Montreux Multitracks 1970, 1971, 1972

Sticks of Fire

It's pretty exciting to have the new recording surface for the Montreux 3/7/70 concert.   It was thought for many years that the shows in Montreux were either recorded professionally and filmed too by the legendary Claude Knobs.  He was known to record everything and his vaults are extensive.  

The 1970 concert was broadcast either live or shortly after the show.  Two different recordings of the radio broadcast exist but they are both poor quality and incomplete.   

This new recording of the last 4 songs has incredible sound and it sounds as good as any Official multitrack release of Zeppelin.  

Im wondering if there is any evidence of the two 1971 and the two 1972 concerts being recorded (or broadcast) in the same manner as the new 1970 recording?

It is unfortunate that the world seems to forget what I call Zeps first real concert Aug. 1969. It was staged at the Anaheim Convention Center, CA. The front band was Jethro Tull w/Ian Anderson. Both bands only had one album released at the time. Tull was on fire instruments and vocals were great. Then Zep took the stage. And it was a real mess. Jimmy, John B. and John P. J. were so great. However, when Robert opened his vocals the whole group fell apart. Mr. Plant seemed to have forgotten the words to each song so with a screechy voice he seemed to make noises from each player killing their performance.

I,  to this day feel so fortunate to have been able to attend. I went on to see them two more times live and they were wonderful. Over the years on and off I wondered if I was the only one thinking that Tull had ran away with the show in 69'. Until I recently read the critics on Led Zeppelin's 1969 web site (still on line) almost felt and and wrote as I did  - uncanny... Today from the President of the United States on down would agree with me that Led Zeppelin is the best Rock Band ever also Jimmy Page is the all time greatest guitar player in the world for all time.  Robert, Jimmy and John have perfected their music not to forget the contribution John B. made in the earlier years helping propel the surviving  three members into Super Stardom.

Archived