Immigrant Song Hampton 1971

John M

This version has an extended guitar solo.  I have not heard another one like it.  Has anyone else heard a version with an extended solo like this one?  

Another feature I have not heard elsewhere - Plant actually sings the ending "ooh ooh, ooh, ooh" and "aah aah, aah, aah" as in the studio version.  Very eerie to hear it live.  Are there any other live versions with that too?   

Every live version I have heard from 1970 to 1972 has an extended solo. And several also have Plant singing the oooh ooohs. The 9.29.71 Osaka gets my top billing because it includes a wicked wah wah section in the solo.

6 hours ago, John M said:

This version has an extended guitar solo.  I have not heard another one like it.  Has anyone else heard a version with an extended solo like this one?  

Another feature I have not heard elsewhere - Plant actually sings the ending "ooh ooh, ooh, ooh" and "aah aah, aah, aah" as in the studio version.  Very eerie to hear it live.  Are there any other live versions with that too?   

Yeah, all the versions of Immigrant Song have an extended solo, but what i believe your talking about in the version you mention is the fact Page sort of plays two solos.  That Hampton one is pretty special.

6 hours ago, Amstel said:

Yeah, all the versions of Immigrant Song have an extended solo, but what i believe your talking about in the version you mention is the fact Page sort of plays two solos.  That Hampton one is pretty special.

I think that's what the OP is getting at.  I immediately thought of 9-29 when I saw the question, it's the only other one I'm aware of that mimics Hampton in this regard, there's sort of a pause, then Jimmy takes off again.  Both versions are special, but Hampton is just so bone-crushingly heavy, one of my all-time favorite performances.  The entire Hampton show is killer, actually. 

18 hours ago, Strider said:

The 9.29.71 Osaka gets my top billing because it includes a wicked wah wah section in the solo.

Thanks.  I went back and listened to that one - fantastic - especially with the wah wah.    

9 hours ago, JohnOsbourne said:

I think that's what the OP is getting at.  I immediately thought of 9-29 when I saw the question, it's the only other one I'm aware of that mimics Hampton in this regard, there's sort of a pause, then Jimmy takes off again.  Both versions are special, but Hampton is just so bone-crushingly heavy, one of my all-time favorite performances.  The entire Hampton show is killer, actually. 

Yes, that is what I was getting at.  It goes on for about another extra minute at Hampton, maybe even longer in the 9-29-71 Osaka show.

• 4 weeks later...
10 hours ago, Xolo1974 said:

There's already a sbd release for this show isn't there? 

Yes, part of the show.  That's why I said no more info given - don't know if the remaining parts will be included or not.  Funny that they'd be promoting it if it wasn't, but that's the bootleg market for ya.

14 hours ago, Walter said:

Yes, part of the show.  That's why I said no more info given - don't know if the remaining parts will be included or not.  Funny that they'd be promoting it if it wasn't, but that's the bootleg market for ya.

This would be very cool if true (the missing parts being released), as this is an awesome show.  Where did you hear that a Hampton release of some kind is upcoming?

On 11/19/2016 at 9:14 PM, Xolo1974 said:

There's already a sbd release for this show isn't there? 

One of the original releases had JPJ's blistering bass on one isolated channel and the rest of the band on the other. A rare chance to hear the bass on its own. Channels must have been mixed up when recorded. 

8 hours ago, JohnOsbourne said:

This would be very cool if true (the missing parts being released), as this is an awesome show.  Where did you hear that a Hampton release of some kind is upcoming?

Haven't seen reviews yet, but this is the artwork. Still not complete. Looks the same as before?

CxtFOMyUkAEvlfS.jpg

CxtFLvsUUAAyj7F.jpg

pics: yuminori0616

2 hours ago, zeplz71 said:

Haven't seen reviews yet, but this is the artwork. Still not complete. Looks the same as before?

CxtFOMyUkAEvlfS.jpg

CxtFLvsUUAAyj7F.jpg

pics: yuminori0616

I'm pretty sure that's a recent reissue of what has already been available. The LedZepNews letter states the following:

"Empress Valley has announced that its next Led Zeppelin bootleg release will be a complete stereo soundboard recording of the Hampton Roads Coliseum September 9 1971 show."

That would be exciting to get the rest of the show!

That would be lovely! Hope there is more of Hampton, VA '71 then.

This is a source of the new rumor, from a Japanese boot vendor describing a new Knebworth audience release and mentions 9/9/71 at the end.
Google conversion to English

LED ZEPPELIN / GALACTIC MESSIAH "savior of the galaxy" (3CD BOX + BONUS DISC) EMPRESS VALLEY SUPREME DISK

Excavation the cassette master of famous analog boot "KNEBWORTH II"! Complete recording of an ultra-high-quality audience recording!

1971 Japan Tour "Black Dog" of authentic sound board master, and the 1970 Montreux performance of the impact of the sound board master released in quick succession EVSD, appeared once again amazing sound! Finally discover you know boot LP "Knebworth II" Roh master cassette! You can enjoy the show of the festival second day of August 11, in that wonderful sound quality. It was incomplete recorded in There is also Duration of the constraints that the analog LP, will be this first complete recording of version! Sound board sound source is the famous show, but is an excellent master that can feel the realistic feeling of air live on the day. Moreover, recorded live in New Barbarians which had appeared in the same festival this time as this box of bonus disc (paper jacket)! Nantes! Here also you a complete recording! Of course sound quality is the best! I do not miss the Stones fan. An article published on the day of NME in this master cassette was being sandwiched as an index. I guess was time for me because their appearance time was early. Because just the article was on the plane of the paper you can also check the date. I I'm such only so much of it I feel the era realistic. It is binding, but it is beautiful obi with paper jacket specification luxury band with box while every time. And I think that was the last live at the Red Tsupperin home country the United Kingdom there are emotional ones. At that time in 1979, I want to obediently grateful to me to come to record over the sea! thank you! Well next time in 1971 sound board! ! ! What what? The full-length version of that "Black Dock"? Ha-ha, no no. Shalt listen to buy the time being lock Carnival box. Although the story has it, it appeared on September 9 Hampton concert 1971! New excavation! But the full-length version of that stereo source! ! !

I'm definitely hoping that we get to hear the rest of the Hampton show, but I wonder that what the translation is really saying is that they'll be releasing the same incomplete show, but this time it will have that overloaded bass track in the stereo left channel.  I don't believe that stereo version ever got put onto disc in its entirety, so this would be a first. Would love to be proven wrong.

Rrrreally nice topic, so for the first time in ten years I took my Hampton-cd (Hampton Kicks/House of Elrond) out of its high security storage- I should have known better:

Ah, Yes, the Solo is quite extended & I even got to Black Dog- but I have suffered agonies to get this far. Good Lord, this is the most rotten LZ-SBD I have ever heard.

Did I miss a better release of this show? But I don`t think so, isn`t it still: Orlando top/ Toronto moderate & Hampton sucks?!

It took a intense journey from Berkeley to Osaka to get over this Hampton-disaster...........

Archived