one of the songs from it. It's called Dancing Days."